Feeling defeated

Blndbunny

I feel like I have hit that breaking point with my current tank. I have put everything I have, blood sweat tears and $$$ and I swear it's plotting against me!

For my 16 gallons of pests as it will now be know, today's new pest was/is montipora eating nudis. I have no idea where these little **** came from. I haven't put a monti in the tank since July. I'm ridiculously meticulous in dipping and remounting every single frag in this tank. I have quarantined every fish in the tank.

My orange digi was doing some serious pouting, as was my forest fire digi, so I figured why not dip. My water parameters we all good so I figured it was likely something bugging them. I really didn't expect to see those ****. I then pulled and dipped all my monti but one. Sadly my Idaho grape is massive and heavily encrusted onto some live rock, and has a nem living in the cervix between it and the rock. I dipped first in coral RX then in bayer advanced. Likely overkill but I want them DEAD.

Then add some stupid algea that nothing will eat, and it won't die and I feel like throwing in the towel! I feel like all I ever do is work on this tank and it's one problem after another. I honestly don't mond the work, in fact I enjoy the maitinence, it's just frustrating when you see no return on the work. I know that this is just a low point, and I'll likely be over it after a good nights sleep. However having fellow reefers who understand the frustration and will listen to me vent is greatly appreciated!

Thank you guys for reading :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hang in there & best of luck with the bayer advanced, hopefully that will work and you got a good night sleep that will make you ready to give it a new go, you can defeat the problems !

sirrealism

Man thats rough. I fell ya. On the other hand as time goes by you have learned what to look for and gained knowledge. I will admit in the 20 years i have been doing this I have never had nudis. "I say this now and will end up with them next week" But i have been through my share of pests. I had red bugs wipe out my smooth acros in 2 weeks. Talk about money down the drain. wile this was happening and because I didnt know about the red bugs I moved corals to different tanks thinking it must be water quality or lighting so that just transfered them to my other tanks and more acros. If you have ever heard of red bugs think of them as red copapods that do nothing but eat smooth acros. The only true cure is to use a product called interceptor which is no longer made in the us and even when it was it was a heart worm med for dogs that you could only get with a script. The only other choice was to buy it from australia which took 3 weeks to get here. so for 3 weeks I dipped and watched the red bugs eat my prize acros. So I do feel your pain. I lost a couple thousand worth of acros. The ones that did make it still look pretty bad and this was 6 months ago. But it will get better

reefle

you're putting in the work! I'm sure things will turn out for the better. Keep chugging! :)

Joeys Tank

I'm cheering for you! I hate to sound corny with the following but ...

All beautiful marble statues come into being one chip at a time.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sorry things are so difficult for you right now, you came to a good place to vent.
Wish I could give you better suggestions. I'm still dealing with a sprig or two of algae that nothing eats, I've heard can take over a tank but I haven't let it take over mine yet.
Hang in there & stay determined to defeat the pests. :rocket:
(You will WIN!! :yehoo: )

reefer gladness

Interceptor is not longer on the market but the replacement product from Sentinel is also reported to be successful at wiping out red bugs. Like Interceptor it also wipes all the other pods in your system so be sure to treat separately.

Hope you keep at it. There's a guy that's been aquaculturing SPS corals for several years now in my area that has some handy advice for pests that trouble SPS corals.

http://www.garretts-acropolis.com/

reefer gladness

Interceptor is not longer on the market but the replacement product from Sentinel is also reported to be successful at wiping out red bugs. Like Interceptor it also wipes all the other pods in your system so be sure to treat separately.

Hope you keep at it. There's a guy that's been aquaculturing SPS corals for several years now in my area that has some handy advice for pests that trouble SPS corals.

http://www.garretts-acropolis.com/

(yes that is an OUTDOOR frag tank)

Blndbunny

thanks everyone!

Today everything is looking better, and I'm certainly feeling better about the tank. My plan is to beak down this tank once my new one is ready. I won't be moving any of my montis until they are clean happy and nudi free! I'm now considering emptying this tank and then running is as a coral quarantine tank

Stephane Cote

I feel you. When i came into this hobby i had to learn every little detail and glad these boards are here! That being said, things are finally settling down with some exceptions. I had to fight off a bunch of problems myself but i think I'm starting to get on top. my current pertaining problem is still brown sand. but it's a small thing compared to what i went through.

Keep chugging, eventually you will come on top and you will learn to appreciate you tank even more!

Steph