Feeding while away from home

imaccat

Hi,

Next week I have to go away for 3 days and I am struggling to work out how I can feed my fish while I am away without calling in the neighbours. For my QT I have an auto feeder on a timer, but for the RSM I can't find one that would work because of the closed top.

How does anybody else handle leaving the tank for a few days, or should it be ok without feeding for 3 days?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

fruit bat

I would think they will be fine without food for three days, I would be more concerned about the water level, so i would lower the skimmer comb whilst away.

DrHank

Your tank should be fine without feeding for 3 days. You may come home and find that it looks even better than when you left.

I've left my tank for a week without any losses.

imaccat

Thanks for your help. I will still set the auto feeder up on the QT, as there is nothing except a plastic log for the angel to nibble on.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 to the good advise above... just back from 5 days vacation - had sister-in-law feed tank once... a very very small amount, that I pre-measured for her into a plastic bag.

Nigma

yeah i am in the same boat as Lain.... but i am going to be leaving for 7 days... now the tank does have pod like things swimming around... can my fish live on that for 7 days?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've had my fish go for 7+ days without food but it wasn't intentional. The guy I had "Trained" (probably TrainER fault not trainEE) was feeding my ATO Reservoir and not the tank.

I do admit (and have several times) that my tanks usually look significantly better after my vacations than before. I don't know if it's because I "missed" them so much and am genuinely just thrilled to see them (absence makes the heart grow fond no? :dunno:) or if they are really just BETTER off without me :nono:!

If you "Want" to get someone to check on your tank and feed (Checking on a tank daily is a GREAT idea BTW just in case) you can pre-measure the food servings. I do this with all my tanks. I pre-measure the amount I want fed to the tank (every 2nd or 3rd day) and I put that amount into an ice cube tray. I then add any liquids (selcom etc) and top the cube off with RO/DI water and put into the freezer. Once frozen I label a bag for each tank (12g at work 90g at home) and leave written instructions like:

Turn off Red Switch labeled RETURN and add (1) Frozen Food Cube to this tank. Wait 10 minutes and turn Red Switch labeled RETURN back on.

I also have the name of my friends who are fish-nerds on the instructions in case I can't be reached there is someone to call for "support". This way just about anyone I trust can come over look at the tank and feed if you need them to. Just always make sure to stress they follow the instructions and NOT feed more than suggested and that the fish will ALWAYS act hungry regardless of how much they are fed.

imaccat

:laughroll Thanks Big Al, that made me laugh :laughroll about feeding the ATO and good advice too. Normally when we are away for longer holidays my in-laws house sit for us and look after the menagerie (cats, rabbits & fish). My father-in-law is very well trained on the feeding regime. But as this is only 3 days I will leave the fish to look after themselves.

Dash10

So this is my improvised system of taking care of my tank while I'm away for extended periods of time. Works like a charm.

1. Auto-top off

2. Flip-open the front lid of my tank to control temperature (often I don't have the air conditioning on) and to place an automatic fish feeder that juts out just far enough so the food pellets fall into the water.

3. This might seem a bit overkill, but because I don't trust the pumps in my tank (I've come home on several occasions to a tank full of bubbles because of something impeding water flow), I've set up a webcam that faces my tank directly. There are a number of webcam services out there that stream live to an internet site (I use Mobiscope Mobiscope - Video from webcams on mobile) that you can log onto via your smartphone or simply by logging on to the web. I can now checkin on my tank any time of the day to make sure everything is Ok. This has made a HUGE difference for me in worrying about my tank while I'm away. Two thumbs up in my books.

Hope this helps!

imaccat

Dash10,

Thanks for the info, I have an ATO and chiller, so water level and temp shouldn't be a problem. The only thing is the feeding, I'm not going to worry about that now just for a couple of days, but I will look at a feeder for longer periods. Co-incidently I have just bought an app for my iPhone so I can log onto my webcam, which I was thinking about positioning in front of the tank while I'm away, although I haven't had any problems with micro bubbles from the pumps.

Cheers