Developing LED kits for RSM Tanks

Which kit to develop first

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dizzyg

Really looking forward to this, Im currently deciding on getting a new tank but would keep the RSM250 if a "plug and play" LED kit became available.

ReefLEDLights

RS Sponsor
good-news-everyone.jpg

We have a hood coming in so we can get things measured up and a kit produced!

It will be based on the phoenix line with all the premium components and customization. As we progress I am going to be popping in here to consult you guys

rodney1218

I will be awaiting this kit also.... It is time to swap out my bulbs on the 250 so I was looking into maybe putting that money into a LED conversion kit...

ReefLEDLights

RS Sponsor
Had a dinner meeting last night with the brain trust to start design.

Initial ideas have been passed onto the machinist, renderings are being produced as we speak.

we are going to be ordering 4 heatsinks initially for the V1 builds. We will be using 1 and then three others for the more skilled retrofitters.

Just some premature information. Consider it the ramblings of the caffeinated and sleep deprived :)

sharkbate

I have a 130d and I retro fitted with Currents truelumens led lighting and it's been 1 month and my corals are thriving! I even have the original moonlights still working and it's was pretty simple! I feel like I did a professional job and looks like factory...no wires hanging or anything like that. I even have the original fans working when lights are on and tank temps stay at 76 degrees

Choff

Has anyone done a DIY yet on the S series (400/500/650)? ReefLED, any plans for you guys to do them anytime soon after you finish the 250 or do you think you will move to the 130 next since that was all you polled above?

I'm very much interested in moving to LED not just for the appearance, but there is simply way too much heat from 10 T5 bulbs, the replacement bulb cost is high as is the electrical consumption from both the bulbs + chiller. LED's would pay for themselves in less than 2 years.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
The plug & play kit is in the market for a while.

Red Sea MAX 250 - Modular LED

I personally would not consider this plug and play. There is a good amount of work involved in installing them. That is why I have not ordered them. I am afraid that I am not electricially inclined enough, mot to mess it up. You have to glue the LED's to the heatsink, pretty much gut your hood, do the wiring.

mattreidy

It's beyond time for RSM to switch to LEDs on all new tanks and offer an upgrade kit made for the 130, 250, and other models...

Tokalosh

It's beyond time for RSM to switch to LEDs on all new tanks and offer an upgrade kit made for the 130, 250, and other models...

I disagree, as I'm still a fan of the T5's and think that LED's are still in there developing stage.

Tok

Status
Not open for further replies.