ErnestoC Red Sea Max 250 Piece Of Sea

ErnestoC

Hi, I am new here and to the marine aquariums hobby. I purchased a used Red Sea Max 250 on July 28th and I am in love with it! I am already saving waiting for the bigger models coming up!! jeje

Well, I want to show you what I have done in this month.. remember the aquarium was used and in use when I purchased it so bacteria was already working in this system... hope you will like it! :)

ErnestoC

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314837896.422832.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314837930.652905.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314837976.233174.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314838123.290871.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314838167.021479.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary amd the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Lovely tank, fish & corals !!! Thanks for starting a tank thread & sharing your tank with us !

ErnestoC

Lovely tank, fish & corals !!! Thanks for starting a tank thread & sharing your tank with us !

Thanks Glenn! I am glad you liked it. This is the start , now I need to get nice colorful corals :)

Wow great start? How old was the tank when you got it?

Thanks Rob! I was told the tank was 1 1/2 years old. When I purchased it, it was working and I told the owner not to clean it, just to empty it and leave me the bacteria bags. Even the glass had algae when it came to my place. I purchased and the next day was set on my place with water, sand and rock.

ErnestoC

Ernesto, beautiful tank! Is that the ~70 gallon one?

Thanks Adam! I am glad you liked it!

Yes it is the Red Sea Max 250 (65 Gallons) I love this tank! :)

About a Cleaner Staff... I have:

4 Nassarius Snails
2 Turbo Snails
1 Margarita
About 15 hermit crabs
2 red blood shrimp
4 peppermint shrimp
1 Sally Crab (actually 2 but the other one went to the back of the tank)
1 Orange Sea Star
1 Sand Sifting Sea Star

I was thinking of adding more Nassarius, maybe 10-15, 4 Turbo Snails, 3 Margaritas, 10 Hermit Crabs, 1 Emerald Crab and a Cucumber...

What do you think of this?

Thanks in advance!

Anselth

With the additions, sounds like a good CuC, I always like cerith snails, but the hermits may do the same job. Keep an eye on the Sally Lightfoot. I understand they can get quite large and don't necessarily differentiate between fish and food. You may want to read up on them - I've generally stayed away from crabs so may be nistaken.

ErnestoC

Great start, have fun with it!

Thanks Tom, believe me, I am having lots of fun! :)

With the additions, sounds like a good CuC, I always like cerith snails, but the hermits may do the same job. Keep an eye on the Sally Lightfoot. I understand they can get quite large and don't necessarily differentiate between fish and food. You may want to read up on them - I've generally stayed away from crabs so may be nistaken.

Anselth, tghank you so much for your advice! I will read about the Sally Lightfoot. I had 2 Emerald Crabs, I purchased them big believing they could not harm anyone and the first thing I see is one of them grabbing my Yellow Tang and eating his fin! I separated them and gave him a second chance.. Wrong... I had a 2 spot Goby and it is gone now. I decided to take those emerald back to the LFM and they told me the problem was the size... I love Crabs but I will be very careful from now on.

Anselth

Got home and was able to look in my copy of Marine Invertebrates: "It will seem to be a benign aquarium inhabitant for several months and then will undergo a personality shift, probably due to sexual maturity. The male's claws enlarge and their bases swell to accommodate the larger muscle mass. The crab lunges at and often catches fishes. Large ones will tear apart sea anemones and corals to get their gut contents, and they will feast on small hermit crabs."

ErnestoC

Got home and was able to look in my copy of Marine Invertebrates: "It will seem to be a benign aquarium inhabitant for several months and then will undergo a personality shift, probably due to sexual maturity. The male's claws enlarge and their bases swell to accommodate the larger muscle mass. The crab lunges at and often catches fishes. Large ones will tear apart sea anemones and corals to get their gut contents, and they will feast on small hermit crabs."

Hello Adam

Thanks! I also read that aout Sallys... I wil take him out... it is a petty, I love crabs. Maybe a spider crab could be safe? I will read about them. :)

Have a great long weekend.

Anselth

You can always put him in a small species tank. Crabs are cool, just too (potentially) destructive for me, in general.