Electronic salinity meter -vs- Refractometer?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Oh yeah I see your point there buddy.

It's like years ago I had a HOT-Tub so I bought an "Electronic Tester" ( I think it was for PH or something) because I hated those pesky test strips. Maybe it was Chlorine... regardless the story is the same. I spent a LOT of money on this shiny new "Gadget" that would save me some time and effort. I used it per the directions and it worked GREAT! I mean over the first month I probably saved a total of 3 minutes :lol: with this new gadget. Well one day my wife said, "Why does the hottub STINK so bad?" I was like... Huh? I tested with my "Gadget" and it read GREAT! I fell back on the time consuming (insert crowd laughter here) test strips and the hot tub was WAY off on whatever I was testing. I had to drain the whole thing, wash the pump and plumbing OUT and start all over from scratch! Not the way I had planned THAT Saturday night (insert FRUSTRATION and Rejection comments here). So needless to say I did away with Electronic Testers and went back to Old School testing. Aparently there was some un-seen corrosion where the two probes went into the unit. The manufacturer replaced the unit (it was actually recalled) but I sold it at a yard sale for $5. Just wasn't worth the worry and hassle.

Now apply this to a Reef Tank and you'll see why I answered how I did. Not worth the risk with the Reef is at risk.

:)

good luck buddy!!

Reefwerks

The way I look at it, if I cant trust it its a waste of money. My meter sits in the same bucket as the rest of those useless reef gizmos Ive purchased over the years, right next to the seaclone skimmer, Ca meter and bioballs.:)

Don

JT101

Hey Al!

I see where you're coming from. Maybe "old school" sometimes is simply the best. PS - sorry about your ruined Saturday night (LOL)!

John

JT101

The way I look at it, if I cant trust it its a waste of money. My meter sits in the same bucket as the rest of those useless reef gizmos Ive purchased over the years, right next to the seaclone skimmer, Ca meter and bioballs.:)

Don

I see what you mean there...