Do you use a ATO with your RSM?

• Yes

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 43.6%

• Total voters

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
with weekly water changes on my 130D, many weeks I don't even have to add top-off water and when I do it's one glass full , takes one minute a week.

Will be interesting to see the poll results... I see lots of post about ATO's.

BobBursek

With a ATO system using a RO/DI system, when it first starts up you get some TDS creap unless flushed first, and short runs is hard on the membrane.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Couldn't live without mine either!

Glenn - with so little topoff, are you sure you're not inadvertantly doing most of your topoff with SW during water changes? Before I got my ATO I always made sure that I topped off to the exact same water level, prior to a water change. If you don't you'll be gradually increasing your salinity with every water change. That happened to me a long time ago, till I figured out why my tank salinity had gotten high. Now I periodically check my DT salinity to be sure it's not creeping up.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Glenn - with so little topoff, are you sure you're not inadvertently doing most of your topoff with SW during water changes?

Terry - remember I buy mine ro/di swt from lsf, it's always at about 1.024-1.025 I do fill the tank up quite high weekly & I am sure about 12 to 16 ounces does evaporate weekly, this does raise my salinity a bit, but that what I want, as I prefer it at 1.026 - I do check it regularly

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good deal Glenn - I forgot that the LFS SW you use is on the low side. As long as you check it regularly that's great!

Sapphire

I don't use one, but since I adde the Tunze nanostream and the Deltec skimmer Ihave noticed that i need to top up more. I really should look into sorting something out!

echopiece

Terry - remember I buy mine ro/di swt from lsf, it's always at about 1.024-1.025 I do fill the tank up quite high weekly & I am sure about 12 to 16 ounces does evaporate weekly, this does raise my salinity a bit, but that what I want, as I prefer it at 1.026 - I do check it regularly
Wow, I cant believe that Glenn! I top up my tank once a day with 16-20 oz of water! I even keep my house fairly cool and have a chiller installed. I also run the additional fan on the back of the tank. Between the lights, nanostream 6025 and a ton of surface water movement I must have a large amount of evaporation.

I voted "NO" on the poll, but I am currently in the market for an ATO. Probably going to go with the tunze 3155. I will most likely need to make a special bracket or just use one bracket in the back chambers. With my chiller lines and chiller pump, it is very tight! I have yet to see a picture of a tunze 3155 setup with adjacent chiller lines? I just know the optical sensors are more accurate than the floats. Floats can have up to a 1/4" of water drop before turning on.

With a ATO system using a RO/DI system, when it first starts up you get some TDS creap unless flushed first, and short runs is hard on the membrane.
Huh, that is interesting. What does it do to the membrane? I have been doing short runs on mine for about 6 mnths now. Still 0 TDS. When I get my ATO setup, it will be alot less.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I must have a large amount of evaporation.

Gotta be that... I run my RSM stock, don't mind temp up to 82 & don't use the cooling fan & don't need a chiller. I always had to top off about 16 ounces a week to keep the "max" water level & no micro bubbles, but over the last month my tank has changes a bit, to where I can let the water level get down more, with no micro bubbles and thus, I have just been doing my weekly water changes & not having to do any top off for the last three weeks :)

Running a RSM stock does have the advantage of easy maintenance. :)

alphasierra

Hey all, interesting to hear the different responses and good thread Glenn

I don't use an ATO and have to top up every day. All fans run and a chiller is used. Lights on 8 hours a day.

Where do you all add the top up water??? Directly into the display tank or in the rear sections. I personally add it pre skimmer section (where the filter pads are)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hey all, interesting to hear the different responses and good thread Glenn

I don't use an ATO and have to top up every day. All fans run and a chiller is used. Lights on 8 hours a day.

Where do you all add the top up water??? Directly into the display tank or in the rear sections. I personally add it pre skimmer section (where the filter pads are)

Thanks alphasierra !

I have always just added it to the tank... but it makes since to add it to the back & allow the cir pump to mix it - does seem like that would be better, just never though of it :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Glenn - amazing that your tank only gets to 82 without the little cooling fan going. Is the room that cool? Are you sure your thermometer is still giving an accurate reading? I once had a digital that after a while would not read above 78. I kept turning the heater up and then got a new thermometer and found I was actually running at 84-85! Now I double check my Pinpoint often, with a lab grade glass thermometer. The Pinpoint Wireless is the most accurate digital that I've had, but I've learned not to trust any digital as the accuracy has been known to vary quite a bit, and goes downhill with age, and as the battery gets weak.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have 3 thermometers the one in the tank is a Coral Life, it always reads 79, but is 2 degrees off from the other two thermometers I use, a glass one & an expensive one we bake with (don't tell the wife I use it in the fish tank though - she be mad at me - lol )

We keep the house between 73-75, the only thing that may be a bit unique, is our air vents are at ceiling level & one is right over the tank (up 4 feet), cool air falls & this may be helping.

RSM did design the 130's to run stock without chillers... and if you don't mind 82, I think most would do that... mine does :)

alphasierra

Thanks alphasierra !

I have always just added it to the tank... but it makes since to add it to the back & allow the cir pump to mix it - does seem like that would be better, just never though of it :)

I used to add it directly to the tank but stopped around 5 months ago. Yep you are correct... much better, IMO to add it to the rear chambers. Larger tanks usually do water top-ups by adding the new water into the sump. :thumbup:

Geeezzzz... your lucky that you don't require a chiller

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I have 3 thermometers the one in the tank is a Coral Life, it always reads 79, but is 2 degrees off from the other two thermometers I use, a glass one & an expensive one we bake with (don't tell the wife I use it in the fish tank though - she be mad at me - lol )

We keep the house between 73-75, the only thing that may be a bit unique, is our air vents are at ceiling level & one is right over the tank (up 4 feet), cool air falls & this may be helping.

RSM did design the 130's to run stock without chillers... and if you don't mind 82, I think most would do that... mine does :)

Good job on the multi-thermometers! I'll bet it's that AC vent over the tank that's really helping cool your tank. As far as designing the RSM to run without a chiller - I think it's about the same as the stock 250 not needing a chiller LOL! With most folks not running their AC as low as you and I do, most 130 owners seem to need a chiller, just like the 250 owners. To be honest, my 130 ran hot when I had the hood on, even with the additional fan going, and a cool room. Enclosed hoods are not the greatest for heat exchange, with any of the nanos.

misu

I'm in the market for an ATO also, I'm adding a almost pitcher of RO water daily.

My 250 goes up to about 82 also during the day with lights on. I keep the front piece of the hood open and I have a big ceiling fan above the tank that's running all day on low. Skimmer flap door is also open, no chiller but I have an extra Koralia4 running during the day.