Difficulty Of Setting Up A Sump/refugium

Hi,

Relatively new to marine keeping, ive just about 2 yrs experience. I bought an established RSM 130D.

The guy that owned it had a refugium set up underneath and as such when I bought the system I bought the refugium also, for the past week I didnt bother with it as the guy said its a major hassle equilibrating it but once its up and running its fine!

I never set one up before, but I have all the extra equipment, the sump/refugium with seperators, return pumps, piping, refugium light etc etc

How difficult is it to do?
Is there much of a need for a refugium with an RSM130D?
How much extra water do I need to prepare for the calibrating portion?
Was yours difficult to set up?
Have you noticed any difference since you set up yours?

Thanks in advance for any help here!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
have bump this thread...

sorry irish, wish I could help, but running stock & have never had a sump...

I know Terry has a good sump link... I will see if I can find it... unless he replies back 1st...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think I gave it to irishmarine in another thread, but if my memory is bad (not unusual!) here it is.

My sump/refugium setup

I'm now running a sump only (no refugium section), but the setups are basically the same.

Yep, got that thanks,

My question is about the actual "switching on" of the refugium pumps, I have everything ready to go but I just dont want to have a disaster with too much water coming in or out into the tank either way would be a nightmare, I just want to know about water levels or how people have actually switched on theirs and calibrated it, what is the procedure when everything is ready and all piping/tubing and pumps are all in place ready to go????

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good memory Glenn! I should have thought of that. Irishmarine - check out the animated picture on this page that demonstates how a sump and/or refugium is supplied with water via a hang on overflow box, and a return pump in a section of the sump refugium:

Melev's Sump Page

Most of the RSM owners running a sump/refugium use an overflow box (they call it a pre-filter) from Lifereef - designed for the RSM.

The Lifereef keeps the siphon full on a power-out, and when power is restored the return pump will raise the level in back and the overflow siphon restarts on its own. A small hole is made in the return pump line - just below water surface, so that when the power is off the tank will only drain till till that hole is exposed and keeps the tank from back-siphoning too much water into the sump.