DIY Beckett Skimmer

Frankie

RS STAFF
24" on the 8" tube and 19" on the 5" inner tube. Keep in mind, I tilted the baffle inside and had to cut the 5" tube base on that angle so it would be level.
I will draw up a blue print tonight.

framerguy

I thought I was building mine much taller than yours. I have the 8" tube cut 48" and the 4.5" inner tube 33". Is that excessive or will it work? I will have around 700 gallons total in my system so I think a big skimmer would be better. But how big is too big to work properly?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Mine is two inches taller then the Barr i copied. It is rated for 1000+ gallons.
Are you doing the 12" tall mixing box and cup like mine? My skimmers total hight is 50". It's not how tall the skimmer is that makes it perform good. It's the contact time. Another misconception is that people seem to think if they make the bubbles twirl up it will have more contact time. This is not true.
The Barr Ultra Beckett skimmer is the most productive skimmer out there atm.

framerguy

Mine is two inches taller then the Barr i copied. It is rated for 1000+ gallons.
Are you doing the 12" tall mixing box and cup like mine? My skimmers total hight is 50". It's not how tall the skimmer is that makes it perform good. It's the contact time. Another misconception is that people seem to think if they make the bubbles twirl up it will have more contact time. This is not true.
The Barr Ultra Beckett skimmer is the most productive skimmer out there atm.
I never did find any numbers to use to build mine, I just looked at yours and others and guessed at the height. Your skimmer looks much bigger than it actually is! I haven't glued mine together yet so I can easily cut the tubes shorter. My box is 12H x 12W x 14.5L. My collection cup is 8"H, the neck is 10" total with 4"inside the cup and 6" between cup and mix tube. It seemed that the taller the mixing tube (is that the right term?)then the longer the contact time... am I thinking wrong on that? Would it hurt to have it as tall as I do...it certainly would be impressive to visitors who look at it! I don't mind cutting it though if it would work better since that is the whole point. Thanks for answering all these silly questions!

framerguy

After adding everything up I came up with 74" tall total. I think taking 10" off both tubes would be a good idea, no need to get carried away with this thing, huh?

Frankie

RS STAFF
LOL! Your gonna need a bigger pump to run that thing. I did give a hint to the scale size better then the ones i had to follow with the pack of cigarettes. When i built mine i only had a tooth of a saw blade to go from ;)

framerguy

LOL, Thanks Frankie! I decided to cut 12" off of the pipes. I still may need all of my sump pump to drive it though. I was going to use the manifold idea but I may need more water than that.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks fote03. Her are a few in action shots i never posted.
000_2569_editedSmall.jpg

000_2516_editedMedium.jpg

000_2515_editedMedium.jpg

Sibrea

Can this be built smaller? Like say for a 55g tank? If so where would I get plans or how would I desighn it? I can build it just need some plans. Thank You

coolsatman

Hi Frankie
I'm new to this site as a member but have been following you skimmer build and actually built one myself very simalar to the you build but i'm haveing a few issues
first I had ti install a drain in the lower sump. after testing there is no way to get the water out without disasembling it. second i'm not getting enough foam and i think it is my pipe size as well as my pump size pump is a turbo sea 1740 and pipe into the becketts is 3/4. what are your thoughts???? and finally when i turn on my pump it supplies more water then the skimmer can get ride of I think i solved this problem i added a second two inch drain beside the 1 1/4 with valves for control

this was an awsome project to build and i recommend it to all
I will post pics soon.

Frankie

RS STAFF
How did you end up coolsatman? PM me if you still need help. I was away for a few days and missed this..
I also put a drain in the bottom box for cleaning. That pump is not strong enough to run my skimmer. Post the pictures and stuff so I can get a better look at it. Also 3/4 feed is not enough. I have 1" spa flex feeding mine and the down drafts are 2".