Dweezil's RSM 130D

Dweezil

Terry ~ I don't think we had 7 tornados. We had 7 killed by the tornado. So far I think they are only confirming 2 tornado's

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Doh, got that one wrong then, must have misread it. Either that or the Aussie press got it wrong. Glad to hear that you weren't in it's path Tammy.

Dweezil

I used CaribSea Dry Aragonite Fiji Pink Reef Sand. Although the name is misleading as there is really no pink at all. I just happened to like the grain size and color of that one.

I got screwed on my substrate...They did not have the Red Sea that came w/the starter kit so they gave me Carib Sea Sugar sized...it was real bad @ first, but has gotten a little better with time, but I wish I would have gone a little bigger w/the grain size. live and learn right??

Dweezil

I've heard the sugar sized sand is a real PITA. Many people have taken (slowly) some of that out and replaced it with larger sand. If you wanted to you could probably do that just like a cup or so at a time with your water changes.

I've heard the sugar sized sand is a real PITA. Many people have taken (slowly) some of that out and replaced it with larger sand. If you wanted to you could probably do that just like a cup or so at a time with your water changes.

When I set this up I actualy had a bag of larger grain sized aragonite based substrate also as well as a bag of crushed coral. I wanted a DSB(for a possible jaw fish) so I mixed a 10 lb bag of Larger sand w/some of the crushed coral and laid it down as a good base and I figured it might help w/erosion, wich it has...my mistake came when I added the 20 lbs of sugar on top....Per the suggestion of the LFS...this was before RS...so that is exactly what I am doing now, everywater change I vacume the substrate @ take about a cup out a week but have not begun adding any as of yet because I was not sure about that, small amounts at a time I would assume right???

Dweezil

Yes, I would probably add as much as I take out at a time. As you said a cup or so. Just make sure you rinse it real well. I know David Shaw and Anthony both have added sand occasionally with no ill effects.

imaccat

I added about 20lbs over 3-4 days as my initial sand was too fine, so I added a coarser grain over the top rather than taking any out

I added about 20lbs over 3-4 days as my initial sand was too fine, so I added a coarser grain over the top rather than taking any out
I was also just thinking about doing it that way...I will continue w/out adding for a couple more weeks and then purchase some heavier grains. Thank you for the advice.

Yes, I would probably add as much as I take out at a time. As you said a cup or so. Just make sure you rinse it real well. I know David Shaw and Anthony both have added sand occasionally with no ill effects.
How do you like the Fiji Pink??? are the grains large enough??? I have seen it at the store I like the white look also.

Dweezil

I like the Fiji Pink. Of coarse it's all a matter of personal taste. :) For me, the grain was not too fine that it would blow all over the tank but yet fine enough for the burrowing. I knew I would eventually want a Jawfish when I set my tank up so I made most of my decision based on that and the fact that I liked the whiter look as well.

I like the Fiji Pink. Of coarse it's all a matter of personal taste. :) For me, the grain was not too fine that it would blow all over the tank but yet fine enough for the burrowing. I knew I would eventually want a Jawfish when I set my tank up so I made most of my decision based on that and the fact that I liked the whiter look as well.
I think I like that one too.

slyf2007

I bought a BSJ a few weeks ago and he is making a mess!!! I made the mistake of getting live sand and crushed coral at the same time when I first setup my tank so when I do the water change it's a PITA to try and clean the substrate because the sand just clogs up the tube.

Changing it slowly sounds like a good idea to me.

Dweezil

I bought a BSJ a few weeks ago and he is making a mess!!!

Yep, it's what they do. :) Totally worth it for me though. He is the star of the tank and if I had nothing else but him I would be happy even if he is a spoiled brat. LOL

greneis7

Tammy~ I have been snooping around your thread. I LOVE your tank! It is so beautiful and bright and CLEAN! I hope that mine will look this nice some day!