Emerald Crabs and Corals

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Has anyone had problems with Emeral crabs nipping at or destroying any corals? I've read they have the potential to tear up some things and my star polyp does not look as happy as he once did. Just wandering if it could be the emerald crab causing the problem.

Thanks

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Never had any problems with mine, other than tearing up some decorative macroalgae that I wanted to keep. But, every animal can be different. They can often tear up things picking at algae that may be on a coral, but they're just doing their job. Star polyps can act weird at times, and they'll close up if something walks over them. Check your Ca, Alk & Mg to see if they're OK. Mine once closed up when I was dosing high Mg levels to try to get rid of Bryopsis.

tnwillia

I put 2 in my tank in my first CUC they've never hurt anything in 11 months. I added 2 Brown Mithrax later with the same results. Have fun!

tnwillia

goma.... All mine eat from in and around the corals. They get down into the base and get the trash out but they've never actually taken the coral it'self.

My emerald pretty much leaves everything alone . but this one Trumpet frag that he throws down on the sand no matter where i put it :nono: . Seems not to nip it , just toss.

russbooger

watched one at the LFS a couple of days ago munching zoas and mushrooms. Maybe depends on the individual crab, but it put me off them for life!

JDurk360

Yeah, i bought 2 of those crabs and they ate my whole zoa colony and leather $40.00 down the drain because of 4 dollar crabs

Dash10

I lost 3 large colonies of pulsing Xenia coral to a group of emerald crabs I was keeping in my tank... I'm not sure if just one or two were the problem, but it's safe to say I will never again keep them in my tank.

Great cleaners without a doubt, but just be willing to lose a coral or two if you're adding them to your tank.

Dweezil

I love my Emerald crab. He hangs out at night in the Frogspawn and I've seen him picking at the base of corals but never has he tried to eat the coral. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Emeralds eating Xenia - wish I could get mine to do that
028.gif