Eddd's White RSM 250

Eddd

Hi guys,

Started my tank 5 days ago or so and here's a bit of information and a few pictures! Copied of another forum so apologies if you've seen it before.

Tank: White Red Sea Max 250

Skimmer: Deltec MC500

Chiller: D-D DC300 + Eheim Compact 3000 pump

Flow: Vortech MP40w

And random bits: Tunze Osmolater, Salifert Test Kits, CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Live Reef Sand and dosing with Microbactor 7 and Reef Biofuel.

Few pictures of todays work and set up. I will say that I was very impressed with the RSM 250, although I think the lid could fit better though - only a small niggle.

L1010323.jpg

L1010329.jpg

L1010332.jpg

L1010333.jpg

L1010334.jpg

L1010340.jpg

----------------

So today was the day for adding the sand and RO water.

As the sand was 'live' I didn't rinse or wash it - I put the water in over a plate as to not disturb the sand and I'm happy to say the water has been relatively clear from the start.

L1010344.jpg

L1010346.jpg

Vortech (seriously good piece of kit) turned on to get the circulation going and the salt mixed.

L1010348.jpg

Next I installed my Deltec MC500. I wanted to keep the tank looking as stock as possible so new I had to cut out a sections at the rear of the tank. If you have a dremmel use this.... I did but no cutting head so had to use a medium sized hack saw!

This is what you need to cut off into a right angle.

L1010350.jpg

During:

L1010353.jpg

After:

L1010355.jpg

My advise would be to turn off all the pumps as a lot of plastic specs etc will end up in the back of the tank and you don't want them being pumped back into the tank. I fished as much as I could out with a small net and used kitchen roll to suck some up like a sponge. The plastic is inevitable but be as careful as possible. I definitely wouldn't do this with live stock in the tank - running the filter floss for a few days should catch anything that's left over.

Bracket on and filter fitted:

L1010356.jpg

L1010357.jpg

Lid shut flush - no need to cut a hole!!

L1010360.jpg

So temperature getting up slowly and the tank as it stands. I know everyone likes pictures so will try to take as many as possible.

L1010361.jpg

L1010362.jpg

L1010363.jpg

----------------------

Today I fitted the Tunze ATO, fairly straight forward job but did confuse me a little when I first opened the box.

To do this on an RSM 250 you'll need to remove the cooling fans on the back left of the hood. They are actually stupidly loud anyways so it's no bad thing.

L1010364.jpg

25L Water container in the left of the cabinet and running up the back, will be tidying up the cables next week. Sensors on the left, water top up on the right, although it's currently all turned off while I find the right water level to get the skimmer working properly - it's giving me a bit of trouble.

L1010365.jpg

L1010367.jpg

Also my live rock came in the post from Rock N' Critters, I asked for small to medium size and the pieces that came are perfect. Had a crab fall off the rock when I was unpacking it, glad it happened then and he didn't end up in the tank. I think he's a bad guy but stil trying to find out. Have some life on the rock already, no idea what it is though, anyone know?

DSC_8660.jpg

So FTS as it stands:

DSC_8654.jpg

Next week I'm installing the chiller and tonight I'm doing my first water tests.

-------------------------

I have actually moved the ATO to the right hand chamber, and then turned it off as it was coming on every 5 minutes and was becoming very annoying - not sure if this is normal?

My params over the past 4 days have been:

Salt - 1.0255

Ammonia - 0.25
PH - 8.1
KH - 15.3 dKH
Nitrite - 1
Nitrate - 75

Ammonia - 0.25
PH - 8.4
Kh - 8.2
Nitrite - 2
Nitrate - 50

Had great difficulty installing the chiller but have another thread up hopefully with a solution!

Many thanks,

Ed.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Ed - fantastic pics - very very nice ! Lovely tank & rockscape ! Look forward to your review on your Deltec MC500 ! Thanks for sharing & welcome again to RS the nicest and most friendly reefing forum in the world - with the worlds largest RSM club !

David Shaw

I love the white tanks. If i ever upgraded mine to a 250 i would go white. It's looking great, am sure i speak for everyone when i saw we all look forwards to seeing the tank progress with more pictures and updates as you go along.

vubben

All I can say is "Damn I wish I'd gotten the white 250" Great job, great pics, love the rocks.
FWIW. I had trouble with my Tunze ATO until I washed the sensor in vinegar. Since then... no problems at all.

byronredsea

Looks nice just a word of concern for me is that you have the top up on the wrong side if your filter wool gets clogged witch it does it will over flow your tank

imaccat

Hi,

Fantastic set up, it looks great. I also think that you should consider moving the ATO sensors to the right hand chamber as the left side is more likely to see water level changes than the right and it will be topping up when you don't want it to.

Good luck

GregT

Hi Eddd

I love the white RSMs.
Your aquascape is very nice. How much rock is there?

-and I'm really looking forward to following your progress.

cheers
Greg

pocketreef

It looks like you know what you're doing modding from scratch! I wish you a happy reefing experience. Nice choices.

Eddd

Thanks for your comments.

Hi,

Fantastic set up, it looks great. I also think that you should consider moving the ATO sensors to the right hand chamber as the left side is more likely to see water level changes than the right and it will be topping up when you don't want it to.

Good luck

No worries, I have actually moved it and it's working perfectly now.

Hi Eddd

I love the white RSMs.
Your aquascape is very nice. How much rock is there?

-and I'm really looking forward to following your progress.

cheers
Greg

Hi Greg,

There's about 20kg of live rock in there. I had more but thought it worked well how it was. I see you're from Wellington, I spent 5 months living on Cuba Street.

It looks like you know what you're doing modding from scratch! I wish you a happy reefing experience. Nice choices.

Haha yes, I thought I would end up changing it eventually so why not from the start. The best thing I did was remove the rear cooling fans, they were so noisy and I don't feel like they did much.

I'm still having serious issues with my chiller. I've figured out how to get it working but the pipes are leaking in several places even with a coating of silicone on the joints. I've bought a glue gun off ebay so I'll be having some fun with that next week.

vubben

The best thing I did was remove the rear cooling fans, they were so noisy and I don't feel like they did much.
Don't know about the 250 but the single cooling fan on my 130 dropped the temp by a few degrees. I'm also not sure if they are the same fans but the sound from my single is barely noticeable. Were both of yours loud? Perhaps you've got a bad bearing or two.

Eddd

Don't know about the 250 but the single cooling fan on my 130 dropped the temp by a few degrees. I'm also not sure if they are the same fans but the sound from my single is barely noticeable. Were both of yours loud? Perhaps you've got a bad bearing or two.

I don't know how much effect they had on the temperature really as the tank was still heating up when I removed them but they were really noisy and I don't think it was a bearing or anything. Just the sound of a couple of fans whirring, but louder than the light hood fans.

Eddd

The good news is that the chiller has been successfully running for 36 hours with no leaks! I'm still to nervous to put it in the cuboard incase it leeks again but will give it a go tonight.

Did my tests today again, this is what's happening;

Temp: 25
Salinity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0.25
PH: 8.2
KH: 14.8
Nitrite: 0.025
Nitrate: 5 (didn't realise you had to divide results by 10 with Salifert kit)

So after 9 days it's looking good, I've had no algae whatsoever in the tank with just a little die off from the rock.

The problem now is since I've installed the chiller the tank is full of tiny air bubbles, making the water look very bitty. I thought this also might be skimmer related but not sure?

bub.jpg

Anyways this is how things stand at the moment, sorry for the camera phone pics! Still a bit of tidying up to do.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Ed. With the Salifert nitrate test, if you look straight down into the test against the color card, you don't divide by 10, If you look through the side of the test solution then you divide by 10. I think you figured that out. It seems like quite a few get bubbles after hooking up a chiller, but I can't remember if its trapped air being released, or some other reason.

Eddd

Hi Terry, I think I found the problem soon after posting this. I'd turned the ATO off and think the water level was to close to the hole I cut in one of the submerged pipes (as a safety to kill the syphon in case of leaks). Raised the water level a little in the back and will see what happens :)