Dweezil's RSM 130D

Dweezil

Thanks Everyone...

Glenn ~ It was not hard at all doing the install. The actual programming was not too bad but the documentation leaves MUCH to be desired.
I had lots of help here (thank goodness for this place!) between Steved13, Tom and Terry.

jpsika08

I don't know why but most of all aquarium equipment that I have recently bought, all of them caress of a good instruction manual, most of the installation has to be done through thread reading or similar.

Good that all of it is up and running Tammy, Tom the MOD guy will guide for sure.

clka

Tammy, what do you have connected? I just opened mine this morning (Xmas gift!) and am a bit daunted, but have started going through the online manual which seems more complete than what came in the box. I want to connect the heater and eventually the ph probe. I'm not sure where to hang all the stuff, that might be the most time consuming part!

Cheryl

Dweezil

Cheryl ~ I just have the heater connected. Yes, the online manual is better. Tom put the link to that in my thread and I used it. I'm also paranoid LOL but when it's a heater you want to make darn sure what your doing is right. I spent half the night waiting to see if the heater would kick on when needed and go off. haha

clka

Tammy, I did go back in your thread and find some useful links...I think this project may wait till the weekend so I can get Ron involved - two heads will help make sure we don't overlook something. I have a Lifeguard alert probe in the RSM now and plan to keep that in at least a couple of days after getting the controller going, then want to move that to the QT - I'll be happier when everyone is under one roof. I am constantly checking the temps in the tanks now especially first thing in the morning as the house is 66 degrees at night. Always something to worry about :rolleyes:

Cheryl

crespeto

Have fun with the Keeper, they are pretty cool, I want to get a long enough cable to hook it up to my computer so I can get better views of the logs and program it from there and all that. Keep up the good work.

tnwillia

Christopher, Although DA says different, you can make your own Bus cables as long as you keep them under about 50 ft. I use Cat-5 or Cat-6 cable (this is 4 pair/8 wire cable, you only need 3 pair/6 wires) and 6 pin RJ-12 connectors and a crimper for the connectors. This is a "straight" cable (both ends go into the connector the same way. Lowes has all this or did last time I looked. Have fun!

crespeto

sweet info, thanks, I may actually have spare cable at home already and had to make a couple rj5 cables so just bought the crimper and a box of the different size connectors, not sure if I have rj-12 but I can go get a few. I think 50ft should be okay to run it up into the attic and down well behind the tank. Sweet weekend project, wife will love this :)

Dweezil

Dave & Tracy ~ Sorry I missed your post earlier. It does seem a bit overwhelming at first but check out some of the links Tom has put in my thread.
We have some great resource's here :)

Chris ~ I was thinking of doing the same thing (not to that level though) ;)
I have a laptop and can go right to the tank when I want to connect it to the laptop.
I think you'll need a splitter too. This is the one that someone said worked well RJ12 6-Pin Phone Line Splitter 1M - 2F - PcPartsCollection.com

tnwillia

Hey Tammy, I read a post on DA forum the other day saying the splitter you buy at Radio Shack or Lowes are "rolled" not "straight" and don't work. I've not tried it to know. I'm going to put a DA Hub (1 input & 5 out bus ports) on mine, that gives you several ports, I ordered their splitter to see how it was built. Have fun!

Dweezil

I read that also Tom but the link I gave I think might be for straight thru. Someone bought them and said they worked.
Here is part of the product desc from that particular one :
RJ12 6 Conductor Duplex Adapter
One Male to Two Females
Wired straight thru 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6 on both Female Jacks

Dweezil

Like Terry I also got the new Red Sea test kits and will share with you some thoughts as well as a couple of pictures.
The initial cost seems pretty steep but you do get a quality test kit for the money and you can buy refills apparently and not have to buy the whole kit over again.

I ordered the Reef Foundation Pro Multi Test Kit $49.99 which includes:
Calcium - 75 tests, accuracy of +/- 2.5 ppm.
KH/Alkalinity - 75 tests, accuracy of +/- 0.025 meq/l, .07 dKH
Magnesium - 60 tests, accuracy of +/- 10 ppm.

I also ordered the Algae Control Multi Test Kit $49.99 which includes:
Nitrate - 100 tests, range of .06 - 15 ppm, accuracy of .06ppm.
Phosphate - 100 tests, range of .0014 - 1.6 ppm, accuracy of .014ppm

I must say I was very impressed with the packaging. The kit comes in a Red Sea box and in that box is the actual kit that is not just cheap plastic or cardboard. It's pretty heavy duty with room for everything and well layed out.

So far I have only done the Nitrate test. I'll add more comments and possibly more pictures when I have done the others. I found the test pretty easy to use with very adequate directions. I agree with Terry in a close call say between .25 and .0 it might still be a bit hard to read and a judgment call. A color wheel is a color wheel but this one is better than many. It takes much more water to run these tests than any others I have used. For the Nitrate test it takes 16ml in each vial compared to the usual 2 to 5 ml with most other tests. Now on to the pictures

DSC_1134.jpg

Contents

DSC_1136.jpg

You get your test results by adding the different solutions to the vial closest to the center of the color wheel. The outer vial is for plain tank water only. Wait 9 minutes (for Nitrate other test vary in time) while looking down from the top turn the color wheel to the closest match in the outer vial.
My test results for Nitrate 0 YAY! What I expected as that's the reading I get with API as well.

DSC_1140.jpg