Diatoms?

Hello,

My tank now has a brown algae like growth on the sand. It is making its way onto the sides of the tank as well, but very lightly there. I guess it looks kinda like a dusting of rust. I think its diatoms. Nitrates remained at 20, they never really came down. Ammonia and nitrites 0. Went out last weekend and got 2 snails and 3 scarlet hermits - they are all doing well but in my opinion they brought this problem with them. . . .(maybe I shouldn't have done that :eek:h: )

Should I vacuum the substrate or leave it alone? Any suggestions?

Thanks

DoP

Cougra

Large Diatom blooms are generally an indication of the silicate levels in a tank as well. When you see the brown layer of diatoms they are actually the dead cells after a diatom bloom. As they decay inthe tank they release the silicates back into the water so that other diatoms can use it and multiply until the supply is exhausted again and they start to die off.

Removing the dead diatoms may help but as mentioned it's a natural process the tank goes through.

I agree that they are cool to look at and I would love to have a microscope that I can take photos with!

les

Is there a way that I can prevent the diatoms? My tank (bio 29) is a little more than a month old. The temp is 78 f, Ph is around 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0. I have multiple snails, two clowns, purple fire fish, velvet wrasse and two skunk shrimp.

Sig

They should go away on there own. Mine did.
Almost all my algae phases are over with I hope. LOL
Actually got some coraline building!

But as far as preventing. I am not sure.
It seems like its a pretty normal phase of the hobby!

Sig

NP!
My feelings have always been I wish algae like Diatoms could be flourescent green then it would be no big deal LOL

you have to do waterchanges to drop your nitrates... they wont fall much themselves. sorry if someones already answered this i just skimmed everyones posts.

Didn't really help, I ended up vacuuming the substrate a bit and that got them down. The water that came out was really gross. . .

DoP

reefman420

yep its all a natural occurance.ure not doing nothing wrong keep up the good work..now my mature tank gets to be broken down and i get to set up my 155 bow,now i get to go over this all again..yay