Does Niger Trigger eat cleaner shrimp ??

Good day reefers,

i was told and red in the web that the niger trigger cant be kept with cleaner shrimp, i just bought one and it is in the Q tank but i have 3 cleaner shrimps in the Dis. tank... shall i sell the niger or it is safe to keep it with the shrimps and the snails ????!!!

Thanks

GrendelPrime

ive kept cleaner shrimp with different triggers and i never had an issue, i think if the shrimp are in the tank already u might be ok but what works for some might not work with others so i would add him with caution and u will know with in seconds if its gonna work or not

DaveK

As the other post points out, you might get away with this, but most triggers will look at any shrimp, cleaner shrimp included, as lunch.

thnx my friends as usual first to help me.....:)))

i have the shrimps in the tank now for almost 4 months, the trigger is 2 inches .. if i put him for a feast test in the tank and he attacked the shrimp , i wont be able to catch him (trigger) except to tear the aqua scape apart...

It depends on the trigger, mine was nasty and ate anything and everything that was in my tank. Reef safe my butt!!! Need less to say, he is no longer in my tank.

hmmmmm.. lucky u :) but i cant wait to see him eat my shrimp i will @#$@$% him if he eats the shrimp..

plus the friendship bond and history between me and the shrimps :))
it is much expensive and much harder to get the cleaner shrimp than the trigger here in Egypt..

C mine had a thing about fish, he actually left my cleaner shrimp alone (only thing he left alone.) Hopefully he leaves urs alone too...good luck with him.

GrendelPrime

might be better to be cautious then and not put the trigger in the tank, ide hate to hear that he went on a kill crazy rampage and consumed ur shrimp

BLAKEJOHN

All triggers jaws are set up to grind the shells of crustasions and small snails. These are part of thier natural diet. I dont have shrimp anymore due to my lion fish, But I have noticed a large decline in my baby snail population, probly due to the huma trigger I'm sure.

bcarleton

Agree with Blake, I have had my Humu Rectangle for well over 3 years. He has been housed with a SallyLightfoot, several hermits, a cleaner shrimp and a couple of peppermint shrimp. Leaves all of them alone. He does go for my snails. He doesn't usually eat them though. Just likes to pick em up and throw them around a bit.

JulesVane

I just recently made a REAL BAD MOVE of adding a tiny Volitan Lionfish to my 90 gal. reef tank. This cute little creature is only 3" long and has already eaten 2 Purple Firefish (3" long) and 1 Cleaner Shrimp. Now, he is sizing up my small Pecula Clownfish. With nearly 200lbs. of Live Rock in my tank, I am finding that netting him has been impossible! What a mistake!! I would of never thought that a 3" Lion Fish would eat another 3" fish. I will NEVER add another predatory fish to my peaceful Reef System...

fellers

hmmmmm.. lucky u :) but i cant wait to see him eat my shrimp i will @#$@$% him if he eats the shrimp..

plus the friendship bond and history between me and the shrimps :))
it is much expensive and much harder to get the cleaner shrimp than the trigger here in Egypt..
If you wanted a reef safe trigger you should of gotten a male or female Blue Throat Trigger. I have a male/female pair and they are very docile and extremely smart fish. They let the cleaner shrimp clean them. The two eat voraciously and get their fill first though.
This is the male (Ranger)the female is def not as vibrant. Shes not in pic
019.jpg
[/IMG]

fellers

I just recently made a REAL BAD MOVE of adding a tiny Volitan Lionfish to my 90 gal. reef tank. This cute little creature is only 3" long and has already eaten 2 Purple Firefish (3" long) and 1 Cleaner Shrimp. Now, he is sizing up my small Pecula Clownfish. With nearly 200lbs. of Live Rock in my tank, I am finding that netting him has been impossible! What a mistake!! I would of never thought that a 3" Lion Fish would eat another 3" fish. I will NEVER add another predatory fish to my peaceful Reef System...

I'm sorry, but I am laughing my ass off right now. That lion will wipe your reef tank out! I agree, that was a bad idea, lol. Even if he didnt eat them at 3 inches he will grow and everything anyhow. If he didn't already.:sinking:

BLAKEJOHN

If the lion is hard to catch now then start feeding it a couple of live rosie minnows every day by putting the rosies in the net and the releasing them. After a week the lion should understand that the net means food and should swim right into it.

I also have a lion at about 6-7". He could easily eat a few of my fish but I keep him fed well. I also feed him at night, I believe this helps him to not look for food during the day (and leaving the fish alone). I can drop in any whole foods during the day and the lion will ignore it until lights out.