Emergency please help quick

saltee

my wife woke up this morning to a "burning" and went to check our tank, all the fish are at the bottom dying and breathing hard, im at work and cant help her yet. I had her unplug everything, make a 20 gal of sea water and try and get all the fish she can out. Will they be ok? i have to find out what would be burnng and take it out and drain the tank?...whats my first step im l;eaving work of course help help. i REALLY dont want to loose my fishes

saltee

my real concern are the fish i want to keep them alive as of now they are in a 20gal bucket sea water airstone...what else to help them out. ill deal with whatevers burning when i get home....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Aerating the water and keeping it up to temp is important. Remember our fish are transported for days on end in very small bags & boxes so for a few hours they are ok in smaller containers. Keep them covered so nothing drops into the water and to keep them more "Calm" from the darkness.

Waya

You are doing all you can do till you get home. Do you have a QT tank you can put them in for now?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
When you get home unplug EVERYTHING and plug back in only one item at a time to eliminate each component. From there the group will try to help you get things under control.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ur doing fine. Heated airated n covered 20 gal the fish will b cool for quite some time.

When u get home strap on some rubber gloves n locate ur issue. With more details we can b more helpful. N for God's sake tell ur wife to keep her hands outta the tank. I had a broken heater knock me off a chair when I reached in.

Keep us informed n good luck.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

saltee

ok im home there are survivors, the problem was a powerhead that melted plastic , right now im draining the tank i have a crap load of live rock should i fresh water dip?? and what about my snail, i replaced the hoses that were black and also my socks...whats next

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't think I'd dip them. Just get clean water in there ASAP, run carbon and watch everything closely. Hopefully no more problems.

saltee

ok i did about 75% water change and put carbon in my socks as for the live stock
2 missing emerald crabs
2 missing cleaner shrimp
1 missing goby
1 very alive naso tang, blue hippo, little clowny, coral beauty
2 alive cardinals
1 yellow tang deceased
1 orchid dottyback deceased
2 deceased green chromis
a slew of turbos are roaming the cycling tank as well 1 starfish
and finally the hitch hicker crab in my sump is fine but seems pissed as usual

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!!
we shall see what tonight brings.......

aquagirl

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry to hear this! Please let me know how everything turns out! Good luck!

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Wow.. sorry to hear.. that's horrible... what caused the problem.. did a power head just burn up?

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

DesertOrchid

Sorry about your fishy friends. Always tough to lose them and struggle through the crisis. Keep on going one step/wc at a time. We're all rooting for you!

saltee

ya the power head was like...melted, the water was poisoned it smelled like burnt *blank*. im pretty disapointed that i didnt smell it faster. it was bad. thanks again to everyone that helped me out.

tnwillia

Sorry to here your problem but you got great help. What make & model powerhead melted so others can check/watch theirs. Was it new? Good luck!