ErnestoC Red Sea Max 250 Piece Of Sea

ErnestoC

Thanks guys! I am very exited about this... now my only concern is the weight.. the building managment told me that the floors can handle 200 lbs /ft2 .. my building is a 44 stores building, concrete floors... I am guessing the tank with rocks, waer, sand and the tank weight itself must go to 2600 lbs the area of the tank is 5.5 ft x 2.3 = 12.65 ft sq.. that mans I have to divide 2600 lbs / 12.65 right? That would be 205.6 lbs/ft2 ? I am trying to get the math correct :)

If this is the average... will I need a base to expand the weight or do you think the tank could make it?

SaltyDave

Ernesto,
How did you come up with 2600 lbs? I did a quick calc. and got much less.
650 liters x .264172= 171.7 gallons. Say 172 gallons x 10lbs a gallon (saltwater is 8.35lbs a gallon plus sand etc.)
1720lbs divided by 12.65sg.ft.= 136lbs/sq.ft. I might be off but you should be OK and we'll under 200lbs/ft.
David

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Don't know if Dave's #'s are correct ^ but Cheers for working the numbers mate & helping !

They look about right to me... Maybe others can confirm :dance:

ErnestoC

Ernesto,
How did you come up with 2600 lbs? I did a quick calc. and got much less.
650 liters x .264172= 171.7 gallons. Say 172 gallons x 10lbs a gallon (saltwater is 8.35lbs a gallon plus sand etc.)
1720lbs divided by 12.65sg.ft.= 136lbs/sq.ft. I might be off but you should be OK and we'll under 200lbs/ft.
David

Hi David

I came with that number because of this factors:

Tank weight: I called RSM and told me the s650 itself weights 838 lbs
I calculated water this way... 650 liters (each liter is 1 kilo) then 645 kilograms multiplied by 2.2 = 1419 pounds.
This is without rock... I am calculating 200lbs of rock, maybe I am wrong here but ok lets think about 1 pound of rock for each gallon in the manin tank which are 150 gallons, then there are 150 lbs
Sand.. I dont know how much sand I need for this tank but 60 pounds is ok?

so...

838 + 1419 + 150 + 60= 2467 lbs

Now the tank dimensions are 64 inches x 70 inches = 1792 sq.in (12.44 sq.ft)

2467 lbs divided by 12.44 sq.ft = 198.31 lbs/sq.ft

Please David, correct me if I am wrong. I am not that good at math and I really appreciate your input.

Ok if 198.31 lbs/sq.ft is correct, the parameters my building gave me (200 lbs/sq.ft) so my question is...

Just as a precaution would I add a base 2 in larger and wider than the tank to spread the weight?

Thanks for all your help guys! If I see that everything is ok and I feel there is green flag, today I go and pay it :)

SaltyDave

I think your calcs are correct. When I did mine I did not know the actual weight of the s650 itself.
Keep in mind that the 200lbs/ft that the building people told you is probably a conservative number.

They probably got that number from a structural engineer and they always factor in a saftey margin.
I am a Architect and work with structural engineers. Spreading the load with a larger base might be a good idea if you
Want to be really safe.
David

David Shaw

Spreading the load with a larger base might be a good idea if you
Want to be really safe.
David

That's exactly what i did. My cut to size wood base helps big time spreading the load and gives added piece of mind. For what it cost, your mad not to do it as it is all but hidden once the tank is sat upon it

ErnestoC

That's exactly what i did. My cut to size wood base helps big time spreading the load and gives added piece of mind. For what it cost, your mad not to do it as it is all but hidden once the tank is sat upon it
'

Hi David, I gave a lot of thought to this but friends of mine that are on construction told me that this kind of buildings can handle this weight and more.. I even talked to an engineer here on the building and told me it was safe so lets cross fingers.

800# for the empty tank? That seems really high!

Yes that is what Red Sea Max told me, 838 pounds of tank and furniture. I really think it is too much aswell.

Today I went to select my Rock. I found great big pieces for it.. I like big rocks so the ones I have plus these must do great.. got 100 pounds plus the ones I have in the RSM 250... around 170 lbs of rock

Sand will be Caribsea Arag-Alive west Caribbean Reef.. I got 120 lbs but the guys from the delivery will bring 40 lbs more just in case they are needed.... the same with rock, they will bring other extra pieces

So now... the Sump... what do you recommend more... to do a refugium on the side or add reactors.... of can I do both? what about filers like chemipure elite? Do I add them since the beginning? What are your suggestions? This is my first sump and will be a new experience for me :)

SaltyDave

Ernesto,
I agree with David. Smart to do the base now.
It is amazing the empty tank weighs more than 800 lbs?!

Looking forward to seeing your build photos!!

David

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm pumped to see the build. Although 800 sounds obscene. My 220 is 1/2 inch n maybe 400 lbs. Keep us informed buddy!

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

RedSea Aviad

RS Sponsor
One word if I may.
The MAX S-650 thank and sump weigh 563.22lbs, all the rest(frame, lights, skimmer, cabinet trims) weigh an extra 202.2lbs.
The total is 765.42 almost 800lbs.
Remember the thickness of the glass, the extra glass for the rear chambers and auto top off, the heat sink for the lights and so on.
It adds up.
Hope I helped.
Good night,
Aviad

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good points... sure most when they think of their "tank" don't think to add the weight of the sump, pumps, lights, electrical panel, timers, etc... or it would be similar - thanks for sharing Avaid this AIO total weight.

SaltyDave

Aviad,
What is the weight of the RSM 250 tank & stand?
I am curious about how it compares to the 650.

Just bought a used 250 and need to do some structural reinforcing to my floor joists.

David

SaltyDave

Well thanks Ernesto! You are going to be the RS authority on RSM tank loads.:)

My tank fully setup will weigh just a little more than your new tank dry. Is that strange or what?

David

ErnestoC

Well thanks Ernesto! You are going to be the RS authority on RSM tank loads.:)

My tank fully setup will weigh just a little more than your new tank dry. Is that strange or what?

David

My pleasure David.. I have studied these tanks very much yes jeje safety first and living in an apartment makes you thing twice what you will do or not ;)

Yes I know what you mean! it is crazy! I have both set now and I look one and then the other and the 650 is a monster jeje ;)

David Shaw

Fantastic. I love the fact they delivered and set up for you. All pleasure, no headache!

They also did an amazing job on the rockwork. Keep posting pics!

ErnestoC

OK Guys... today my RSM 250 left home... I have to say it was sad to see it go but maintaining both tanks was going to be too much.

I learned the saltwater aquarium hobby with it... I made lots of mistakes, lots of discoveries but the most important thing is, it made me love this hobby even more.

I have to say, this was a wonderful tank to start... I definitely recommend it to anyone and if someday I need a smaller thank that the one I have now, I would get a RSM 250 again

What makes me really happy is that my tank is in great hands. The couple that got it they love this hobby too, they have a 29 gal. biocube and for them is a great upgrade.. They are so happy that their fish will have more space.. and me too :) I wish them the best!

This the last pic I took of my RSM 250 and I wanted to share it with you guys.....

IMG_2589.jpg