Do you belong to a reef/fish club?

AJ REEF

As the title says. Do you belong to a reef or fish club?
If so what do you like about it?
If not why not?

Me personally, I'm a member of a couple clubs close to me. MASM, and TRAC.
I have been part of other clubs over the years, but proximity and interest changes,and lifestyle changes put me where I am now.

What I like about clubs is I can meet and talk to people who have similar interests and work together to make events happen that can enrich everyone.

Thanks for any participation. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I belong to a "Club" but unfortunately it's a couple of hours away. I only get to a few meetings a year but it's GREAT being around like-minded people all thinking and talking similar things.

We used to have one local to me but the economy "tanked" (pun intended) and it wasn't large or strong enough to withstand the down turn and just "vanished".

Also I like being part of the Reef Club because local merchants (local to the club not Allen LOL) offers discounts that more than make up for the price of membership.
Reef Aquarium Society of Charlotte - Welcome to RASOC!

SubRosa

I belong to the Bucks County Aquarium Society. When i joined about 10 years ago it was an almost strictly fw club, but now it's got quite a sw contingent, and is even hosting a top notch sw seminar with nationally recognized speakers this June 8th at the Silver Lake Nature Center in Bristol PA. I'll post info when it's all confirmed, but I do know that Albert Thiel will be speaking. I really enjoy the club for the access to premier speakers. Although they're fw names, we recently had a seminar in which Rosario LaCorte talked about Tetras, and Frank Falcone, aka Coryologist spoke about Fancy Guppies because Ian Fuller, the guy who taught the Coryologist all he knows about Cory Cats had that subject covered! We had Jack Wattley give a talk about Discus. If you know nothing at all about fw, think about hearing Nicola Tesla tell you personally about electrical theory! That's the caliber of speaker we draw. The auctions are great, and sometimes some crazy deals are there. A few months ago i got a pair of young Clownfish bred from ORA Spotcinctus parents and raised by Todd Gardner of Atlantis Aquarium. He donated several pairs to be auctioned off when he spoke on collecting marine tropicals on Long Island NY, and I got a pair for $20. For both fish. Really! How about a nib Iwaki MD20RXLT (MD series has the premium Japanese motor)for $22? Plus the discounts Al mentioned, and a ready source of used equipment at steal prices. And once a month I get to hang out with people who are at least as crazy as I am!

AJ REEF

It looks like you both have awesome clubs! I too live about two hours from the most of the club activity. Which makes it hard to participate as much as I would like.

Meeting speakers and such is a cool perk I must admit. I was fortunate to have a good bit of time talking with Mike deGruy shortly before we lost him. :(

Some people can change the way you look at things.

ReefApprentice

I guess i belong with TBRC(Tampa bay reef club) but i never have the chance to go to a meeting.We have tony vargus around down here.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I belong to the Razorback Reef Marine Aquarium Society. We have meetings in different cities in the state at members homes and fish stores. I find seeing other member's tanks in person is a huge benefit of the club.

This month's meeting is my place this Saturday. If anyone is in Arkansas and interested in attending, let me know and I'll get you more information.

Sent from John's Tapatalk

AJ REEF

I have heard many good things about Florida reefers! Of course you have inspiration all around you!

John, sounds like a cool club. Would you share some pics of your meeting at your place when you are done?

theplantman

When in Atlanta i was a member of ARC which was quite large. I loved the meetings and frag swaps. The people were great and I made a more than a few good contacts with local LFS dealers and reefers that fragged and sold from their own tanks. They had great speakers, did annual tank tours, tank of the month and photo of the month contests with prizes sponsered by the local dealers voting was done by the members in pole format. It was alot of fun. Wish I could find a decent one close to me now, but no luck. Thankfully there is this forum to keep me from going into withdrawal.

Henryw25

When in Atlanta i was a member of ARC which was quite large. I loved the meetings and frag swaps. The people were great and I made a more than a few good contacts with local LFS dealers and reefers that fragged and sold from their own tanks. They had great speakers, did annual tank tours, tank of the month and photo of the month contests with prizes sponsered by the local dealers voting was done by the members in pole format. It was alot of fun. Wish I could find a decent one close to me now, but no luck. Thankfully there is this forum to keep me from going into withdrawal.

Small world! I am actually getting ready to get involved with ARC in Atlanta. I hope you can find one near you.