DET 130D Startup

DET

Ok, I hate you guys. Was pretty nervous about taking the plunge to start my first reef tank, and probably would not have done it if I hadn't found this forum and the friendly, helpful advice that is given on here. Hope you all are in the mood to help another RSM get going.

Ordered a 130D the other day, awaiting delivery. Went ahead with InTank media basket/Tunze 9002 , Pukani dry rock from BRS. A couple of other things, don't know what the heck they do.

The only fish that I have kept before have been in a freezer and they turned out delicious so hopefully I can do this.

When I can post pics, I'll put one up of my bank account dwindling.

Nice to meet you all,
DET

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
025.gif

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Congrats on the new RSM 130D

DET

Thanks. Didn't take long for my clandestine saltwater operation to be exposed when the rock supplier called and my wife answered and told them "We don't want any rocks, what are you talking about?" Oh, well. She was bound to notice the tank sooner or later.

Starting to think about rockscape. Any advice on what epoxy works best? Is that something you get at any LFS store or is there something special for saltwater at the big box stores. Not sure if I need it yet, just doing research as I wait for stuff to arrive.

Same question for nylon rods

Thanks
DET

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here some great stuff... E-Marco-400 10Lb Kit

But if the stack well & somewhat inter lock you can do without it - it also allows you to rearrange your rocks. But if you are trying for come creative shapes, it may work well.

DET

Anyone that has gotten Pukani rock from BRS for a new tank start up: Did you do anything with the rock prior to starting your tank. Been reading some, maybe too much, about phosphates etc. I have my own idea on what I am going to do, but interested in any other ideas you guys may have.

Oh yeah, updated my location. yes from Cleveland, jokes are welcomed, but Lebron is off limits. Too soon....

DET

Received my pukani rocks (way too much BTW) and am working on my rockscape while awaiting my RSM 130D to arrive. Looking at the rocks, they are pretty dirty, which raises a question for you guys:

Prior to placing them in my new tank, should I:
1) cook them in muriatic acid
2) soak them in a little vinegar and water
3) rinse/brush them off in water (not sure this would remove much)
4) plop them in and go and maybe kick start the cycle with the junk on them

Thanks,
DET

Acanman

BRS pretty on point. Rock is prolly already cured. Maybe 10 minute dunk in some iodine soln. For rockscape ive learned less is more. Try to stick to the 1:1 ratio. So 30 lbs should be good. I try to create as many gaps, bridges, caves as i can. Its visually appealing. You want water to be able to circulate as much as posdible thru your scape. NO dead ends. Thats where detritus ie poop and uneaten food will accumulate; rendering your water toxic to fish n coral. Good luck. Post pics plz

Ripperj

Listen to Acanman re less is more. I bought 40+ pounds for my 130D(per FLS) and ended taking some out after a couple weeks and it was still too much. You need to have lots of places for fish to hide, but also need places for coral frags. My rockwork is pretty high which puts things real close to the surface and also makes water changes an issue(have to do small changes to keep everything wet)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
How many posts do I need until I can post a pic or two?

5 - 1st few pics may go to the mod queue for approval, but will show up as soon as a mod validates them...

I would... 4) plop them in and go and maybe kick start the cycle with the junk on them

maybe a rinse with ro/di

DET

Thanks for the replies.

RSM 130D arrived yesterday, set it up, filled with freshwater today. Everything works, no leaks, let the kids watch it for a while then emptied it out. I think the wife actually likes it too. Hood lighting fans are a little louder than I thought they would be, but the tank placement sort of negates the noise.

Took the styrofoam packing that came with RSM, cut it to the interior tank dimensions, and used it to plan out my rockscape. Got a little chisel happy with the pukani, but eventually was satisfied with the design and I think there should be good flow around the rock. Soaking the rock for a bit in distilled water to get some of the bigger junk off of them (not really working BTW, but I feel better doing it). RODI unit comes on monday. For some reason I thought my package came with a starter kit (substrate, salt, etc) but apparently not. Oh well, no rush as I still need to make the water. Will be getting some Caribsea substrate once the water starts flowing.

Any advice for salt mix? Does it mater (opens the door for some spirited replies...)?

DET

RODI water all set to go. Salt and substrate arriving today. Dry rocks ready. Me ready. Kids ready. Wife.. well anyways tank build tonight.

Plan:
1)substrate, rocks, water in tank
2)mix salt in tank
3) run pumps and thermometer and let is stabilize overnight
4) throw in shrimp and cycle

I am debating what sort of tank parameters should I run during the initial cycle, such as just the RSM carbon and black RSM sponge. Anyone suggest the RSM biomedia ball thingies? Have InTank media basket but wasn't going to put anything in there until later in the cycle. I haven't hooked up the Tunze 9002 yet either, figured that probably isn't need at this stage.

Lights off for a while?

Thanks, I know I have read some answers to these questions before on here, just not finding them today.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sounds to me like you have a good plan ^

You won't need the bio-rings , and I ran my lights just a few hours a day to enjoy rock watching & increased them each week - you can go lights out if you want, but rock watching is fun

I added ro/di & then salt & mixed (ran pumps & heater), then I added my rinsed sand, them my rocks & wiggled them down into the sand... but there more than one way to do it :dance:

Will you be adding any LR?

DET

No LR, just the dry pukani which I think has a lot of stuff on it to jump start the cycle. Shrimp for good measure and to give the spouse the full olfactory experience.

Glenn, I thought I read that you ran the carbon media during your cycle to help with the smell. I'm also going the the black filter/blue bonded to help clear the tank.

I added ro/di & then salt & mixed (ran pumps & heater), then I added my rinsed sand, them my rocks & wiggled them down into the sand... but there more than one way to do it ?

Water first then the sand/rock? Sounds like wet elbows and floor... I assume it was live rock maybe.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I did run the RSM stock carbon... just to use it up, then once cycled switched to CPE & Purigen

You do have to allow for the displacement - but no wet floors here :dance: I would do whatever you think is best :)

Don't you want to pick up a small amount of LR to get source for like coralline algae?