expected skimmer output

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Rocks,
Mine is 3/4 of a inch above the bottom of my pumps. Thats where I have it set at with the Tunze Osmolator.
Does you skimmer have a air adjustment on it?

MatthewJ

The best way to raise the level in back (other than clean filters) is to drop that gate all the way to the bottom to get maximum water pulled into the back.

I had been keeping the water level just below the plastic rim and the gate partially closed so that the surface would get skimmed. Otherwise it has a bunch of crud in it. I will try to open up the gate (I already raised water level) and see what happens. The new Hydor deflector might help with the crud.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
My level in the tank is just below the back trim, and in the pump chamber about 1/2" below the pump tops. When it drops about 1.5 - 2" below the pump tops I know it's time to clean or replace my filter pad before I start getting a whiteout of microbubbles.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
If it does back off on the air. This will do two things:
1. Cutting off the air intake will increase the water intake and it may raise the water level in the skimmer a bit more.
2. If not, you can restrict the output on the skimmer useing a piece of sponge to block off part of the water output going out of the skimmer.
I have never seen that thing out of the water, so I am just throwing ideas out there and trying to help. I KNOW it's different then mine!
Does anyone know if the pump is different too??

redseareef

RS Sponsor
I know that skimmer works. I have seen it! Heck, I have my 20.00 Rio skimmer for a hang on back up for othe rtanks and it works once you get it dialed in. And that thing is TOTALLY CHEESY!!!!

MatthewJ

okay, after cleaning the skimmer, raising the level of water in the tank and opening the overflow gate fully...I'm starting to see reasonable skimmate. The only problem is the water in the main tank is really high. I have to be really carefully when I put my arm in the tank. Is having the water that high okay? I really think that is what did the trick.

Here's a snapshot of the new action. This is in 24-48 hours. Is the skimmate too watery or just about right?

DSCF1419.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Wow - that's a definite improvement! The color of the skimmate looks good. It shows how water level dependent the skimmer can be, plus the other changes should have helped also. How high have you got the water level in the main tank? If it's too high for comfort maybe try draining it a bit to see at what point the skimmer stops skimming. It sounds like you're close to the top of the black rim?

redseareef

RS Sponsor
myusernamerocks,
BRAVO!!!!! I knew it was that water level!!! Nice job dude! Well, if I had that whole skimmer in front of me I know I could get the water level up in it, and the water level down in the tank.
If you get really ambitious, take it out and fire me off some pics!!! I want to see the bottom of the skimmer where the water exits rocks!
Once I see the size of that opening, we can go from there. The high water level can then be lowered in the main tank.
Please post of picture of the water level in the tank too if you can. I would like to see where it sits.
Yea, that skimmate looks great! What a improvement!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
if he's close to the top of the rim thats a disaster waiting to happen. Post a picture Rocks. Lets check it out.
The bottom line is this: The water level in the skimmer needs to be able to set higher then the water level in the tank. Does adjusting the airvalve raise the water level in the skimmer body?

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Also, a very important question that clicked in my head when I was in the bathroom......LOL.............Water is the water level in the tank vs. in the back on the other side of the grate?

MatthewJ

Thanks guys! I might have given up without your help. :bow:
I'll be ecstatic if I don't have to buy another skimmer. The water level with my arm completely submerged and hand on the bottom of the tank is about half way up the plastic rim, so I think I'm okay. It's slightly above the bottom of the rim otherwise. There are a couple reasons I think the level in the skimmer is too low.
  1. the floor in my basement is not perfectly level. The tank is slightly lower in the front, resulting in the water being higher in the front. It isn't much, but every bit counts I think.
  2. I don't have the normal media in the pump chamber. Currently, I just have a bag of chemipure elite. I think lack of the normal charcoal and ceramic media increases flow, which lowers the water level in the skimmer chamber. I say this only because if I turn one of the pumps off, the water goes up in the skimmer chamber. My thinking is that if I had that other media in there it would have a similar effect.
That second one is just a wag, since I don't understand the physics behind the skimmer and pumps. It seems plausible to me though:yup: I'll let you know how it goes over the next few days.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
nice attention to detail! I have a few notes of you:

1. You can shim the front of the tank. It will take a few guys though to help you do it. I had to do tha tonce years ago. That would help to get the tank level and the water level in the back chambers higher.
I will not say how much, because I would have to see it. It certainly is working against your skimmer, as it is in the very back!!!!
That will lower the water level in the tank too.
My tank does the exact same thing. Turn one pump off and the water level goes up in the back! It's just gravity doing it's thing rocks.
Since you have minimal adjustments on that skimmer. Keep that pump CLEAN!!!! That output of that pump is giving you your water level in that skimmer. Or should I say mildly pressurizing the skimmer body.
Hey, great man! No money spent for another skimmer yet! LOL!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
redseareef - here are a couple links to pages that should give you an idea of what the older model RSM skimmer looks like. Both links illustrate some extensive mods done by mbdave. The first is from the old RSM Club we had going on Reef Central (dead now and reborn here at Reef Sanctuary!):

RSM Skimmer Mod

The second link is also mbdave's mod but the information is here on Reef Sanctuary:

RSM Skimmer Mod 2

Note that the older skimmer had no bottom - strange. mbdave has added a bottom and made a few other changes.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Yes, he raised the water level by adding a standpipe and sealing up the bottom. He could have put another pipe inside with a few grooves and o-rings. This would have givin it infinate level adjustability! It may not have needed it though. Size restrictions are always a real pain.
Nice job mbdave!
All the ASM's, Euroreefs, and many others have been useing this design for a long time. It works well.
Essentially, the 130d skimmer has a standpipe too! It's the threaded neck. Same thing, different location. I am assuming too that the new pump is pumping more gph. They learned from their mistakes,lol. We all do, and The Good Lord knows I have made alot!!!!
PRetty cool! That is a option for you rocks if you are not happy with your current water levels. Your skimmer does look like it's working quite well now!
Hey Mack, is that small acan being saved for "The RedSea MAx Frag traders club????LOL

redseareef

RS Sponsor
actually there is a typo in my thread. My threaded neck is just for fine tuning. They got the pump size right on this one! Possibly the hole size too on the bottom of the skimmer.
I sure am happy with mine.....

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
redseareef - give my acans a chance to be enjoyed before I start selling them or chopping them up LOL! The latest addition (green/red one) looked even better on day 3!

By the way - if you get a chance could you post a picture of the top of the 130D skimmer? I know you had posted one early in your tank thread, but it was too small (pre-Photobucket) and I couldn't see any detail. You might still have the picture & could just repost with Photobucket?

redseareef

RS Sponsor
RM,
Yes, I will post some good pics of the unit now that you taught me how to use photobucker and post pics...........LOL

MatthewJ

Just thought I'd follow up. The skimmer is still working fairly well (relatively speaking). I leveled the tank by adding some shims in the front. I'm going to clean the skimmer cup every 3-4 days. I just dumped the cup and it was probably about 1/2" or so deep with skimmate. It's probably about 1 weeks worth. I still really believe that raising the water level is what had the most impact.