Dry rock and seeding.

soco

In my current tank that I set up a month or so ago, was started with all dry rock. I let it cycle and now have started stocking the tank. My question is should I add a little piece of live rock to add some coraline algea and maybe so ther things I won't have from dry rock. I miss being able to see tiny new critters from the rocks. The tank looks almost to pristine with the fresh clean rocks and white sand. the guy at my lfs said he wouldn't add live rock. Simple cause of what bad stuff might come with it. He said It you did it without live rock he'd keep it that way. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

jpsika08

I'm at a cycling stage as well and used DryRock and sand too, no live rock. My only concern with using one was the possibility to introduce pest such as Aiptasia or Bubble green algae, even transfer Ich from other systems. I read about using coral dip with the rock to remove unwanted hitchhikers.

I think as same as you, having all those small critters running around is fun to watch. I would love to read what others suggest.

ChitownRomeo

I also have always used dry rock to keep the nasties out. But I always used Live sand. For the critters and the bacteria boost that lives in the sand. If you already have rock and sand then you can go online and get some copepods, amphipods and brittle sea stars and such shipped to you.

soco

I also have always used dry rock to keep the nasties out. But I always used Live sand. For the critters and the bacteria boost that lives in the sand. If you already have rock and sand then you can go online and get some copepods, amphipods and brittle sea stars and such shipped to you.
Where do you jet the little sea stars?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If you can get Live Rock from a very trusted tank you could do that and you only need a little. I can't tell you how many people stopped by on my old tank asking for something from it hahaha.

You can also buy seeding packets. Try that indo pacific place IPSF.com i think......you can mix and match what you want.

Another school of thought is to get natural predators in there for the nasties because it is very had to keep aiptasia and GBA out of the tank when you are introducing corals. We tried it with a friend, religious about dipping and remounting everything and bam, still got the junk.

To me nasties are mantis and other bad things....GBA and Aiptasia are just part of the business. Get a Foxface Lo......dude eats everything

dacianb

I started my tank with dried rock and sand too (Red Sea Marine care program is what I used to cycle the tank). After couple of months rocks became darker and darker, now is covering with coraline.
Snails and corals (base rock of them) you will buy sooner or later always have coraline on them.

below, first photo in september 2015 - cycling and ugly tank, second image January 2016

005.jpg
001.jpg