Elegance Coral theory

mps9506

There must be something wrong with my PC or something because every time I pull it up it is in some other language.

The website is in Portuguese I believe. You have to register to the website to see the thread however, which is in English. It took me two tries to register since I couldn't read most of the instructions :) I hit a wrong button somewhere and reset myself :D

boozeman

speaking of the potuguese forum.....Rob, I believe Jucca has had an elegance in his tank for some time

Frankie

RS STAFF
By the time they reach the wholesalers holding tanks they are allready stressed and burnt. We all get hitch hickers in our tanks. Can you imagine what must be swimming around in these wholesalers tanks? There could be many organisums in these tanks that would take advantage of these corals in their weakened state.

I don't think this is the case. I have seen what wholesalers do to keep there systems healthy and i doubt the coral is suffering from pollution in there tanks. I think you could be onto something here though. With all the filtration and UV sterilizers these dealers have on there systems the water could be too sterile. This is the point i was making in my last post here. I am not sold on synthetic seawater being the best water for a reef system. I have used natural seawater in the past on my older system with much better results in coral growth and health. I have been using synthetic salts and ro/di water with my new system and find that i have bigger losses then i did in the pass. There is still a lot in the oceans that we cannot reproduce in a closed microcosm. I do believe were getting better though!
Aqua cultured corals and clams do much better because we have adapted them to our needs and not there natural ones. We would be doing a better job on finding a way to grow these corals then taking them from the ocean.

mps9506

I don't think this is the case. I have seen what wholesalers do to keep there systems healthy and i doubt the coral is suffering from pollution in there tanks. I think you could be onto something here though. With all the filtration and UV sterilizers these dealers have on there systems the water could be too sterile.

You also need to take into account the fact these guys are held in collection tubs for one or two days by collectors and shippers overseas before the wholeseller ever sees them.
I think elegance is worried that the light they receive while sitting in the collection tubs on the beach or enroute to the shippers or while sitting in the tanks at the wholeseller might be too much.
Again without knowing exactly where these guys are being collected at right now, and how much light they are being exposed too, it is difficult to say this is or is not a problem.

charlesr1958

"I would not be surprised if what elegance_coral has treated in elegance corals and what Eric is investigating could very well be different things."

The very point I was trying to make all along. Its impossible for a hobbyist through simple observations to be able to determine if a pathogen is at work, or just careless handling / inappropriate care is the culprit. For what has been discussed as put forth in the original post points to simple basic coral care for any species that is not acclimated properly to more intensive light. To claim a theory about skin thickness and then a cure for the elegance coral "disease" all in the same breath was a bit much for me and I tried to make my point as nicely as I know how without sounding like a girly boy.
In Short:

The care and acclimation of larger polyped corals was figured out (again)

The cause and cure of the elegant coral "disease" was NOT figured out.

Now the quandry, do you buy an elegant coral and spur the collection of even more of them? When bought, will it not do well because of the disease or because it was not cared for properly? Are you going to risk it?

Chuck

I don't think this is the case. I have seen what wholesalers do to keep there systems healthy and i doubt the coral is suffering from pollution in there tanks. I think you could be onto something here though. With all the filtration and UV sterilizers these dealers have on there systems the water could be too sterile. This is the point i was making in my last post here. I am not sold on synthetic seawater being the best water for a reef system. I have used natural seawater in the past on my older system with much better results in coral growth and health. I have been using synthetic salts and ro/di water with my new system and find that i have bigger losses then i did in the pass. There is still a lot in the oceans that we cannot reproduce in a closed microcosm. I do believe were getting better though!
Aqua cultured corals and clams do much better because we have adapted them to our needs and not there natural ones. We would be doing a better job on finding a way to grow these corals then taking them from the ocean.
I think you may have misunderstood what i was trying to say. I have this same problem on a different sight. It turns out that I am not the best writer in the world.
I was not trying to say that these tanks were polluted. I would assume that some water must be removed with each animal being removed from these tanks. This water would need to be replaced, so there would be an almost constant water changing cycle taking place. This combined with even poor filtration should provide a very clean system as far as water quality is concerned. I believe that with the large numbers of animals entering and leaving these systems that they must be dropping off a great number and variety of hitch hickers, even with heavy UV sterilization. It is some of these hitch hickers that could pose a problem for a weadened animal.
I don't believe the myth that surrounds Elegance corals and Goniopora, that these corals would do better in water that is poor in quality. Someone earlier in this thread, while disagreeing with the bulk of what I have said, stated that he tested the waters in the wild around these corals and could find no measurable nitrates. In my experience these corals react negatively as the water quality diminishes.
You could not be more correct about aquaculturing these and many other animals that we keep. I believe that there needs to be much more research into these corals reproductave methods. If we want our grandchildern to enjoy these animals as we do, we must find a way to reproduce these animals on a much larger scale.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I don't believe the myth that surrounds Elegance corals and Goniopora, that these corals would do better in water that is poor in quality. Someone earlier in this thread, while disagreeing with the bulk of what I have said, stated that he tested the waters in the wild around these corals and could find no measurable nitrates. In my experience these corals react negatively as the water quality diminishes.

Because of the enormous amount of biodiversity, the constant recycling of nutrients, the full water changes that occur throughout the day in a wild reef this isn't surprising, that you don't get measurable nitrate levels, that doesn't mean there isn't alof of food for these corals particularly live foods like zooplankton. I think that a "dirty tank" isn't the proper term to use but these corals tend to do better in tanks that have more dissolved nutrients and the use of powerful skimmers doesn't bode well for them nor other LPS corals in general IME.

You also need to take into account the fact these guys are held in collection tubs for one or two days by collectors and shippers overseas before the wholeseller ever sees them. I think elegance is worried that the light they receive while sitting in the collection tubs on the beach or enroute to the shippers or while sitting in the tanks at the wholeseller might be too much.

I could see this being an issue for longer periods of time but for a couple of days I don't think this would be an issue but I haven't been to these locations, maybe Chuck would be in the best position to say.

"I would not be surprised if what elegance_coral has treated in elegance corals and what Eric is investigating could very well be different things."

The very point I was trying to make all along. Its impossible for a hobbyist through simple observations to be able to determine if a pathogen is at work, or just careless handling / inappropriate care is the culprit. For what has been discussed as put forth in the original post points to simple basic coral care for any species that is not acclimated properly to more intensive light. To claim a theory about skin thickness and then a cure for the elegance coral "disease" all in the same breath was a bit much for me and I tried to make my point as nicely as I know how without sounding like a girly boy.
In Short:

The care and acclimation of larger polyped corals was figured out (again)

The cause and cure of the elegant coral "disease" was NOT figured out.

Now the quandry, do you buy an elegant coral and spur the collection of even more of them? When bought, will it not do well because of the disease or because it was not cared for properly? Are you going to risk it?

Chuck

My corals, Eric Borenmen's corals, Julian Sprung's corals, and many other corals around this country all suffer from the same symptoms. Is it not safe to say that they are all suffering from the same ailments?
If this was simple LPS care we would not be having this conversation. Corals would not be dieing in the numbers that they are. The big guns like Borenmen and Sprung would not be getting involved if this could be solved with basic LPS care. Did everyone simply forget how to care for LPS corals? People were watching their corals swell up and withdraw their tentacles and had no idea why. Everyone had their own oppinion on the subject but no one, as far as I know, tested the corals to find out why they were doing this. Tests were ran on sick, dead, or dieing coral tissue. They found organisums living in these tissues. If a fish dies in your tank and its flesh is examined they would most likely find a large number of organisums feeding on it. Does this mean that these organisums are responsable for the fishes death? No. They have found several different organisums living in these coral tissues. This does not prove that they killed the coral, or that they were responsable for making the coral ill in the first place.

The skin thickness. Why must you keep beating this dog? Its dead already. I have explained this. The point that I was trying to make was that these corals can be damaged far easier than other LPS's. I should not have to keep going over the same thing again and again. I said that I could not prove this. I never said this was fact. Something is allowing these corals to become damaged very easily. Your guess is as good as mine as to why this is. My question is why would you keep bringing this up after it has been explained more that once?
I have never said that I have the cure for the Elegance coral problem. Not in any breath. Where you got that from is beyond me. I have no magic pill that fixes all the Elegance corals, and never claimed to. After lots of work I have learned how to bring them through this illness. That is far from a cure.

I didn't set out to prove if this was a pathogen or anything else. If you read what I wrote, I set out to find out how to care for these animals. My goal was never to prove what was causing it. These corals were dieing in great numbers. I wanted to find a way to keep them alive. I can do this now. Why people have a problem with this, I will never understand. While Elegance corals are dropping off like flies I have a tank full of them.I must be doing something right. My goal in coming here was to share what I have learned with those that may be interested.

Last edited:
I could see this being an issue for longer periods of time but for a couple of days I don't think this would be an issue but I haven't been to these locations, maybe Chuck would be in the best position to say.

The last coral I lost was fried under a 175W 10K MH. It was only there for a matter of seconds. After this it went down hill and was dead in 2 days. This was a beautiful coral before I did this to it.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The last coral I lost was fried under a 175W 10K MH. It was only there for a matter of seconds. After this it went down hill and was dead in 2 days. This was a beautiful coral before I did this to it.

Really ?
I have had issues with photo acclimation/bleaching before and it never happened in such a short period of time. Corals can retract their tissue almost completely if sudden events happen it's usually prolonged exposure that causes harm. The next time my friendly LFS gets a new Elegance will just have to test this.

charlesr1958

"Does this mean that these organisums are responsable for the fishes death?" Most likely yes, and such an observation/exam would make a lot more sense for a cause than someone taking wild guesses or figuring out that a coral should be light acclimated.

"The point that I was trying to make was that these corals can be damaged far easier than other LPS's. "
Damaged in what way? and why easier? How did you come to that conclussion? You state that you can not prove this and that it is not fact, yet you make conclussions. I or anyone can throw wild guesses around all day. How is that helpfull?

When I read through your postings, it gives the impression that you are claiming to have a cure for what has been ailing these corals by taking good care of them. While I am sure such care is helpfull to the corals, you seem to be mixing possible causes up and are making assumptions based on just pure speculation. "I wanted to find a way to keep them alive. I can do this now." Thats great, but again, proves nothing as to the causes of their initial problem, Is it the disease or is it just poor care? And I am speaking of your specimens, which I would suspect is not the disease since yours bleached, which is not indicative of the disease and is one of poor handling/care instead.

"You are not trying to help anyone with this problem." I can not be of help if I do not know the cause or any possible cure. I am simply pointing out the fact that you are not helping either, other than repeating known care.

"All you are doing is trying to be distuptive and cause more problems." Why? because I am not hailing wild guesses or patting you on the back for figuring out that an LPS or any coral for that matter stands a better chance of doing well if cared for properly?

Why are you so defensive or offended if I or anyone questions something or points out what should be obvious? As I've said before, the only claim you can make is that you have figured out how to care for an LPS, thats nice, but thats about all it is. You have no way to know what the cause is. period. If someone does have a coral that is "infected", such basic care is about all you can do, and pointing that out is....nice.

I have collected, in the same manner that the collectors do, specimens (elegance) from shallow water (5-10feet) and from deep water (30-40feet) and have never had any issue with either of the two...ever. Even when allowed to sit in an open bucket in the sun. It is much more likely that the corals are being infected during initial handling/shipping.

Why am I in this thread? Simply because I found your initial claims to be possibly misleading and amount to nothing more than ancedotal (and most likely incorrect) observations. Once again, you figured out that the corals should be placed lower in a tank to avoid light acclimation issues or issues of too much light, thats great and I do not have a problem with that as you seem to think. But you also lead others into thinking that you have found the answer to what has been ailing these corals which might encourage them to purchase the corals, which is what I have a problem with. The title of Elegance coral project" should have read "how to care for an LPS", then I would not have even wasted my time to open the thread.

mps9506

My corals, Eric Borenmen's corals, Julian Sprung's corals, and many other corals around this country all suffer from the same symptoms. Is it not safe to say that they are all suffering from the same ailments?
I don't think it is safe to say they have the same problems. I'm not quite convinced they are always showing the same symptoms. But not having seen all the corals in person over a length of time who am i too say? :D
But I really don't think it is safe to say they have the same problem.
That would be much like saying all acros that suffer RTN get RTN because of the same reason. This is in the end a stress related condition, and the underlying cause might for some elegance corals be light, other improper handaling other might be a combination, and other it may be a disease.
Another example would be, just because someone has a fever does not mean they have the flu.

Really ?
I have had issues with photo acclimation/bleaching before and it never happened in such a short period of time. Corals can retract their tissue almost completely if sudden events happen it's usually prolonged exposure that causes harm. The next time my friendly LFS gets a new Elegance will just have to test this.

I really hope that you do. These corals are not behaving in the same fashion as other LPS corals. It would be nice for someone else on this sight to see some of the things I have seen. It is one thing for someone to just disagree with what I am saying, having never tested any of this for themselves. It is something much different for someone to be able to say, this is what I did with my coral and this is how it reacted.
I believe it was Boozman AKA Linkman. That posted a link here to a thread I started like this one on a different sight. I have been able to go into more detail as to what I have seen in that thread. Here I have been busy putting out the same fires that just keep flaming back up. I have not had time to get into what can be expected from these corals, yet. I still have hope though. If you want to know if what you see with your coral differs from what I have seen It would be helpful if you could find time to read through that thread.
Thanks, Darrell

"Does this mean that these organisums are responsable for the fishes death?" Most likely yes, and such an observation/exam would make a lot more sense for a cause than someone taking wild guesses or figuring out that a coral should be light acclimated.

There are many organisums that take part in the decomposition of dead and dieing animal tissue. On land its insects and their larvae, bacteria, fungus, and many other organisums. In our oceans there are just as many if not more. To find unknown organisums in these tissues and then say that these organisum are responsable for the death of the animal is a very large leap.
If a coral shows symptoms and one does not know what these symptoms mean, how can they fix the problem the coral is having? To properly acclimate a coral to lighting you would need to know what the different signs are that a coral will display, what those signs mean, and what we can do in response to those signs. A great number of these corals are dieing simply because people don't know what the different signs mean. These corals are not reacting in the same way most other LPS's do. This does not amount to simple LPS care as we know it.

"The point that I was trying to make was that these corals can be damaged far easier than other LPS's. "
Damaged in what way?

Again, this has been explained. The first coral that I lost in this study was due to a shrimp walking across the corals polup and puncturing the corals tissue. I have had clown fish peck holes in them, and Royal Gramas with ich damage them when they were used as a scratching post.
and why easier?

Again, been discussed. I don't know why. I don't need to know why. If my goal is to keep them alive all I need to know is that this can take place and avoid those things that can cause them harm. I took a guess at this before. You didn't like my guess, so feel free to come up with your own.How did you come to that conclussion?
Answered above.
You state that you can not prove this and that it is not fact, yet you make conclussions. I or anyone can throw wild guesses around all day. How is that helpfull?

Don't confuse issues. I can not prove the skin thickness part of this. A newly interduced Elegance will show the symptoms above. Any one that wishes to can test this for themselves. After they have acclamated to tank life they become much tougher. I don't know why this is and don't need to know why at this point.
When I read through your postings, it gives the impression that you are claiming to have a cure for what has been ailing these corals by taking good care of them. While I am sure such care is helpfull to the corals, you seem to be mixing possible causes up and are making assumptions based on just pure speculation. "I wanted to find a way to keep them alive. I can do this now." Thats great, but again, proves nothing as to the causes of their initial problem, Is it the disease or is it just poor care? And I am speaking of your specimens, which I would suspect is not the disease since yours bleached, which is not indicative of the disease and is one of poor handling/care instead.

I only have 3 that have bleached, and one of those were bleached when I got it. One of the others bleached because I had it in very, very little light. The other was partially bleached when I got it and continued to bleach, I believe, because the light was slightly to intence for it.
"You are not trying to help anyone with this problem." I can not be of help if I do not know the cause or any possible cure. I am simply pointing out the fact that you are not helping either, other than repeating known care.

Again, not known care. If it were they would not be dieing in the numbers that they are. These corals need to be cared for in a different manner than other LPS corals. If I am keeping my corals alive with simple LPS care then everyone else should be keeping these corals alive also. They're not. This is because what I am doing is different then what they are doing.

"EDITED." Why? because I am not hailing wild guesses or patting you on the back for figuring out that an LPS or any coral for that matter stands a better chance of doing well if cared for properly?
No one has known how to care for these corals. This is why they have been dieing. Am I not allowed to take a guess at something if I persent it as such? If you don't agree with a guess I make that is fine, but to use it in an attempt to discredit all the other work I have done is not.

Why are you so defensive or offended if I or anyone questions something or points out what should be obvious? As I've said before, the only claim you can make is that you have figured out how to care for an LPS, thats nice, but thats about all it is. You have no way to know what the cause is. period. If someone does have a coral that is "infected", such basic care is about all you can do, and pointing that out is....nice.

I don't need to prove the cause if i can pull them through the symptoms. Someone else with more experience in that area can prove the cause. Based on my observations I should be able to present a theory as to the cause. However, this is irrelevant as far as what I am trying to do. If I can aid people in keeping these corals alive then I have accomplished my goal. To tell people to use simple LPS care will not accomplish this goal.

I have collected, in the same manner that the collectors do, specimens (elegance) from shallow water (5-10feet) and from deep water (30-40feet) and have never had any issue with either of the two...ever. Even when allowed to sit in an open bucket in the sun. It is much more likely that the corals are being infected during initial handling/shipping.

I talked with a lady that was on a boat during a collection expadition where they were bring up Elegance corals from deeper water. By the time these corals made it to the boat they were showing the over inflated oral disk and shrunken tentacles. She concluded that this was due to the difference in pressure the coral had just gone through, witch is a logical assumption. However, I know this to be a symptom of light exposure. This seemed to be a very nice lady with no agenda and nothing to prove. .

Why am I in this thread? Simply because I found your initial claims to be possibly misleading and amount to nothing more than ancedotal (and most likely incorrect) observations. Once again, you figured out that the corals should be placed lower in a tank to avoid light acclimation issues or issues of too much light, thats great and I do not have a problem with that as you seem to think. But you also lead others into thinking that you have found the answer to what has been ailing these corals which might encourage them to purchase the corals, which is what I have a problem with. The title of Elegance coral project" should have read "how to care for an LPS", then I would not have even wasted my time to open the thread.

The title of what I wrote was "Elegance coral theory" not "Elegance coral project". The project was Eric Borenmens. In the begining of that paper I explained why I was doing this. It was to find out how to care for them, which no one knew. The goal was never to prove anything to anyone. I agree with the people that talked me into writing that paper in the first place. They said that if I knew anything that can help people keep these corals alive I should tell them. This is what I am trying to do.

Last edited:

charlesr1958

Okay, I stand somewhat corrected (the title), but will give you due credit for stating that your observations are a theory, but I guess I took your posts as making claims as fact, and if not facts, then at least confusing statements, I say confusing, because I took your postings as meaning that you have found a way to bring corals back from a disease, which is actualy a theory since there are organisms within the effected corals tissue that are not known to be a benign occurance and is the only real plausable reason we have for now.
Again, and hopefully for the last time, I think its great that you have figured out how to care for an LPS, but there ARE two very distinct problems that elegance corals can face, A yet to be discovered pathogen and just plain old poor husbandry skills/knowledge. The upside to "your" good husbandy of these corals is that if by chance, one of the corals actualy has the suspected pathogen, "your" good husbandry can only be a good thing for a coral that is not feeling too well. Will it cure the coral? No, but it sure is not going to hurt it.
I would also take issue with your lady friends conclussion about the corals appearing the way they do when collected because of pressure differences, since corals are fluid filled, and fluid not be able to compress or be subjected to pressure at depth, that could not be the issue or cause, if the corals had an air chamber within them, such as most fish do (swim bladders), then sudden pressure differences would be an issue. I am positive the reaction that was noted during collection is just normal responses to being picked up, handled and dropped into differening conditions. In other words, stressed out. Which itself could play a role if a (or any animal) stressed out coral is subjected to a holding/shipping tank that is "infected". BUT...that is just guessing on my part of course, yet is what makes sense to me given what is known, and what little is known.

This is an example of what I mean by misleading -

"if I knew anything that can help people keep these corals alive I should tell them"

I could read this in two ways... You have figured out how to beat (cure?) the problem as discussed within the elegance coral project, which means I can now run out to the store and buy one... or... You have figured out how to provide the right conditions for a specimen to heal that has been abused.

Which leads to a whole other problem, how does one REALLY tell the difference between the two very distinct problems? You can't really.

That is the crux of the problem I have, I have a real issue with anyone promoting the keeping of these corals when they have such obvious issues. The reason I kind of freak out about it is simply because I know the normal population levels of this species and have to swim quite a distance to be able to find a single specimen, with the amounts being collected and being killed, it astounds me to think of how much reef in this world is now elegant coral free. Another factor is that those specimens that are collected are "juveniles", (fairly new recruits). A much older specimen can average the size of a end table or small coffee table. Not something that would be collected for the trade.

Anyways, I think I now "got it" and hopefully you do so as well...lol

Here is a bit of eye candy to smooth the feathers and hope it might be a good reference for you on what a healthy, young elegance coral should look like, while on a real reef that is....lol I'll have to remember to get a photo of a very large specimen that I know of that is in about 35 feet of water. The one shown here was in about six feet of water, if that.

30.jpg

Chuck

Darrell, have you summarized any treatment program, identified a common starting point with a first response action, perhaps that would be a starting point for preservation?Steve

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I wasn't trying to avoid your question, I just got a little side tracked.
Yes, I can summarize a treatment program. I would not be able to do this in a line or two, so it may take me a while to put it into words. As soon as I do I will post it here.
This was a good question and thanks for asking. Darrell.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I wasn't trying to avoid your question, I just got a little side tracked.
Yes, I can summarize a treatment program. I would not be able to do this in a line or two, so it may take me a while to put it into words. As soon as I do I will post it here.
This was a good question and thanks for asking. Darrell.

:lurk: :bump: :lol: Darrell? where you at??

Okay, so I did a google search for "Elegance corals" today and what did I find? This thread. Of all the threads I have started on this subject this is the only one that went poorly, and the one that shows up like this. (I wonder if Link Man had anything to do with it?cnfzd: )

As I stated in my original theory, I posted it prematurely. I did this before my research was complete because of pressure from hobbyists that wanted to know what my thoughts were up to that point. I posted it here in this forum thinking it would be a starting point for an intelligent conversation on the subject that we could all gain something from. It didn't work out that way, so I moved on to more productive ways of devoting my time. Now that many more people have access to this thread I thought it was important to clarify a few things on this subject, so here it is.
It has been said here in this thread and many other places that the symptoms we see in these corals do not show up in the wild. This has been used as evidence that a pathogen must be at work. This evidence equally supports my position on the subject. If the problem is brought on by a change in light and /or temperature as I believe we would not see these symptoms in the wild.
In other reports it has been said that this symptom of an over inflated oral disk and shrunken tentacles is contagious. What brings people to this conclusion? It's simple. If you have a tank with several corals showing these symptoms and you place a seemingly healthy coral in the same tank it will quickly begin to show the same symptoms. Based on this it again has been assumed that a pathogen must be at work and quickly attacked the newly introduced coral. Based on my research this isn't whats taking place. The original corals in the tank are showing signs of stress brought on most likely by the lights being to intense. The newly introduced coral is simply reacting to the same stress as the other corals and has nothing to do with the fact that other corals are in the tank. If the lights were reduced and the temp was below 80 all of the swelling in the corals would subside. With that said, there is a point where this problem can become contagious, but I will get into that shortly.
I have done a great deal more research and studying on this subject since I wrote my original theory. I have a much better understanding of what these corals are going through today than I did then. This was my fear, and my reason for not wanting to post anything when I did. I did not want to post something to later find out that I didn't fully understand what was taking place. This is exactly what happened. I was on the right track, but I just didn't fully understand what I was seeing. Now I have a much better understanding of this problem.
These corals are suffering the same effects of a coral that has bleached. The only difference is that they are not expelling their algae. I don't know why they retain their algae in these situations. This is an area for a much more qualified person to study. When these corals are exposed to light greater than that witch they came from, or excess temps, they begin to swell up and withdraw their tentacles. The same damage to coral tissues that we see in individuals that have bleached is taking place in these corals as they swell up and withdraw their tentacles. The longer, and more intense, the exposure, the more severe the damage to the coral tissue will be. This is where I got a little confused in my original theory. I knew the coral tissue was much more sensitive but didn't know why. I took a stab at this by saying that the tissue could be thinner in the corals that come form deeper water to allow more light to penetrate the coral and reach the algae. Thankfully, I stated that I could not prove this, because it was wrong. The tissue is more sensitive due to the damage caused by the breakdown of the symbiotic relationship between the coral and the algae. This is brought on by bright lights or elevated temps. There has been a great deal more research into corals bleaching after the El nino events that caused wide spread bleaching on coral reefs. Anyone interested in the details of this process can Google "coral bleaching" and you will find a great deal of info on the subject.

After a coral has gone through this overly inflated oral disk and shrunken tentacles its tissues have been damaged. Just as in a coral that has bleached. This tissue is much more susceptible to infections and damage from physical abuse than tissue of a healthy coral. These corals only become contagious after an infection sets in due to this tissue damage. As we have known from the infancy of this hobby, any infection in a closed system can become contagious. This is the only time that the problems with this coral becomes contagious.

This could be considered anecdotal, if it could not be reproduced over and over again in any tank with any of the deep water corals. Because of the fact that any of these deeper water corals will react in the same way under the same conditions time after time the evidence is anything but anecdotal. One only needs to test this for themselves.

I am currently working on a video to show that the over inflated oral disk and shrunken tentacles are a symptom of light exposure. As soon as I complete this video I will post it here and on the other sights like this one. My hope is that this video will change the way people look at this problem and we can find a better way of dealing with it.