ebay live rock

BigJay

Anyone have any experience with lifeoceanic based in Tampa? They are selling premium fiji for $2.19 a pound on ebay.
The Best Fiji Live Rock In FL!! - eBay (item 280254796202 end time Aug-16-08 13:55:15 PDT)

I ordered 80 pounds from the yesterday and its set to arrive tommorrow. Worked out to be around $3.20 a pound with the shipping. Seems they have a pretty solid feedback rating. One thing I like is they gave me their phone number in case I have any questions or problems.

Anyhow I'll post pics up of the rock I get in tommorrow. Just curious if anyone else has bought from them.

jellyman

I would not want to ship live rock out of water for 2-3 days. You'll need to cure it again before putting it into an established tank. Not bad for 3 per pound. There are a few Florida aquaculture places that ship sweet stuff O/N for about $5-6 per pound shipped and it can go straight into any tank.

BigJay

the shipping from them to me is less then 24 hours.

I actually would prefer florida aquaculture rock but money is getting tight. I figured at 3 bucks a pound delivered it wouldn't have to be much beyond dry base rock to be worth it. It'll be here this afternoon.. UPS always delivers late to my neighborhood. I'll snap some pics of it and see how it looks.

Hornet

I'm subscribing so I can check out the pic's when you post'em.

I'm currently weighing rock options for my tank build, I'd like to hear what you think after you get it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm with Hornet. I'd like to see what it looks like as well. The last time I ordered LR I got it from a reputable source and it was "Ok" live rock but very dense. I mean VERY dense so I didn't get as much "Bang for the buck".

Can't wait to see and hear all about this one though. $3/lb is a good price especially since here locally it's $13/lb

BigJay

locally here its around $10 a pound but its basically barren rock. If your lucky it might have a spot or two of coraline on it. I searched quite a few places before placing that order though and ran across quite a few saying live imported fiji has not been great for the last year to year and a half.
I am very worried about overly dense rock. We'll find out soon.

BigJay

can I go on record by saying I really dislike UPS? 5:15 and still no sign of the delivery driver. With the heat its really getting me worried.

BigJay

lol. I am the second to last street on our particular UPS route. I have gotten deliveries at 11:30 PM before. Fedex and USPS both deliver before 1 PM. But I've watched the Fedex guy chuck 3 boxes out in my driveway that were all glass products with no less then a dozen stickers per box saying so. So what can you do?
I did notice it says out for delivery at 9 AM when usually that would be 4 or 5 AM so they might have gotten a late start. At this point I am just like a puppy in the window staring down the driveway. :drunk:

lcstorc

Like the taxi from Newark to Philly that didn't have a speedometer? I have no idea how fast he was driving and I don't want to know.

BigJay

allright here you go.
scale 1 to 10 (10 being best)

color = 2 I see a few spots of green coraline and a few spotches of dead coraline but thats about it. In fairness I need to give it a few days. But initially the color is not great. No obvious signs of purple anywhere.

pouresnous - 7 There was about 70 percent of nice pourous rock. Not huge holes like you sometimes see but not bad. About 30 percent had some very very dense sections. Its a little less then what I would hand pick but not bad overall for a bulk order of fiji.

Life - I can't answer this one yet. It has some porites and a few other corals but I can't be sure if it's live or dead yet. I saw no macro initially but that does not mean its not there. Some signs of fan worms but its not unusual for the tubes to be mostly cleaned off during shipping and packing.

Size - 9 .They really shipped some great size pieces. A couple are probably close to 25 pounds. The rest where 4-8 pounds. No tiny golf ball rocks. I was pleasantly surprised there since I didn't specify. There was a minimal amount of breakage.

Upon opening the box the first thing I noticed was the rock smelled good. Now this can be good or bad. Good if no life was lost, bad if there was no life to begin with. The box was like a sauna so I am not super optomistic about seing a huge spurt of life over the next couple months but i have been suprised before. Sadly this rock does look better then whats being sold as fiji live at the local LFS's. But its a total smack in the face to what was being sold a decade ago. I'd buy it again but only as a base rock or if your LFS is carrying the same crap mine is. Oh where or where has good fiji gone?
I 'll post pics over the next month and see how it comes out.

heres the pics.
DSC03142.jpg

DSC03143.jpg

DSC03144.jpg

DSC03145.jpg

DSC03146.jpg

DSC03147.jpg

DSC03148.jpg

DSC03149.jpg

DSC03150.jpg

DSC03151.jpg

DSC03152.jpg

BigJay

it smelled good. Only on or two pieces had a tiny bit of odor but for the most part it smelled very healthy.