$$$$$$$$$ Electricity $$$$$$$$$

Setragni

When it comes to pay the electric bill how much does your RSM costs to you monthly?

Remember to specify what model you have and MODS

I have a 130D with MH/T5 Lights. And since I got it all setup my electric bill is almost $100 Higher. Can it all be from the RSM?

:hallo:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have an RSM 250, stock T5 lighting but I do have an Oceanic 1/6 HP chiller. I have only seen a negligible increase in my electric bill, maybe <$20.00 per month.

jpsika08

Tony, my bill went sky high last month, I'm just trying to find out if my tank is the guilty one, Chillers are big elec. consumers :( also, the external pump consume a lot, and each pump on the 250 consumes 55Watts.

magicmann

MY bill also went up this month and I used to run a 6' fresh water tank with four filters and 2 heaters.
But it wasn't as much fun as the RSM250

My bill also skyrocketed in the last few months, but it has been extremly hot here in New England so the AC has been in overdrive so it is hard to judge. but I think on average it cost me about $30 more a month.

tnwillia

Mine is chiller and HQI bulbs right now. Maybe 50.00 most of the year but around 100 or 150.00 for the last couple of months. In SC we've had at or about 100 degree days for a month and a half now everything is running harded. My bill won't start going down till October, maybe. Good luck!

bbe22

Can't really speak for an RSM, but I recently moved from a 800 sq. ft. house to a 1400 sq. ft. house (maybe 1500). Since the move, I've gone from running one 55 gallon to running two 55 gallons, a bio-cube 8 gallon and a 20 gallon. I was running two pumps, and a 108watt cf ho t5 plus a 64 watt t5, and a heater. My electric bill at the last place was typically $160-$180 a month. In the new house, with four tanks running three cf ho t5's at 208 watts each, one 64 watt t5, two 36 watt t5's and two 16 watt cf ho's, plus all pumps, a skimmer, and various circ pumps the bill is up to $300 a month. However, this includes ac for a house almost twice the size. Not to mention two computers that pull 800 watts each. We sat down and analyzed the bills and did some research. My room mate and I came to realize that the huge jump in our power bill was due to air conditioning a much larger house. The tanks added less than $20-$30 to the bill. I know that doesn't really answer the RSM question, but I can tell you this, running the ac in the south in the summer will keep you from having to use heaters in your tanks:)

dizzyg

I live in S.A, I have RSM tank, Hailea 250 chiller, external cannister, lights 10 hours a day, chiller runs a lot due to S.A being a hot country.

I offset my tanks elec usage by fitting a geyser timer to my geyser, so now it runs 6 hours a day instead of 24/7, Iv found that even though the elec has recently gone up by 25% here Iv managed to keep my bill exactly the same @ +- R1000 a month