Dosing or suplements

Lurkerz

so what dosing does everyone use or supplements added and when? on 130s mainly. Also I got a hold of some Nano supplementA+B wont mention brand but is says to use it daily seems a bit overkill to me. Any thoughts on this?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I used the Kent Tech CB 2 part for a long time to keep my Ca & Alk up, and have to dose with Kent Mg once in a while to increase magnesium if it gets too low. I have some big SPS corals that deplete things quickly. Right now I'm using SeaChem Reef Advantage Calcium & Reef Buffer - powders that I dissolve and add to my sump - usually every other day. Dosing is only necessary if your Ca and Alk drop between water changes, and the need to dose and the amount can be different for every tank. I wouldn't dose unless you'll be doing testing once every few days to see the effect and determine if what you're adding is enough or too much. The Nano A&B (I'm guessing Kent) may be fine, but may not be needed if you do a weekly water change of 3-4 gallons for a 130 model RSM. :)

At the moment I dose with the Red Sea supplements that I got in my starter kit Magnesium, Calcium and Coral buff, 1 tea spoon of each twice a week.

Should point out I very new to the hobby so still learning.

Steve

dmyers557

I dose 2 part calcium and alkalinity. Before I dosed, my sps would barely grow and polyp extension was not great. After dosing, the sps is growing off the hook and the pe is amazing. Keep in mind, I do the 5 gallon weekly water change religiously and still do with the dosing. It all depends on how much sps you have

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have a Mixed Reef tank (Softies, LPS and now a good stocking of SPS) and as long as I stay on top of my weekly water changes (every other week at the least) I've not had to dose for anything in 2 years. This system works for me and my tanks but may or may NOT work for other tanks. I suspect when I start moving more into SPS dominated tank I'll need to watch and modify my Calc but until it's needed this tank gets no supplements.

dmyers557

I have a Mixed Reef tank (Softies, LPS and now a good stocking of SPS) and as long as I stay on top of my weekly water changes (every other week at the least) I've not had to dose for anything in 2 years. This system works for me and my tanks but may or may NOT work for other tanks. I suspect when I start moving more into SPS dominated tank I'll need to watch and modify my Calc but until it's needed this tank gets no supplements.

Good point. Thats exactly what I did. I never miss water changes, even to this day. But once I started adding lots of sps, dosing 2 part is a must. I don't like dosing at all. In fact, I only dose now because some of my sps got RTN. Then I figured out it was because of low calc and alk. Just trying to save you guys some nice corals instead of making the mistake I did.

Nowellsy SNR

I've never dosed since starting the tank in May but i was going through my stuff i got with the starter kit and decided to dose Coral Buff, Calcium and Magnesium i'll see how it goes

BobBursek

You do not dose it you do not test for it to see if you even need to dose it. Depending on tank needs, salt brand and water change amount and frequancy all plays a role in Mg, Ca, Alk and PH levels, once you test on a regular basis for those, maybe one or 2 times a week you will learn what you need to dose to maintain propper levels of those chemicals. Go to the cheimical forum and read some of the stickeys and learn more!

dankent

RSM forum is a place we have come to know one another ... and are more familiar with each others tanks ... and sometimes this is the best place to get a good idea/suggestion of others with the exact same setup as you..... Human nature, People grow together and bond .... share experiences and help each other out :) chem forum or not .. he has a red sea max :) so he is in the right place anyway.

Dweezil

RSM forum is a place we have come to know one another ... and are more familiar with each others tanks ... and sometimes this is the best place to get a good idea/suggestion of others with the exact same setup as you..... Human nature, People grow together and bond .... share experiences and help each other out :) chem forum or not .. he has a red sea max :) so he is in the right place anyway.

+1 Exactly!

russbooger

I use Microbe Lift All In One, according to the guys in the LFS its pretty good, and my Xenia, Xoas and Shrooms are going pretty good, so well I'm starting to give colonies away. Saying that I religiously carry out my water changes so not sure if its needed, and I'm guessing that these are pretty easy corals to keep as well.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I use Microbe Lift All In One, according to the guys in the LFS its pretty good, and my Xenia, Xoas and Shrooms are going pretty good, so well I'm starting to give colonies away. Saying that I religiously carry out my water changes so not sure if its needed, and I'm guessing that these are pretty easy corals to keep as well.

Yeah if you're on top of your water changes you really don't need anything at this point. Test your water and let your test results guide you. Otherwise you're just tossing your hard earned money out the window (at least potentially).
:biker