Does your skimmer pump ever get stuck?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I'm starting to think Glenn is on the Red Sea payroll, or getting freebies to support them

I hope you are j/k (just kidding)... not everyone may know that...

I bought a 130D & have never had a problem with it, from every post I have read about any other AIO tank, I still think RSM tanks are the best :)

Would I like my skimmer to be a bit more quite - yes - do I wish it performed a bit better - yes

Would I buy my RSM 130D again today, knowing what I know now, six months in - absolutely an unqualified YES

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Lots of members have replaced the stock skimmer... StevieT has sold a ton of media racks & 9002's

I am running my 130D stock with great sucess...

I would suggest give stock a try & if you are not happy with it, add a new skimmer.

There are many successful examples of stock RSM tanks here on the forum, as well as ones with "upgraded" skimmers.

I will say... I have seen plenty of post that say I have problems with my 9002 & my ER skimmer too... I don't think anyone can deny that.

Sapphire

is it better to replace it with the tunze 9002 and be hassle free ?

I ran my stock skimmer for 18 months and it worked fine - I have quite a heavy bioload and am overstocked really so I pushed the skimmer beyind what it was meant to do. I have now replaced it with the Deltec MC500 - which a I really really love!!

Sapphire

When I ran the stck skimmer, my tank was completely stock apart from the timer and LED moonlights.

Actually having just said that we did drill four small holes in corners of the skimmer collection cup to let air out - perhaps that helped with the skimmer function?? We just did what we were advised when we bought it!! e also removed the filter material.

At the same time I added the Deltec I added a Tunze nanostream and have replaced stock RSM circ pumps with Eheim 600 compacts

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
"I hope you are j/k (just kidding)...not everyone may know that..."

Yes, just kidding! :) I think I'd also buy my RSM again, but knowing what I know now, I'd wish I could just buy the hoodless, empty tank and cabinet. After a couple weeks of going back to a sump again, it's so nice to have everything out of the back compartments (other than the 2 circ pumps).

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm sure Glenn is getting some back handers from RedSea. He's just too nice and too positive :D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Ray - nope, I have my E-R skimmer plugged in separately. That may almost be a necessity with the E-R, since it comes with a separate powercord for each of the two pumps, and they need to be plugged in at the same time, which requires an extension cord with at least 2 plug inserts . I suppose it could be done as long as you keep the plugs of the extension out of the water. In my case the skimmer is now in my sump, which would make it a bit more difficult, and with multiple things already plugged in externally it was easier to do the same with the skimmer. I think Tom (tnwillia) is running the E-R in a 250? Maybe he can answer that better.

tnwillia

My ER 250 is plugged into the power center. I do not use a heater so that opened up the extra plug.

websurfer

my skimmer pump is complete crap..

I have been dealing with it since day one and have had impellers sent.

Just to go threw the same steps over and over...

Every time i feed/clean my tank and shut of my skimmer i can plan on spending a good hour or so to get the skimmer working again...

Now i dont even bother turn the thing off to feed which sucks because my iodine is just getting linched from my skimmer...thats when it is working ...

This thing puts out major heat....

every day i get home from work i have to sit and play with it
just to get it to produce bubbles..

But when it does work its great ....

WHEN is the major part ....

Man i can wait for a fix ....

I just feel like my tank is on a life line and the plug could get pulled any min.....

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
my skimmer pump is complete crap..

I have been dealing with it since day one and have had impellers sent.

Hey websurfer, I didn't know you had issues too. That's the first time you have mentioned your skimmer/impeller problems, that I am aware of. I know what you are going through. We could have a fantastic setup for the money we have spent, let alone the hassle.

I find it hard to move on or buy another skimmer and I'm not keen on letting redsea away with it. It has completely taken the fun away..... Anyway, at least we are in the same boat :sinking:

I'd like to know of everyone that is having the same problem, maybe I'll set up a thread so we can all be counted...

brucewrs

I took my skimmer out.It kepted stopping and heating up my water..RSM sent me a new impeller and still have this problem..I have a euro reef skimmer in my sump thats doing a good job..I just dont have the time right now to deal with RSM!!!