ebay live rock

Hornet

Thanks for the pics. I'll keep this in mind as I'm only looking to get some base rock for my new tank. I've been looking at dry rock for around $2.25 lb so some of this stuff is an option for me to consider.

BigJay

Just an update.

After watching the rock for one night, I have found maybe 4 or 5 small splotches of purple coraline. Still need more time to be sure but color is very poor at this point.I actually believe the green coraline I originally thought was there is nothing but purple that hasn't turned completely white.
Now the rock is settled there are literally thousands of worm tubes but still no sign of live worms. This will take some time of course but it is promising.
I do see some slough off of some macros but no obvious survivors.
Of the 3 porites 1 is completely dead. The other two have signs of recent life but its iffy if they will survive. Which really stinks because on one I can see it was probably populated by 3 or so christmas tree worms.
My skimmer isn't pulling skimate yet and I am out of ammonia test kits so I can't comment there but there is no odor coming from the water.

BigJay

IMO in the last 2 months I haven't seen one piece of good fiji rock. The only good rocks I have are the ones I bought out of other peoples long established tanks.
Again the sad truth is this rock is better then whats at my LFS's for 1/4th the price but the "premium" thats its tagged with is applied very loosely unless I just see an explosion in live stuff over the next month.

BigJay

meant to update this too. I actually am seeing some nice patches of purple show up on a few pieces and some of the green is getting to be a brighter green. I sent an message to the place and they said alot of the white areas will come back really quickly. I dunno if thats true or not I always thought white is dead.
I also saw some polyp extension on 2 of the porites. Also a few barnacles lived. I blew off the rocks today and blasted off a few more macros some looked like had I not blown the rocks off they would have made it.
I found the remnants of some sort of star fish that didn't make it. I haven't seen any worm life or free roaming life like snails or pods but its still early.
I am feeling better about the rock as the days go on. I'll still keep people posted.

BigJay

well 11 days down. The porites are toast. No macros shown up. No worms shown.No snails. No sponges .no nothing. Color still is crap.
Will update one more time at the 30 day mark. But I think that you all get the point of the rock quality.

BigJay

last update on this since nearly 2 months has passed. Color never came back like i knew it wouldn't. I have probably 3% of the rock with good color. Not one live anything has come out of these rocks. Not one new hitchiker , fan worm, sponge ..nada zilch zero. Take it for what its worth. Want some semi cured base rock this is the ticket. Looking for good live rock spend your pennies elsewhere.

I bought my live rock from them I thinks its great they really gave me a variety of sizes although it was shipped in news paper there was not a lot of die off it took my rock roughly two weeks to cure fully here is a picture of it now almost 9 months later
IMG_0739.jpg

BigJay

well like I said in a previous post its better then the rock being sold at the LFS's here. Its unfortunate people are paying top dollar for this kind of rock and its a far cry from what I use to buy in the early 90's.
The only good looking rock I've seen at all lately is the florida mari-cultured rock and the rocks I bought out of someone elses long established tank.

I do have some life popping up here and there inside one of the rock is what looks like a tube worm but i cant get a picture of it there is also a nice sied piece of sponge on the back side of one of my rocks but that was about it I got more random life in the cheato i got from my lfs all kinds or critters in the sump now there are these tiny white specks clung to the glass about the size of a pinhead with what looks like legs coming out all around their round bodies does anyone know what they are??? They are too small for the camera to focus on otherwise I would post a pic

naperenterprise

Well I feel good, the rock I sell has a lot more color than the ebay stuff.
I just sold this at $2.00 a pound to my buddy Mike:

mike2.jpg

BigJay

if its a hard calcified spec look to see if its a tiny spiral. Most likely its a fan worm. Usually the fans are very tiny though.

Its not a fan worm, although I have one growing in my sump thats about centimeter long, these look like a little pair of boobies ( i don't know what else to compare them to) lol here are some pics although they are not very good It was a very hard angle I think they may be some type of barnacle
IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

Don Pooley

Hello..

I am new to marine fish keeping. I have a second hand tank and tomorrow i am going to go and buy some live sand and rock. I have read a few posts but i guess my main question is how do you tell good live rock from bad live rock.
Also is there anything in particular that i should look for when choosing. I will probably go to a few stores and see what they all have on offer.
If anyone out there can give me a few pointers i would be greatfull.

Thanks

DP

BigJay

ahh thats a tunicate you've got growing there. Just a filter feeder. Good for the tank. :thumbup: also known as sea squirts.