Epster's RSM 250

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
For tank stability purposes I alternate pump cleanings. Different pumps different weeks.

.............I'm feeling salty.

Epster

In addition to Leigh suggestions...

Read this post & study the pics... gate height is critical for proper skimming

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/66778-rsm-250-stock-skimmer-tips.html

I use an eyeglass screwdriver to clean mine :dance: about twice a year - good tip !

Well I tried the suggestions in the thread linked above and my skimmer went crazy, seems like the water level has made such a difference. :bow:

Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated.

Cheers
Epster

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good to hear Epster. Did you need to clean it in the end or did you just follow the tips?

Epster

No I didn't really have enough time to clean / soak the skimmer pump. Added to the list of jobs for the weekend. The suggestions in the thread were spot on and did the trick for me.

Cheers
Epster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epster

Ok time for an update.

I cleaned out my skimmer pump the other day, soaked in vinegar, came out looking like new. It's made a big difference to the amount of bubbles im getting, if that makes sense. If not maybe it just looks like it does :smirk:

On a sad note, I came home from work last night to find one of my chromis trying to balance himself on his tail fins, one of the of other chromis started to attack it, so i had to remove it.

I am trying to convince Mrs Epster for the keys to the money stash so I can buy some presents for my tank and here is what I am thinking:

Vortech mp10 (or should I save up a bit longer and get the 40?)
RO unit, but I cant figure out what the differences between the 3 and 4 stage units are :smack:

Hopefully going to get some corals next weekend, will post some pics if i do

Cheers
Epster

robboh

RO unit, but I cant figure out what the differences between the 3 and 4 stage units are :smack:
Depends if RO or RO/DI.
The latter will normally be 4 stage and will do a better job overall of removing nasties from the water as it will remove stuff that RO filters don't.

In fact, as I understand it, the RO stage is primarily there to "protect" the DI stage and extend the useful life of the DI resin. You can also get DI only but apparently get exhausted very quickly.

Epster

Hi there,

So I could do with some friendly advice which I know I will get from you amazing people :)

It's been about 2 years since I last posted due to all sorts of problems in my life, which I won't go into here. Anyway, Im glad to say that all of that is over now and I am back to 100% and feeling my normal self which is totally amazing!

Sad to say that during this time I sadly let my attention to my beloved tank slip. I kept up with my water changes, basic cleaning and feeding regimes but didnt do anything else and now have a massive outbreak of aiptasia which have really taken over my live rock. I only lost one fish during this time which is a bonus as I thought more would go.

So I have been thinking of ways round this problem as I now have my mojo back and want to start recovering / developing my tank again.

I have a decent amount of live sand in the tank at the moment and I was wondering if I added some biological media (ceramic rings / bio balls or such like) into the media chamber of my RSM250 and left that for 4-6 weeks for the bacteria to colonise the media, would I be safe in then removing the infested rock and readding other rock? I was thinking about something like Marco rock which my LFS stocks. I only have 5 fish and a cleaner shrimp in there at the moment so I dont think that the biological load would be that great.

I know that I could fight the little monsters but I would then be worried not getting them all and about future outbreaks.

I have also ordered some replacment light bulbs as it has been about 12-18 months since I last changed them.

Hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

Peace
Epster

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Glad to hear you have gotten your mojo back !

I think I would post this question in this forum... and give all RS members a chance to respond.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/

my 1st thoughts... are to rid the tank of 100% of all the aiptasia, but adding all new dry rock (love marcos) you may need to replace all the sand too, and anything else media or whatever... that may still house any spores they could reproduce from... then your tank would cycle again, unless you go for some chemical "new tank" product - see what others think... as aiptasia battles are common it our hobby

best of luck & welcome back !

be sure to post us some pics & you will get more feedback ;)

Epster

Glad to hear you have gotten your mojo back !

I think I would post this question in this forum... and give all RS members a chance to respond.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/

my 1st thoughts... are to rid the tank of 100% of all the aiptasia, but adding all new dry rock (love marcos) you may need to replace all the sand too, and anything else media or whatever... that may still house any spores they could reproduce from... then you tank would cycle again, unless you go for some chemical "new tank" product - see what others think... as aiptasia battles are common it our hobby

best of luck & welcome back !

be sure to post us some pics & you will get more feedback ;)

Cheers Glenn,

I will post over there and let you know how it turns out.

Oxylebius

Agree on focusing your resources on ridding the aiptasia. This can take months to do if you are targeting them one by one. But, if you are set on ridding the rocks to take care of the problem then I suggest watching for mini cycles in the tank. You don't want to loose any fish over replacing all the rocks in the tank.

If you really have that many aips, I think I would consider getting a aip eating nudibranch, that way you wouldn't have to deal w/switching out the rocks. These nudis get into all kinds of crevases.

Epster

Hey Guys,

So I have been fighting these dammed aiptasia daily for over a month now using Aiptasia-X from Red Sea. The problem is that they come back after a few days which makes me real mad! :mad:

The thought of giving up on this has crossed mind on several occasions but I have fought off those thoughts and have therefore decided that I am going to take some pretty drastic measures and strip the whole thing down, putting my fish into a temporary tank, where they will stay for the duration of the new setup cycle.

I will be fully cleaning out the tank, and equipment to make sure that there are no spores hanging around in there. I do not want to have to do this again.

I am going to be ordering
  • 40Lbs of Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade Sand
  • 40Lbs of South Seas Base Rock
  • 3 x ATI Blue Plus T5 39W
  • 1 x ATI Actinic T5 39W
  • 2 x ATI AquaBlue Special T5 39W
We are having some building work done at the house soon so I will hopefully be able to install a RO unit which should save me some money as I buy my water ready made from the LFS.

Questions:
  • Have I got enough rock and sand? If not I will order some more.
  • I am thinking of using the Red Sea Reef Mature program, has anyone used this before? Is it any good.
If any of you guys have anything else which I may have overlooked please let me know,

Thanks
Epster

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Best of Luck ! You might be a little short on the rock, most say 1 to 1 and 1/2 pounds per gallon, I like a more open look & go more for the one pound per gallon, depending on how porous your rock is...

Epster

Time for an update...

The tank has been totally stripped down and thoroughly cleaned, All the fish have been moved to 2 spare tanks and are doing well and are happily looking forward to moving back in. All the pumps have been soaked in white vinegar for 2 days which really, really cleaned them, they look almost brand new now. Only problem was the skimmer pump which the black casing on the power cable had come out and the 2 wires inside were visible. New one ordered just in case, didn't fancy putting that back in the tank.

510395B9-25C8-44B2-8954-EC344ACF6AB1.jpg

40Lbs of Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade Sand added. Hey you can almost see me in the reflection (I'm on my knees, I'm not really that small!!!)

DECCA1BF-AC5B-4CF6-AEC2-437C3639A694.jpg

About 70Lbs of South Seas Base Rock added and scaped. What do you think? I'm 50/50 on it, maybe a bit too tall?

5ABB8A6F-23DF-4F56-B015-94D63D25ADCF.jpg

Even though I thoroughly washed the sand and the rocks, it still looks like I didn't!!

A055D3FC-37DA-4CC8-85EC-4436F6719F14.jpg

Snowstorm!

6CB7FACD-1F14-467F-97A3-3F275CDFBBF4.jpg

Almost cleared now, I really like the blue tones, although the camera pics show them as a lot more blue in real life.

I am using the Red Sea MCP Reef Mature Pro Kit for the cycle process, and the first lot was added today. Should I add a deli shrimp also to help it along or will that cause problems?

Thanks for stopping by...
Epster