Developing LED kits for RSM Tanks

Which kit to develop first

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
WOW now you got my attention!!

I've been contemplating doing this mod for some time but I can't be bothered with all the intricacy that goes with it.
Not to mention my anger if I got it wrong.

PLUG & PLAY BABY, ALL THE WAY!!!
Amen to that brother.

Tok

ausreef

a quick technical question: dimmable LED drivers require 10v to work,this voltage is applied to the driver via a controller or potentiometer, im thinking 0v is off, 10v is 100% power,my question is at 0v are the drivers off? even though they are still connected to mains power? is this how the controllers that have a 10v lighting output work?

tnwillia

I'd be thinking about the new "S" series tanks as well. The more people see them the higher the sales will go. If I was to get a 500 or 650 the first thing I'd be doing is replacing the T5s with LEDs. Just something to think about...... Looking forward to see where this thread goes, Good luck with the project!

ChrisY

a quick technical question: dimmable LED drivers require 10v to work,this voltage is applied to the driver via a controller or potentiometer, im thinking 0v is off, 10v is 100% power,my question is at 0v are the drivers off? even though they are still connected to mains power? is this how the controllers that have a 10v lighting output work?

Some but not all appear to work that way, if the driver sees 0V then it could go into sleep mode soft of and really not draw much from the mains.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd be thinking about the new "S" series tanks as well. The more people see them the higher the sales will go. If I was to get a 500 or 650 the first thing I'd be doing is replacing the T5s with LEDs. Just something to think about...... Looking forward to see where this thread goes, Good luck with the project!

Good point Tom. I'd hope that any LED company thinking about RSM130D and 250 tanks realizes the potential market (and talk about possibly a VERY easy retro-kit to work on) the new "S" series is going to be.

lethal

Tok and Matt, i'm with you guys. A plug n play led setup for the 250 would excite me greatly.

ReefLEDLights

RS Sponsor
Woah, for some reason didn't get notification of replies. Hokay, Time to respond and answer questions.

Looks awesome! Please
Inform me when this becomes available.... Also how intense is the lighting? Can I keep anything in there?

The intensity and capacity of the lighting is based on what you select for options. It's all DIY so you get to choose how powerful and what color balance

Some but not all appear to work that way, if the driver sees 0V then it could go into sleep mode soft of and really not draw much from the mains.

On some drivers. Other drivers have minimum level that they run at. Example would be the Inventronics drivers that run at a 20% minimum @ 0v.

I've been contemplating doing this mod for some time but I can't be bothered with all the intricacy that goes with it.
Not to mention my anger if I got it wrong.

PLUG & PLAY BABY, ALL THE WAY!!!

Tok

It will still require some skill to put together. People have to be able to tell the difference between + and - and strip wires :)

The fixtures will be based on our solderless systems.
Solderless and You « « ReefLEDLights |

Example Build
[video=youtube;SYZlihz0Vm8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYZlihz0Vm8[/video]

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great Vid, after seeing it, I thought, if she can do it without messing up her French nails, I think I (Mr. Not DIY) could do it too :dance: Cheers !

oceanreefs

:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::cool:Hi, I have a question I have a RSM-650 that I got last month and am not happy with the lighting at all, the T -5 just doesn't look good. So I believe I'm going to convert to LEDs I've looked into it because my last tank had LEDs on it and it made a big difference. The light hood that's on the tank now looks like one big giant heatsink so I don't know if you need to put another one inside of it inside the hood. ThoseT-5 get very hot and the heatsink that's built on the tank I believe can serve to accommodate the LEDs. I just have to figure out how to wire everything up, there is a micro switch on the side of the light that when you lift the lights up it goes off so it doesn't blind you
in the face that's one thing I have to figure out how to wire that I decided to put on the 3 separate lights. let me clarify that. the hood is made up of 3 separate pieces the front the middle in the back the front section has 4 T-5 mounted the middle has 2 in the rear has 4 that's a total of 10 T-5 that's a lot of heat so I believe the LED will be a big advantage. I'm going to put 3 rows of 14 in the front section and see how that works then advance to the back with the same thing I'm probably going to be using Cree 3 watts each I'm going to split the lighting between whites and royal blue I think it will look okay.When I'm finished I should have 98 LEDs totaling almost 300 Watts of light if the SPS doesn't like that to bad. any suggestions I would love to hear from you, I start probably Monday. Let me know what you think guys. Phil:cool:

reeferman

i would bump up the number of leds slightly.they recommended 108 3w cree for my 120g sps dominant reef.its the perfect amount of light for my reef so i would imagine you would need a few more.you can go to the website and it has a recommendation layout.reefledlights.com

byronredsea

:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::cool:Hi, I have a question I have a RSM-650 that I got last month and am not happy with the lighting at all, the T -5 just doesn't look good. So I believe I'm going to convert to LEDs I've looked into it because my last tank had LEDs on it and it made a big difference. The light hood that's on the tank now looks like one big giant heatsink so I don't know if you need to put another one inside of it inside the hood. ThoseT-5 get very hot and the heatsink that's built on the tank I believe can serve to accommodate the LEDs. I just have to figure out how to wire everything up, there is a micro switch on the side of the light that when you lift the lights up it goes off so it doesn't blind you
in the face that's one thing I have to figure out how to wire that I decided to put on the 3 separate lights. let me clarify that. the hood is made up of 3 separate pieces the front the middle in the back the front section has 4 T-5 mounted the middle has 2 in the rear has 4 that's a total of 10 T-5 that's a lot of heat so I believe the LED will be a big advantage. I'm going to put 3 rows of 14 in the front section and see how that works then advance to the back with the same thing I'm probably going to be using Cree 3 watts each I'm going to split the lighting between whites and royal blue I think it will look okay.When I'm finished I should have 98 LEDs totaling almost 300 Watts of light if the SPS doesn't like that to bad. any suggestions I would love to hear from you, I start probably Monday. Let me know what you think guys. Phil:cool:
I would wait if i was you i bet any money LED kit will be the first mod that Red Sea organize

lethal

I'm not to sure on that. They never developed one for the 250 and that's been out for years.

ReefLEDLights

RS Sponsor
Any updates? Really interested in 250

Nothing yet. I got an email from a member that I have to write back to and hash out the details. He would be working with us on the 250 hood so it looks like that one will be the first.

RSM would be taking a large risk in trying to pursue making their own LED kits considering not everyone will be able to afford that option and the liability of failure rates in addition to that. I am not holding my breathe on them producing one and thats why I am taking the time to help you guys out with designing one.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I would wait if i was you i bet any money LED kit will be the first mod that Red Sea organize

I wouldn't bet my bottom $ on that one. If I were betting I'd say they are waiting on someone else to develop that and bring it to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.