Ever tasted tank water?

Have you ever tasted tank water?

• Every day!

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Often enought to tell which tank the water came from.

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • A mouthful every now and then.

Votes: 60 35.3%
  • Just a drop or two every now and then.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • Just once.

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • Never!

Votes: 17 10.0%

• Total voters

gussy

Today I had the biggest mouthful, ever, of tank water from priming a sipon hose and I could not spit it out immediate as I didn't have a container. Had to hold it in my mouth for close to a minute!

Witfull

being a former surfer,,,i all to well know a mouth (and lung) full of salt water is like,,,when it tastes like RO,,,your an OFR~~

strat

yeah, having surfed before and being a diver ive had my sodium intake for sure... but its one thing to have it from the ocean another out of a tank, yuck.... hopefully i wont be tasting that too often :D

strat

EricShane

I love drinking water out of my tank! mmmm! Its almost as good as drinking from the toilet! :D

lol jk, I hate it when the water siphons out to fast, used to I would get a mouthful everytime

mps9506

:) Being a surfer I always have residual saltwater in my sinus caveties and ears throat etc.
However I have mastered not getting water in my mouth during water changes.
Just stick the tube you are using to drain the water in front of the outlet of a powerhead or the return pipe outlet. It'll push water up far enough to start the siphon without needing to suck on anything.
I also got really good at starting siphons working at the pet store and aquarium. At the aquarium I had to do water changes on the turtle qt tanks, you learn really quick how to start a siphon so as not to get turtle poop in your mouth. I'm gagging just remember that.....

Mike

Brucey

Once the water level in my skimmer raised above the minimum height I needed to remove the waste cup and the waste cup was filling up too quickly due to the increased level. So I got a siphon hose and tried to siphon the muck in the cup out . . . . . . . I got a mouthful. Ummmm, NOT NICE.
Brucey

Gina

RS STAFF
Brucey said:
Once the water level in my skimmer raised above the minimum height I needed to remove the waste cup and the waste cup was filling up too quickly due to the increased level. So I got a siphon hose and tried to siphon the muck in the cup out . . . . . . . I got a mouthful. Ummmm, NOT NICE.
Brucey

Now, that's what I call nasty :barf: LOL
I've gotten pretty good at getting the siphon started. Haven't had it happen in a long time!

rckmtl

I lost my hydometer for a few months once, but was so flat broke I couldn't buy a new one. My fish demanded thier water changes, so I ended up trying to adjust the salinity by taste. Nothing died so I kept at it till I got a new hydrometer, tested the water and it was right on target!

-Ellen-

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Brucey said:
Brucey

:barf:

rckmtl said:
I lost my hydometer for a few months once, but was so flat broke I couldn't buy a new one. My fish demanded thier water changes, so I ended up trying to adjust the salinity by taste. Nothing died so I kept at it till I got a new hydrometer, tested the water and it was right on target!

-Ellen-

Ok..you guys are WAY too dedicated!! :columbo:

RanRoc

I used to at every water change. I've been using one of those self-siphoning gadgets for the past few months. I learned my lesson!
-RY

Cougra

LOL I USED to get mouthfuls of water but I smartened up and got a powerhead to pump water in and out of the tank. However I have to say this occured after I dumped 5gallons of water on my head while lifting it to pour the water into my tank. (Combination of being distracted while on the phone, having a stand that was too high for me with a high tank and being short does NOT make a good combination while lifting water buckets.)