external skimmer 250

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Terry I placed my order... I just didn't tell you...
010.gif

it's for a 250D

and everything is fixed, no need for a chiller & it has a skimmer that works great...

in my dreams...

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
The skimmer had better be above your tank. if it is below your tank, it will create a siphon if the return pump ever goes off

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
lol Glenn, at first glance I thought you had ordered a 250D..

It seems too good to be true. I'm pretty clueless with skimmer design, so how can a skimmer be in an closed loop? If it is sitting below the tank then why wouldn't the water not go up and out the cup? (flood)? Surely it would either have to sit in a sump or beside the tank at the same water level? Maybe i'm missing something and not picturing it correctly...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
hmmmm... now there you go... spoiling my dreams with a lot of reality lol :)

now why didn't the marine depot tech point that out to me... :)

seriously thanks for the feedback guys... told U at start of this thread... sumps & all my weak suit...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Well maybe my thread will spark some thought... from someone to figure out a way... :)

if not... I will continue to dream about my make believe 250D :)

RaysReef

Bummer, I wanted to dream the same dream. I was already thinking I could sell my chiller and spend the cash on some new LPS..

But seriously, maybe putting in a sump wouldn't be that much hassle ... I like the ideas Glenn..

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Why does a sump not drain all the water out, but an external skimmer will?

Sure there is a simple answer, I just don't know what it is...

RaysReef

I've read that deltec and reviews. Must be in a sump or maybe beside the sump? (Think of the sump as a little tank and forget the aquarium)

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
The water in a sump does not drain the tank dry because of its size. When you have a sump, you have an overflow and return. When the pumps are off, the water will siphon out through the overflow and return until they are exposed to air and the siphon is broken - when they reach the new water level. The amount of water that drains out is called the downflow capacity - a term not much used anymore.

A sump is simply large enough to hold this amount of water. People who undersize their sumps get floods.

Its really easy to fix. Simply drill a 1/8" hole on your return to allow air in and it will break the siphon quickly and limit the amount that will drain out. With a little planning not a problem at all

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Technical Data:
Can be stood either in or beside a sump or beside the aquarium.

so if it's beside a sump or beside the aquarium... it has to be above it?

RaysReef

I dont see why it has to be above it? Being beside a sump is the same thing as being beside an aquarium??

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Technical Data:
Can be stood either in or beside a sump or beside the aquarium.

so if it's beside a sump or beside the aquarium... it has to be above it?

The waterline in the skimmer has to be equal or above the waterline in the tank. The skimmer will then siphon overflow into the tank. that will work quite well

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Glenn - here's a page by Melev that has an animation of how a sump works, and what happens when the return pump shuts off (or is on). Note the tiny circle at the top of the return line on the left side - that's the siphon break hole mentioned by Clownfish518 - when the return pump is powered off that line will only drain the tank till it gets to that hole, which allows air in the line and it stops draining the tank at that level.

On the right side is the siphon box (such as the LifeReef overflow), These have an inner & out box, with a u-tube that siphons water from the tank through the inner box, through the u-tube to the outer box, & then gravity fed to the sump below. When the return pump shuts off, the water in the back of the RSM stops entering the inner box when it gets below the edge of the inner box. The u-tube doesn't lose it's water in the LifeReef, and when the pump comes back on, the water level rises again in the inner box and restarts the gravity feed to the sump again.

Hopefully the animation will help make sense of all this:

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

It's actually a pretty simple system, with only one pump needed of the proper size (and a good, fool-proof siphon overflow like the LifeReef).

I love it since I can run my skimmer, reactor & ATO in the sump, and I have a constant water level in the DT and in the back - and zero microbubbles.