ErnestoC RSM 650 S Piece Of Sea

yycguy

Great looking tank!!! I also had a Mantis Hitchhiker. Good luck in getting him out? I also tried the trap method and never had any luck either. What I did do as someone else mentioned is saw him go in a rock then immediately pulled that rock out, I placed it in a bucket of saltwater and increased the salinity till he didn't like it and out he came.
Anyway he was the ugliest Mantis I ever saw so ill end the story there.
Good luck with yours, btw your live video with your clown fish is fantastic....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LucienBM

Twelve years ago, I built a 75 gallon tank with Live Rock right out of the Gulf of Mexico. I had problems with about six of those little Mantis Shrimp that bothered me for months. I never caught one in a trap. I would observe and catch them in a shallow hole in the rock. That's the only way I could catch them. It took a long time and they either died or I caught them all....not sure which.

Needless to say, this most recent build on my RSM 650 was done with dry rock from BRS. This way I know what went into the tank on the rock. Now I just have to be sure to quarantine everything to keep the unwanted pests and diseases to a minimum going forward. I liked the diversity of life on the live rock but hated the pests.

Good luck!

modulok

I had a small mantis in a live rock I bought. I saw him in a tiny hole next to my Blenny's hole. The Blenny would try and catch the mantis, but he was so quick and ducked into his hole.

I was scared he would grow large and be a problem. So I removed the rock and flushed him out with hot tap water. He was very stubborn but I got him out of the rock.

I gave him to a friend and he was living in his tank for almost a year before he tore it down. I probably should have kept him, but I didn't know he would stay small and just grab food passing by his home.

ErnestoC

Mission accomplished!

[video=youtube;Rlm9Pk8uqBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlm9Pk8uqBE[/video]

Now, does someone wants to buy a Lime Green Mantis?... 20.00 ;)

I will keep it in my sump for a while and see its behavior :)

modulok

Very cool. I had a shrimp in the sump and he got sucked through the return pump.
Toss some food in there and tape it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:woohoo: Ernesto Well done mate !

He would be great for a small new mantis tank of his own - but you were right on blaming him for any deaths you had

Make a post in the RS forum & see if anyone wants him :)

Mantis Shrimp

Nob35

Congrats on the catch. Please let us know how you caught him in case we need to do the same. Hope the pics of my sump give you better idea of my setup and help you with any ideas you have about modifying yours. So far I'm very happy with my changes. If you want any more information just let me know and give me specifics of the info you want and I will try to get it for you.