DIY Siphon Surger

Jackalope

i think its all the same. 10second dump of X amount of water or the same amount in a constant flow.... same same i think on this one.
<(==== Notice anything new?

Jackalope

ok wierd. this is the second time ive loaded a page today and it sent me to the middle of the thread lol. i was reading this from Juan

"Thank you for clearing that Al

I got a little problem with my return pump which isn't really pushing lots of water into the tank, so I was thinking that if it's able to fill in the Siphon Surge and release everything at once it could benefit the tank more, even pointing the release where the SPS. Ideas ideas and just for the fun on keep doing more on the tank"

oddly enough i never saw that post before.... im starting to think its not me its.... the Boogieman!

Jackalope

wow willie... i just scanned through the majority of your tank build... my god man! good work "2 thumbs up". thats something my dad would have forced me to do instead of glass. he's as avid woodworker and can build some seriously stout furniture. That stand of your will prolly hold a forklift on it. thats solid!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
new? You are a premium member? :LOL: Just kidding! Sweet AV there! That your lil hotrod?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Re: Juan's post about "so I was thinking that if it's able to fill in the Siphon Surge and release everything at once it could benefit the tank more, even pointing the release where the SPS" - I'd think that this would help in some areas especially since it would create some majorly random flow/turbulence in the tank. I think what would be awesome would be a pair of them alternating and then also on a "Controller" so during the day and at random intervals they would work quicker and in evening/night slow the pump down so they are slower to fill. This could be a fun project given the tools, the tank, and the time to tinker.

Jackalope

new? You are a premium member? :LOL: Just kidding! Sweet AV there! That your lil hotrod?

well if i didnt have This hobby... That hotrod (73 mach1 w/blown 351C) would be mine lol...

Edit: Calculated: Salt cheaper than Gas atm, so i'm sticking to my tank

jpsika08

Juan,you'd still need flow from other sources to force any trapped air out from under the coral

Thanks for the advice Willie :)

Juan your MP60 would be more than OK to prevent air build up. Let's see those renders!

Thanks Rob, had problems with the CAD, will fix it soon and render going up :)

no juan i think you wont want those mp60's anymore. send them my way and i'll take very good care of them! lol

LMAO!!!

:LOL: I hadn't noticed that Juan has 2 MP60s,what more do you want Juan ? crank them bad boyz up on short pulse and let the waves rock that tank...

I have them right now at 40%, and everything is flowing good, but, really considering here going up to 60%.

I only have 1 MP60,I couldn't imagine what 2 would do for a tank....or what they'd do to a tank in my case,I don't think my plywood could take that much abuse :D

i think its all the same. 10second dump of X amount of water or the same amount in a constant flow.... same same i think on this one.
<(==== Notice anything new?

Congrats on the Premium Member! Now you are eligible for the secret... hand shake LMAO! :D

ok wierd. this is the second time ive loaded a page today and it sent me to the middle of the thread lol. i was reading this from Juan

"Thank you for clearing that Al

I got a little problem with my return pump which isn't really pushing lots of water into the tank, so I was thinking that if it's able to fill in the Siphon Surge and release everything at once it could benefit the tank more, even pointing the release where the SPS. Ideas ideas and just for the fun on keep doing more on the tank"

oddly enough i never saw that post before.... im starting to think its not me its.... the Boogieman!

LOL

Re: Juan's post about "so I was thinking that if it's able to fill in the Siphon Surge and release everything at once it could benefit the tank more, even pointing the release where the SPS" - I'd think that this would help in some areas especially since it would create some majorly random flow/turbulence in the tank. I think what would be awesome would be a pair of them alternating and then also on a "Controller" so during the day and at random intervals they would work quicker and in evening/night slow the pump down so they are slower to fill. This could be a fun project given the tools, the tank, and the time to tinker.

I agree Al, the amount of added flow to the tank will create very random turbulence as the Powerheads flow hit the siphon surge flow.

well if i didnt have This hobby... That hotrod (73 mach1 w/blown 351C) would be mine lol...

Edit: Calculated: Salt cheaper than Gas atm, so i'm sticking to my tank

LOL

jpsika08

So, before going into the Siphon Surge I encountered that my return pump has a problem, It states that the watts consumed by it are over 150Watts, if you close a valve on it, this number will decrease as less flow is been delivered, well, my pumps is registering 58 watts!!!! and the only valve is fully open, it can't be headloss as I'm just 6 feet (Or a little less) from the tank delivery point.

Do I need to clean the inside?

What would be the step to follow?

Jackalope

usually any motor statings on amperage or wattage draws are under LRA (locked rotor amps) *not good* and also RLA (run/rated load amps) *usually max draw for HP rating*
sometimes motor A: down the assembly line states RLA 5 and only pulls 4.5 sometimes less. depends on work load
so with all that garbage asside. pull the head off the thing and check for blockages of any sort. less than half rated draw means theres a slight issue, but not as bad as More than rated!

jpsika08

Well, here is what I was thinking for the Siphon Surge project:

Here is the exact drawing of my tank.
First off, I was thinking of doing a Coast to Coast over top tank, dimensions would be 96" x 6" x 8" 20 gals total capacity (Full Volume).
Some of the reasons I thought about doing it like this are:
1. Weight is more dispersed as it will be on top of the main DT (It will weight around 150lbs with the amount of water it will hold before siphoning)
2. It allows me to place two Siphon Surges at each end so better distribution of water
3. It's not too intrusive so light won't be affected or tank maintenance.
4. It doesn't cross or bother with my external overflow where the Dursos that go into the sump are right now.

Here is the picture with the New Overtop tank colored in yellow:
Render01-4.jpg

As you can see, the Return line coming in from the sump (Right one) goes through the lower overflow (As it is right now) and then into the Siphon Surge Tank.
Render02-3.jpg

The Left one is the overflow from the Siphon Surge in case either of the surges gets stock, water would still be able to exit into the lower overflow, preventing a mess around
Render02B.jpg

Here is the Left and Right Dursos for Siphoning water into the tank, I'm using 1" Dursos:
Render03-2.jpg

Render04-4.jpg

And a full render of the tank with the Siphon Surge implemented:
Render05-3.jpg

What do you think?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent drawings and explanations.

My concerns are for NOISE. I'd test the plumbing design thoroughly with buckets etc before building anything on the tank. It just seems like it would be hard to keep those dual durso from gurgling and occasionally having an "Air Loc" here and there.

jpsika08

Thanks Al :)

Good thing is that the tank is within a concealed fishroom, (Out of the house) so no noise can be heard on the other side (Front viewing of the DT), still, I know what you mean about the gurgling sound, I have heard it now and then when giving maintenance to the overflow and pushing the duros to fully siphon everything, the end sound is horrible.

Air loc means losing siphon?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Air Loc is when a large air bubble gets into an elbow or turn and the force of the water isn't enough to push it all the way out. I can't remember the other term for it but as the water level rises the pressure increases and will usually over-come the "loc".

jpsika08

Thanks, what I will do is, as I have the BeanAnimal system which uses similar dursos as the ones on the Siphon Surge I will test the one with the air pipe above (the other one I will close it during testing) and see how it goes after 10 or 20 overflow fills I see if it hold, do you think it's a possible way of testing?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like a solid plan to me. I'm so excited about this project! Can't wait to see it in action :)