Emerald Crab Spray

imgritz

I was looking at my tank and I saw my emerald crab look up and release this spray for about 2 seconds. There was a hermit crab above him. Was the emerald crab doing some type of offensive/defensive manuever. I read on some articles that my emerald crab may be releasing larvae into the tank.

Any ideas?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Never heard of that before, interesting !

I googled & got this hit though... "I just saw the craziest thing, My emerald crab started spaying babies all over in my 90 gallon"

Maybe he was spawning :)

Cool !

Bobi1956

post copied from another forum

Emerald Crab Spawning Event 5/7/07
I happened to see one of my emerald crabs releasing a large number of tiny little white "things." I'm thinking they were eggs but I've never seen this before. All of the fish were gathered around and wildly eating them as the crab released them. Were these actually eggs? Is that normal for the crab to release them that way?
<Yes sounds like a spawning event, a good natural food source for your aquariums denizens, enjoy.>
TCP
<Adam J.>

XeniaLee

awwww! I hope mine spawn. My "advisor" who picked them out for me at the store, said he selected a male and a female and maybe they'll reproduce.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
It turns out that the crab was releasing eggs. One survived an now I have a baby crab.

Very Cool !!! Congrats & thanks for the post !!! We LOVE pics !!!
050.gif

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html

Ashr

I've asked most people around here and they are hard to find. I might need to import one from Vancouver, (west Coast of BC)

Edit:

Found one, need to fly him here though..

Emerald Crab