Ever tasted tank water?

Have you ever tasted tank water?

• Every day!

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Often enought to tell which tank the water came from.

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • A mouthful every now and then.

Votes: 60 35.3%
  • Just a drop or two every now and then.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • Just once.

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • Never!

Votes: 17 10.0%

• Total voters

sharks

Contributing Member
LOL I was thinking my FW tank was too salty. So I tasted it. Yup it was salty I put a few drop on my tongue. So much I tested it and it was 1.001 on a float hydrometer! That’s way too much for a FW tank.

I've become a siphon pro at the LFS and have not drank (Scottish Word ;) ) vacuum water in many years.

Brucey you made me gag thinking about that ;)

The worst mouthful I ever got was when I was tearing down my 46g last week. After I removed all the live rock I was trying to siphon the last 5or6 gallons out when I took the biggest mouthful of funk. I used about half a bottle of Listerine to get rid of that taste.

Newt

Craig Manoukian said:
I know your secret!

As well do I... Working at a LFS you learn quickly not to start a siphon by mouth, especially in a goldfish feeder tank.... :columbo:

Keep that secret safe, we're a lucky bunch. LOL!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
JeepersReefers said:
The worst mouthful I ever got was when I was tearing down my 46g last week. After I removed all the live rock I was trying to siphon the last 5or6 gallons out when I took the biggest mouthful of funk. I used about half a bottle of Listerine to get rid of that taste.

:eek: :columbo:

Newt

Kim, honestly the easiest way by far is using a pump. But if you're just using a siphon the trick is to have a bucket handy, submerge the vacuum end of the siphon under water, then remove and hold it up letting the water flow through the end into the bucket, stop the flow on the end and make sure some water is still in the vacuum end, then again submerge the siphon/vacuum end while still plugging the other end and get angle the tip of the siphon to remove the air. Keep it under water, let the water flow through, and there ya go!

May seem complicated, but I hope my writeup makes some sort of sense to explain how it works..

rckmtl

like witty said, submersible pumps are great. Jk's method is the tried and true one. It really does sound complicated in writing, but is super-simple once you've done it.

Another thing to think on is this. Use a longer hose. Then you can suck to start the siphon but have -plenty- of time to get your mouth out of the way.

KimPossible

Got it! Thanks :)
Actually, all it took was one BIG chug o' funk and I figured out that I only needed to suck lightly and keep my eye glued to the hose duing the process. But I remember thinking Saturday....Geez! I dont want to put my mouth on that!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I just submerse the entire hose in the water, plug one end with my thumb (leaving the other end submersed), put the 'plugged end' into the bucket and release my thumb... gravity takes care of the rest ;)

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Woodstock said:
I just submerse the entire hose in the water, plug one end with my thumb (leaving the other end submersed), put the 'plugged end' into the bucket and release my thumb... gravity takes care of the rest ;)

Ditto Woody... :cool:

Cheers!
:columbo:

gussy

Woodstock said:

Yeah...but you get your hands wet. As opposed to your mouth...which is already wet and thirsty! :jumprope:

Craig Manoukian

gussy said:
Yeah...but you get your hands wet. :jumprope:

Shame on you for not using waterproof gloves gussy! :turntable

A subermisble pump in a bucket with the intake hose in the tank also does the trick! :columbo:

alice_curiouser

I actually have a nice PH/hose combo, but by the time I drag it out from under the stand, wipe off the cat hair, plug it in, etcetera... I find it easier to just do the ol' hose in the mouth trick. Sometimes I get a mouthful, but like Kim said, I try not to suck too hard, and ALWAYS keep my eyes on the hose.

addict

Holy resurrection Batman!

Well, since this thread popped up to the top, I figured I'd add my $.02...
I'm in the same boat as JeepersReefers... do not... ever... try to siphon out the last couple of inches of fouled, rotten, dirty sandbed water in your tank... you're only asking for trouble.

The problem is that you have to get a lot of suction going, because you're having to draw that water up about 16" or so to get it over the tank wall, and then it just comes out like a firehose... you'd need to have the reflexes of a Mantis Shrimp to not get nailed in that situation. :D

That taste is still with me... though my wife found it hysterical. :D

Icebox

I can not believe you are admitting to this...

I would never suck on the end of a hose. :LOL:

Actually when I have it is the bottom of the tank trying to get what the pump would not.. Man that is rough.

Gina

RS STAFF
We do all our water changing with a pump and long hose now on the 75. But, Sunday we emptied out the 30 cube that has been a temporary home for the fish and did it the old way. Yes, I got a mouth full of it!

Made me hungry for fish that night! LOL