Exhaust fans on RSM250 making a ton of noise?

Hi all,

I've had my RSM250 up and running now since January and am overall very happy with it. I've upgraded to the NanoReef skimmer to reduce heat/noise and to improve skimming. Also added 2 MP40wes. Critters are all doing great and can't wait to continue to watch the tank evolve.

However, the fans on the exhaust side (right side of tank) are making a ton of noise upon start-up - I can tap the hood to get them back to normal operating decibels, but I'm fearing that the fans are going bad. Question is have people generally replaced them with the stock units from RedSea (potentially under warranty) or have you upgraded to a different fan altogether? As it's a pain to take off the entire hood and do the work, I'd like to replace all 4 fans (intake & exhaust) at once, and preferably for a long time.

I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions....

Thanks!

Excellent read. Looks like going the route of aftermarket, though having to do some mods, will be the better route as it also lessens the overall noise. Thanks for the link!

Acanman

I went thru the mess of changing out tge fans couple months ago. It baffles me that such a well thought out system like the rsm250 would come up so short when it comes to changing out the fans. They could have easily engineered those things to slide in and out (like the rear one). Must have slacked off that week of D and D. If I woulda been informed about the pain I would have to go thru every year to change those things out I never would bought it. Sorry I know this doesnt help. I always feel the need to vent when anyone talks about the fans :(. Good luck

I went thru the mess of changing out tge fans couple months ago. It baffles me that such a well thought out system like the rsm250 would come up so short when it comes to changing out the fans. They could have easily engineered those things to slide in and out (like the rear one). Must have slacked off that week of D and D. If I woulda been informed about the pain I would have to go thru every year to change those things out I never would bought it. Sorry I know this doesnt help. I always feel the need to vent when anyone talks about the fans :(. Good luck

I couldn't agree more. Either make the stock fans more robust or make the process of swapping them much more user friendly. I can't believe I'm going to have to disassemble the entire hood for a $5 part. Good news is that having done an LED conversion, I'm fully aware of the process for taking it apart - doesn't make it any more comforting though.

Completed the install of the silenx extrema fans last night (4 of them) and had to check with string to insure they were actually running - they are that quiet. Great mod and thanks for the advice!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great news - you are very welcome - thanks for the feedback !!! Can you post a link to the ones you bought?

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I don't have a problem with the hood fans making noise. In fact, I left them in when I installed the Radions. They come on thirty minutes before the lights and go off thirty minutes after. You can't even hear them running. I have problems with the back cooling fan. I finally figured out it is because the blades are rubbing the case. I also have mine blowing into the tank. Mainly because I cleaned them and then couldn't remember how they went back in. Made sense to me that they blow into the hood. However, if you push them completely into the space they are supposed to fit in. They rattle, seems to put them in a bind and makes the blades hit the casing.