Electronic salinity meter -vs- Refractometer?

JT101

Has anyone here ever used both of these and found that one was better than other?

I initially thought that a pinpoint salinity meter was going to cost a small fortune, but when comparing the cost to a refractometer the prices are very comparable.

Does anyone have any experience with both that would make you lean one way or the other? Seems the pinpoint method is a lot easier than the refractometer method…

Thanks
John

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
John my only concern with Pinpoint is that it is battery operated as the betteryies drain so will the accuracy IMO

JT101

John my only concern with Pinpoint is that it is battery operated as the betteryies drain so will the accuracy IMO

Agreed, but you can get around that by using a battery replacement such as a wall transformer rated for the same output as the battery.

Reefwerks

I have one and rate the purchase a 1 out of 10 right along with my pinpoint ca meter. My refracts are by far much more useful.

Don

JT101

I would say that a refractometer is far more versatile as well, especially if you have to go from tank to tank, clean, re calibrate with R/O and ready to test!

Thanks but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "versatile". I only have one tank, so the ability to go from tank to tank would not mean anything to me. Also, what about the calibration of a refractometer is different from a pinpoint meter? My understanding is that you calibrate a pinpoint by swirling it in a solution, adjust a screw and you're all set, then you just dip, swirl and take a reading...what about a refractometer would be easier than that?

JT101

I have one and rate the purchase a 1 out of 10 right along with my pinpoint ca meter. My refracts are by far much more useful.

Don

Sorry, again I'm not sure what you mean here. Don't both instruments do the same thing (i.e., check SG/salinity)??

Thx

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
a drop of R/o water on the lens, and that would depend on individual products, so sometimes no calibration is even necessary on some.... sorry, didnt know you had only one tank, was maybe listing Pros/cons......thats what you asked for....

Reefwerks

Thanks but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "versatile". I only have one tank, so the ability to go from tank to tank would not mean anything to me. Also, what about the calibration of a refractometer is different from a pinpoint meter? My understanding is that you calibrate a pinpoint by swirling it in a solution, adjust a screw and you're all set, then you just dip, swirl and take a reading...what about a refractometer would be easier than that?

The meter has so much drift your forever calibrating it. The refract rarely if ever need calibration.

Don

tippMANn98

Does anyone have any experience with both that would make you lean one way or the other? Seems the pinpoint method is a lot easier than the refractometer method…

Thanks
John

Basically Pros/cons of both....

JT101

The meter has so much drift your forever calibrating it. The refract rarely if ever need calibration.

Don

Wow, I wasn't aware of that! The online manuals don't seem to indicate drift as being an issue. Thanks for the info.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I just taste My water to test salinity! :bluenod:

JUST Kidding!!

JT101 here is how I would make my determination. I'd ask about and see who IS using the electronic salinity tester. I say "Strength AND wisdom in #'s". If it were better, cheaper, easier and more reliable (or any combination of these) that's what the majority would use. I like to "learn" by other's mistakes and TRY to not re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.

lcstorc

Even with only one tank you are going to need to test water change water as well as the tank. I would go with the refractometer. All you need is a drop of water and a light source and you can test whatever you want. I do like Booze's answer of both though. Double checking is never a bad idea.

JT101

I just taste My water to test salinity! :bluenod:

JUST Kidding!!

JT101 here is how I would make my determination. I'd ask about and see who IS using the electronic salinity tester. I say "Strength AND wisdom in #'s". If it were better, cheaper, easier and more reliable (or any combination of these) that's what the majority would use. I like to "learn" by other's mistakes and TRY to not re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.

Hi Al!

Thanks for your input. As you can see from my initial post, I tried to steer clear of personal opinions of those who have only used refrac by stating "Does anyone have any experience with both that would make you lean one way or the other?" This way I am getting input from actual users.

tippMANn98

I just taste My water to test salinity!

I feel i have the ability to taste it and tell if it is either WAAAAY TO HIGH, or WAAAY TO LOW...but not pinpoint its exact reading!!! :)

JT101

Even with only one tank you are going to need to test water change water as well as the tank. I would go with the refractometer. All you need is a drop of water and a light source and you can test whatever you want. I do like Booze's answer of both though. Double checking is never a bad idea.

Hi Lynn,

Thanx ;) But doesn't it also apply that you can take a monitor probe that has already been calibrated and stick it into your tank, your premixed water etc.? I mean, it doesn't "know" what the source is...why should this matter? If I take a probe, stick it in my tank, take a reading, then stick it in there again, take another reading, then stick it in a bucket of premixed seawater, how is this going to cause an incorrect reading?