El Turco's Red Sea Max 250 Diary

ElTurco

Hi friends;

After having the kind notice from the Clup have just decided to go ahead updating my RSM 250 Diary. I am living in Turkey, Izmir. Tank is running since November 2009. Reading from this forum helped me a lot while baby sitting my tank.

Here starts the diary will upload photos but just check youtube video below

Rescaped part 1 ( with more LPS ). Date: 08-05-2010
1- Xenia colonies trying to recover due to tank and light distance change.
2- Nitrate level increased (back up Sea gel and Purigen to arrive by the wk 19)
3- Chemi-pure elite still does good work; no phosfate.
4- 1 x Scissortail Dartfish found at the back sump, still living there
5- 1x Fire goby eaten by pink tube anemone
6- Stock skimmer of RSM 250 performs avarage from the beginning will change with Deltec MC 500.
7- In Izmir weather outside around 30 celsius, Teco TC 10 chiller under monitoring.
8- Weekly dosing manually performed ie: Grotech's ABC vitaming (10ml each), biweekly dosing of Grotechs's KH 1 and 2 (10 ml each)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVbJJZEvwjw[/YOUTUBE]

magicmann

Great tank m8, makes me feel good seeing a RSM 250 looking as good as that, may be one day.

Paul

ElTurco

Hi Paul;

Thanks for the comment. Have been tracking your new set up from the forum let me give you some tips while you are just at the begining. I learned much from my mistakes :)

- Remove stock ceramics; keep stock carbon out till it is needed.
- Scaping is very important; there is a great risk if you want to re-scape it. I strongly recommend horseshoe shape starting from back of the tank with plate rocks enabling placing of new coral additions as per light requirements.
- Wait for coralline alg grow before starting LPS corals.
- Some considers xenia as pest but I do recommend a small colony as they do absorb nitrate and in case any deviations in tank parameters they are the first affected which alert you.
- My opinion is UV is a must I use it one day each week.
- We must consider RSM 250 as a big Nano tank for that reason chemistry changes all of a sudden. Supportive filter media is required.
- Do not add anemones they do move quickly when water parameters changes.

Good guide for coral care is below, hope it helps :)

Extreme Corals

brgds

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome to the RSM Club ElTurco! Nice video and thank you for starting a tank thread for us - beautiful tank!

I have read that the tube anemones can catch and eat small fish - thanks for confirming that can happen. Sorry about the fire goby :(

ElTurco

Hi Terry;

My name is Baris and nice to meet you all. Although have read too many articles related to tube anemones have decided to go ahead taking the risk.
There are two opinions regarding to their toxins and agression. Some says it's toxins not so that strong as aiptasia but some says the opposite.

Generally speaking they are cool but should be kept in a larger tank rather than RSM 250. At night they are too active and their tentacles expend a lot.

When I have seen my fire goby in the morning it was too late it could hardly swim but still alive cought by the tentacles of tube anemone. It was paralised and 10 minites later it was gone.

I do try the feed it by shrimp 2 days a week hoping he will not be a hunter because of hunger, will keep it for a time with close monitoring.

See you soon.

brgds

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Baris,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and RSM club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

How do you like your Deltec MC 500 Skimmer?

From every post I read from Deltec owners, it's the Very Best Skimmer one can get for a RSM tank. I am thinking about getting one for my RSM 250, when I get it.

burakt

Barış hi,
Hope u remember me, this is Burak from Kocaeli.
It is a great looking tank. And about the Deltec skimmer; go for it. I have purchased one and You will be really satisfied after the stock skimmer. PM me if you want to learn where I got it.
Sorry for the fire goby, watch out for that anomone. I had a little one and did not care much; so lost it these days; i am afraid it will come out someday and gonna take revenge hahahaha...
Görüşmek üzere...

magicmann

Barris

Thanks for your advice.
I am following some of it but may be a bit late for some-
I did not go with the ceramics but do have one bag of carbon.
I do now have a couple of LPS, losts of coralline alg grow on the LR already .
I have a time frag of xenia no doubt will be clipping it shortly.
- My opinion is UV is a must I use it one day each week.- do you meen the moon lights?
I would love to have an anemones but I know way too early.
I would agree with scaping but I don't have a horse shoe, I was worried about having too many rocks touching the back and therefore becoming dead spots. But I think I may have to recape shorty and will look at the horse shoe.

Thanks

Again

Paul

ElTurco

Barris

Thanks for your advice.
I am following some of it but may be a bit late for some-
I did not go with the ceramics but do have one bag of carbon.
I do now have a couple of LPS, losts of coralline alg grow on the LR already .
I have a time frag of xenia no doubt will be clipping it shortly.
- My opinion is UV is a must I use it one day each week.- do you meen the moon lights?
I would love to have an anemones but I know way too early.
I would agree with scaping but I don't have a horse shoe, I was worried about having too many rocks touching the back and therefore becoming dead spots. But I think I may have to recape shorty and will look at the horse shoe.

Thanks

Again

Paul

Hi Paul;

Considering your comments seems like with in a short time we will see a great tank.

For horseshoe shape scaping and rocks touching the back I had the same worries. I did consider the circulation flow of two outlets and make caves acclly enabling water flow to the back and of course utilised Vortech's MP20. Till now it worked well :)

Sorry for shorty :) for UV; I meant UV Sterilizer. Parasites, viruses, algae and bacteria (good and bad) are the type of things that are "killed" after passing through the ultraviolet sterilizing unit. Some says it should be used only parasite (like ich) is discovered but I do use it for 24 hrs a week as a precaution. I am lucky that I have built in UV with my Teco Chiller but it is also available as a separete unit that you can connect to your chiller or any circulation pump.

Looking forward to your updates of your RSM.:fingerx: :fingerx: :fingerx:

brgds

ElTurco

Barış hi,
Hope u remember me, this is Burak from Kocaeli.
It is a great looking tank. And about the Deltec skimmer; go for it. I have purchased one and You will be really satisfied after the stock skimmer. PM me if you want to learn where I got it.
Sorry for the fire goby, watch out for that anomone. I had a little one and did not care much; so lost it these days; i am afraid it will come out someday and gonna take revenge hahahaha...
Görüşmek üzere...

Wow... Hi Burak;
world is small when you know where to meet. Of course I remember you and sorry for not communicating so long. I was abroad for business trainings as trainer. I just finished reading your tank thread here and saw how well you have done. You have excellent corals. Hope your family is fine.

My wife and daughter are well :) My daughter yet 3,5 years old and she knows the fish names in the tank already. In stead of having cartoons on TV we watch RSM drinking milk and go to bed. And one good news; we are expecting a baby boy by mid august, so excited from now...

Hope to see you soon..

brgds