dustinc's SPS E-260

dustinc

New home, new build...

I have been in the hobby for about 12 years and had several different aquariums throughout the years including complete custom systems and various "package" systems. I've owned the original RSM 250 & a RSM S-650 and I was always impressed with the build quality, but not always the equipment included. I searched out to find an aquarium that gave that great "packaged" look, but the ability to add the equipment I want to use. I was between the Reefer Series and the E-Series and after seeing both in person at a LFS, I chose the E-Series.

I picked up the system yesterday from a LFS and started working on it last night. Below are some pics of where it is going to go and the progress thus far...

Where the aquarium will sit
IMG_0219_zpsv17r9iog.jpg

Loaded up in the car
IMG_0217_zpseqr4ra8r.jpg

Unloaded
IMG_0218_zps3zhmtibe.jpg

It starts...
IMG_0222_zpsc5i0xnb1.jpg

The tank
IMG_0223_zpsq96j13zs.jpg

Stand completed
IMG_0224_zpsotctzud3.jpg

IMG_0225_zpsl2yt51gj.jpg

IMG_0226_zpsj42g5ba1.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for starting a new thread and sharing Dustin ! Congrats on the beautiful new tank & home !

Great pics, love seeing every step !!! Can't wait to see the lights !

dustinc

Kev, It's the first E series I've seen on any forum that I frequent... Not sure how many have been purchased to this point, but feel pretty confident I'm one of the first. They are beautiful and preferred it over the Reefer series because it feels more like a coast to coast overflow with still being able to add the sump and other equipment... Now I'm just waiting for the Sump/Plumbing kits to arrive in the US so I can get that going.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
You could well be the first State but we have a few in the UK who have got the first in the world records :celebrate:
OK, have you been given an ETA on the sumps system yet ? this does give you the opportunity to show folks how easy it is to set up an E Series and then convert to a sump system, this would depend on the wait for the sump system of course, if its only a day or two away ?? you could always cycle the system then add the sump, this should not effect the cycle in anyway.

dustinc

I was told mid April the sump system will be available and that is my plan at this point is to run the system stock and add the sump in a few weeks when they arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photoman

agreed great pics I just got my E-260 setup. Manuals are horrible but system started up. Only problem is with tunze ATO. Also the cover for the power center has the tendency to pull the cord for the skimmer pump out.

Attachments

• IMG_0059 (1).JPG
    IMG_0059 (1).JPG
    613.8 KB · Views: 37

dustinc

Update:

So I was able to get the aquarium placed on the stand and everything setup on Thursday evening and we have been out of state over the weekend, so I haven't been able to do anything else. I did receive my new RODI unit from BRS on Friday and started running it today. Tuesday, I should be receiving my sand and a few other items. I am still trying to figure out the direction I want to go with my rock. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I snapped a few pics once everything was put together.

FTS
IMG_0228_zpsv4ewlri0.jpg

Close Up
IMG_0229_zps6idmhqxf.jpg

Side Shot
IMG_0230_zpsvlnr5bs7.jpg

Rear Chambers
IMG_0232_zpsgwzr78wz.jpg

Skimmer
IMG_0233_zpsajloncww.jpg

dustinc

Update: I ordered 50lbs of Monado rock from PremiumAquatics and received it on Friday. I was able to setup the rock how I wanted and added Dr. Tim's One and Only Reef to get the bacteria started with the cycle. I am very pleased with how that turned out. I am also using a Tunze ATO w/ a Trigger Systems Ruby 10 gallon container, a Votech MP10ESQD, and Eheim Jager 150 watt heater. Everything is running very smoothly, but I am very ready for the plumbing and sump kits to be in the States so I can get rid of the skimmer that comes with the system. I want to have something running temporarily, but it is producing micro-bubbles like crazy. Definitely loving the system so far...

IMG_0272_zpshvpg2ckm.jpg

IMG_0273_zps3ncauqx2.jpg

dustinc

Great home and great tank!

But $170 for a 10 gallon water container? :)

Thanks. I love clean lines and things that work as they should so I never have to worry about them. I wanted something larger than the couple gallon container that comes with the sump and that's what I found.

dustinc

Update:

So a lot has changed over the last couple weeks and buying fully cured rock from a running system and using Dr. Tims One and Only worked great for the cycle, which didn't even last a day really. I've added several fish and several coral and everything is doing great, eating like pigs, and the corals have been coloring up very nice. A few of the SPS I added were quite brown when I purchased, and they have changed dramatically. I've been very impressed with the lighting and what I'm able to do. I am not utilizing the recommended program from RedSea for color combinations, but have found one that works well. I picked up several more corals today at a local coral show that had some amazing options. Check out the few pics below to get an idea of where the tank is tonight. I uploaded the pictures and only utilized white balance to try and get the photo to not just look washed out blue. This is the best I could do.

IMG_0313_zpszybrednx.jpg

IMG_0314_zpsjjahkghk.jpg

IMG_0315_zpspgcqkagi.jpg

dustinc

Better Pictures...

I figured out how to take much better pictures than the ones above.... Those are just awful, and these aren't great, but figured out how to white balance better so that it looks more realistic and not so saturated. Over time, hopefully I can get better at the blue light picture taking. ha ha...

IMG_0327%202_zpsknaaxrdv.jpg

IMG_0329%202_zpstm6joafd.jpg

IMG_0330%202_zpsxkbeliix.jpg

IMG_0332%202_zps46ybwknv.jpg

Antics

Loving the aquascape. Do you think 1 MP 10 will be enough for an SPS reef? I'm planning two for my mixed reef on a C250. What kind of sand did you end up using? Looks bigger than Fiji, maybe special grade?

Looking good! I'm not sure about white balance photos but your fish and corals are looking very stocked!

dustinc

Loving the aquascape. Do you think 1 MP 10 will be enough for an SPS reef? I'm planning two for my mixed reef on a C250. What kind of sand did you end up using? Looks bigger than Fiji, maybe special grade?

Looking good! I'm not sure about white balance photos but your fish and corals are looking very stocked!

I am really not sure on the MP10 question. For now, it is definitely enough because of the added 2 circulation pumps and an additional pump will be used once the sump kit is released so there is a lot of flow. I may have to add a second as the SPS grow and block some of the flow.

As for sand, I used the Tropic Eden ReefFlakes which is by far the best sand on the market in my mind. I've used all types from many different companies, and ReefFlakes are by far my favorite. Don't move around with a lot of flow and very clean and uniform.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't plan on adding any more fish, but still need to find a few more corals to get it where I want and then just let them grow and fill space.

Antics

As for sand, I used the Tropic Eden ReefFlakes which is by far the best sand on the market in my mind. I've used all types from many different companies, and ReefFlakes are by far my favorite. Don't move around with a lot of flow and very clean and uniform.
What do you estimate the grain size to be? I've only ever used Oolite/Fiji Pink/Special Grade of the Arag-Alive. It's a tough balance for me to find a sand that either a) won't blow around in a sand tornado with my flow or b) the grain size is so large that it begins to look dirty due to Coraline/other algae growth.

I'm really considering bare bottom on my new tank.

dustinc

What do you estimate the grain size to be? I've only ever used Oolite/Fiji Pink/Special Grade of the Arag-Alive. It's a tough balance for me to find a sand that either a) won't blow around in a sand tornado with my flow or b) the grain size is so large that it begins to look dirty due to Coraline/other algae growth.

I'm really considering bare bottom on my new tank.

I would say it's closer to the special grade without all the huge chunks. It's very uniform and I have always found it to stay very clean and that not become an issue. I don't think you would be disappointed.

StirCrayzy

Tank looks great, do the lights have a way to adjust left to right, seems kinda far towards the outsides.

dustinc

Tank looks great, do the lights have a way to adjust left to right, seems kinda far towards the outsides.

There is no way to adjust them left to right, but they are placed evenly and the coverage is perfect. Definitely well thought out.