DianaKay's RSM 250

Oxylebius

Did you ever find out what was stinging your clowns (black spots)? It looks like you moved your hammer. Did that fix the issue?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Did you ever find out what was stinging your clowns (black spots)? It looks like you moved your hammer. Did that fix the issue?
Nope, I did move the Hammer back behind my rockscape. Then I took their little clay pot out & replaced it with a clean one to see if the irritation was caused by something on that. Didn't seem to help....Black spotting still on both of them :( I've been watching them & they do brush up against the zoas & now the GSP that I put where the Hammer coral was. So, I don't know WHAT to do. How do I protect them from themselves??? :confused:

Last edited:

Oxylebius

I've been watching them & they do brush up against the zoas & now the GSP that I put where the Hammer coral was. So, I don't know WHAT to do. How do I protect them from themselves??? :confused:

You can't. Either get rid of one or the other and I know that you aren't going to do that. Just watch them and make sure they stay active, eating, and aren't developing any sores.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I know it makes me wanna :cry1: because I L:heart:VE my clowns...they were my 1st fish in this tank.
I have zoas in the refugium and run the lights in reverse of the DT lights so I don't think putting them in there would help either. I will watch them very close for any redness or sores. Do you think I should try putting an anemone in my tank for them? I really do NOT want a nem in my tank. cnfzd:
They seem happy living in their little clay pot but they have had the black spots for a long time now.

jerry26

the black spots are extremely common and typically not a sign of anything bad. one pair of clowns i had never hosted anything and they had them, another pair i had hosted everything and never had them. just google black spots on clownfish and youll have a never ending list of people who have seen it and it not cause any problems. most people say it comes from hosting soft corals others dont know why they appear. its almost normal.

Mr.Reeefer

Hi Diana,

I just read your chronicle and what a journey you have had, I am exhausted just reading through it all....lol :zzz:

The tank looks great, especially from where it started and with the little knowledge you started with....

99.9% of the people here at RS really done a great job in helping you through the process....:yup:

I think it's great when people unite to help one another!!

Thanks for the read!!

GregT

Hi Diana,

I just read your chronicle and what a journey you have had, I am exhausted just reading through it all....lol :zzz:

The tank looks great, especially from where it started and with the little knowledge you started with....

99.9% of the people here at RS really done a great job in helping you through the process....:yup:

I think it's great when people unite to help one another!!

Thanks for the read!!

+1 well said!!!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks for reading through my thread. :thumbup: I never dreamed when I started it that it would have gotten to be over 65 pages long :yup: I've tried to include lots of pictures cause that's what I like best in the treads that I read.
Well, TODAY I ordered 1,000 Amphipods/copepods to stock my refugium. I have seen at least a couple of kinds of bugs in there already so I'm thinking it is ready for growing them.
My tank will have it's 1st Tank-A-VersarY in mid-January and my plans to celebrate include getting my DREAM FISH...a Mandarin Goby. I'd like to have a pair but I think it would be better to start with only one.
I have read lots on them & Having one is very scary for me, but I really want one. :grind:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You've been very successful so far, I have no doubt that will continue with a Mandarin...or two!!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
+1 to Greg :D You're more than dedicated enough and you've been so successful so far I think you will definitely have some fat happy mandarin/s :yup: Make sure you buy a nice fat one though that hasn't been at the store for too long :) That gives you the best chances!

Lexinverts

Diana, I love that little collection of Acans that you have there at the bottom right of this photo. Did you put a couple of different frags together there? It looks like they are growing nicely together. I should do that with a couple of my smaller Acan frags.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks everyone for the Mandarin votes of confidence, they help me be a little braver :fingerx:

The Acans in the above photo is my special Acan Rock that I got from Jjmoneyman (aka My Reef To Yours)
I just told him I wanted different colors of Acans on a single rock & he sent me that....it was only a tiny baby then. It has grown a lot. I think it's a good idea to put a few frags of them together, these have done fine. :D

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Diana, I was wondering if you are dosing anything in your tank? If so, what and how much?

Nope, not dosing anything. I kinda hope I never have to figure all that out. Staying away from SPS Corals for now. I've tested my calcium a few times and it was in acceptable range. I just use IO Reef Crystals and change 10gal. every 10 days. Hope that's good enough.

ziggy

Thanks everyone for the Mandarin votes of confidence, they help me be a little braver :fingerx:

The Acans in the above photo is my special Acan Rock that I got from Jjmoneyman (aka My Reef To Yours)
I just told him I wanted different colors of Acans on a single rock & he sent me that....it was only a tiny baby then. It has grown a lot. I think it's a good idea to put a few frags of them together, these have done fine. :D

Diana

Do you plan on supplementing the mandarin feeding? If so with what kind of devise?

Also, Where did you order your 250 from? Curious

Thx

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Diana

Do you plan on supplementing the mandarin feeding? If so with what kind of devise?

Also, Where did you order your 250 from? Curious

Thx

I ordered my RSM 250 from here:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/max-250-aquarium-kit-65-gallon-black
It was cheaper than my LFS could get it for me & included delivery to my door.
If I ordered from my nearest LFS I would have had to go pick it up & deliver it myself with a 4 hour round trip.

About the mandarin...I am buying pods, I have a refugium & about another month to buy a mandarin or chicken out on getting one. :grind: That's my plan so far :yup:

orieng

I ordered my RSM 250 from here:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/max-250-aquarium-kit-65-gallon-black
It was cheaper than my LFS could get it for me & included delivery to my door.
If I ordered from my nearest LFS I would have had to go pick it up & deliver it myself with a 4 hour round trip.

About the mandarin...I am buying pods, I have a refugium & about another month to buy a mandarin or chicken out on getting one. :grind: That's my plan so far :yup:
Diana, if you want to get a mandarin .. Do it. You don't need to worry about it not having anything to eat. I have two in my RSM 250 and my tank is pure stock. no refugium or sump and the mandarin will survive on the critters in your tank that you won't see. Get those mandarin and they are one of the coolest fish that you may get.