Dying anemone?

Jeffrey Deardurff

Can anyone tell me if my anemone is dying? He's been rejecting food for a couple of weeks now and in a matter of 2 days he went to looking shriveled up and his mouth is puffy almost like dead tissue floating around it (looks like anyway). Tried to attach PIC but I guess it's too large.

DaveK

It sure doesn't sound good. However, it's not possible to be completely sure because there is so little information. To better answer your questions, please give us the following information.

What species of anemone do you have?

How long have you had the anemone?

What size tank do you have the anemone in?

How long have you had the tank set up?

What filtration and skimming do you have?

What kind of lighting do you have?

If the anemone is attached to a single rock or not attached at all, you can take it out and give it the smell test. A normal anemone can smell bad, but a dead or close to dead on will smell really rank and foul. Also if you see what looks like "smoke" coming from the anemone it is most likely dead.

Be very careful here. A dead anemone can wipe out the entire tank. You may find this recent threat about a similar problem helpful - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/i-need-help-asap.98328/

Jeffrey Deardurff

Can anyone tell me if my anemone is dying? He's been rejecting food for a couple of weeks now and in a matter of 2 days he went to looking shriveled up and his mouth is puffy almost like dead tissue floating around it (looks like anyway). Tried to attach PIC but I guess it's too large.
Can anyone tell me if my anemone is dying? He's been rejecting food for a couple of weeks now and in a matter of 2 days he went to looking shriveled up and his mouth is puffy almost like dead tissue floating around it (looks like anyway). Tried to attach PIC but

It is in a 30 gallon biocube that's been established for a year. Salinity tests normal. Have protein skimmer and bio balls. Have lighting that I can switch from normal to blue. Only thing was the water tested a bit high on nitrates but got those levels back down to normal.

Jeffrey Deardurff

It is in a 30 gallon biocube that's been established for a year. Salinity tests normal. Have protein skimmer and bio balls. Have lighting that I can switch from normal to blue. Only thing was the water tested a bit high on nitrates but got those levels back down to normal.

Jeffrey Deardurff

It is a long tentacle anemone and I've had it 2 months. I did have a clown fish that bullied it and would steal it's good right out of its mouth...not sure if that would contribute or not...the clown fish was removed a month ago

Uncle99

Yup that's not good, I am surprised with the clown bullying, once taken as home will clearly defend it. I put my hand close and the clowns attack. My clowns feed the anenome, as it in their best interest, safety and home.
Sometimes Anenomes just go "poof", even though everything is OK. I like the smell test idea, it a good one if possible, and if any doubt, whack him, cause he can cause very much damage to others.
A pic would certainly help alot
If

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for posting ! I can see him now but don't know enough about nems to offer an opinion - hopefully others can see and advise...

Uncle99

Anenomes require excellent and stable water parameters in a well cycled tank, not to say yours is not. What I can see is an LTA, somewhat deflated, but appears to be "attached" to the rock. The ones that I have had die, in the past would totally deflate, unattached and spit some goop from the mouth. I don't see that. A spike in nitrate would have PO'd him but Wouldn't kill him.
When he is happy he will be inflated with Tentacles waiving lightly in the flow. I assume this is how he was before. They will deflate when eating and crapping but should not stay deflated longer than 2 days.
get him out if he does any of those things Dave points out above.
ammonia is zero correct?

Jeffrey Deardurff

Ammonia was fine. Nitrates were high in unsafe levels. Put a balancer in to temporarily fix it but going to do a partial water change tomorrow.

DaveK

Ammonia was fine. Nitrates were high in unsafe levels. Put a balancer in to temporarily fix it but going to do a partial water change tomorrow.

First off, I'm not trying to beat up on you. However a lot of your posts convey little or no useful information. Consider the statements "Salinity tests normal. ", "Only thing was the water tested a bit high on nitrates but got those levels back down to normal.", "Ammonia was fine. Nitrates were high in unsafe levels. ", we know very little, because what might seem "normal" to you might indicate a major issue to someone else. Please post exact readings. It's the only way we can know what is going on.

Same thing with lighting. To evaluate if it's enough for an anemone we need to know the quantity, wattage, kind of bulb, and what type of bulb it is. for example a typical coralife biocube 30 had 1 36w Actinic power compact bulb and 1 36w power compact 10000K daylight bulb. However, it's quite possible the bulbs your using don't match these specs or that the lighting was upgraded.

I can tell you that if you have those original spec bulbs you don't have nearly enough light for an anemone. However, we can let this go for now, because it's a long term issue and not related to your immediate problem.

Anemones don't like high nitrate, and this is likely a major factor. However, with out exact readings, we can't be sure. Also, what was the "balancer" product you used? It's not likely this is an issue, but some additives can do a lot more harm than good.

On the picture of the anemone, this helps quite a bit. The mouth really looks bad. Keep a very close eye on this for any signs of decay. Also test ammonia, since an ammonia spike usually indicates something dead in the tank. Even so they anemone may not be lost yet. Sometimes they expel their insides, and even then sometimes recover. However a dead one will quickly foul the tank.

I think the chances of your anemone surviving are low, but you just never know. Sometimes you get lucky.

Uncle99

Daves advice is always solid.
I would do 2, 25% water changes 1 day apart and retest all parameters.
watch carefully and let us know what the result is in a few days. It does not appear to be "breaking up" in anyway but I pic under white light would be easier to see.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nitrate (NO3) reduction is directly proportional to percentage of Water Change.

10% wc will reduce the nitrates 10%

How often do you do wc and in what %?

this scares... "Put a balancer in " 1st choice for high nitrates for me would be more frequent water changes (wc) and bigger % ones

Hope this helps ! :clownfish:

DaveK

Daves advice is always solid.
I would do 2, 25% water changes 1 day apart and retest all parameters.
watch carefully and let us know what the result is in a few days. It does not appear to be "breaking up" in anyway but I pic under white light would be easier to see.
Nitrate (NO3) reduction is directly proportional to percentage of Water Change.

10% wc will reduce the nitrates 10%

How often do you do wc and in what %?

this scares... "Put a balancer in " 1st choice for high nitrates for me would be more frequent water changes (wc) and bigger % ones

Hope this helps ! :clownfish:

This is all correct about dealing with nitrates. However, we still need to know the exact nitrate reading so we know what we are dealing with. A high reading of 30 ppm nitrate is usually dealt with much differently than a reading of 200 ppm.

The other consideration is that doing water changes, will likely needed, will place some additional stress on the anemone and on the system.

Uncle99

Seems you now have some great advice.
I keep reading on this site about people feeding anenomes on a regular basis like daily. Please correct me but that's excessive, not required, and will "back-up" in the animals processing system. It's not natural. Anenomes can't catch food on a regular basis in the wild, just what floats by. I feed my anenomes, 1. Fingernail size piece of raw shrimp, once per month only, it's takes them forever to fully process it. Worse, this polute the tank. Do not attempt to feed this animal anymore until 100% recovered.
Keep us posted, I'm interested in what happens for my education.
Can I have a picture not in blue?