Deltec MC 500 in RSM

jackpe

Hi Guys,

Would have liked to get hold of the Euroreef skimmer for my RSM but including import costs it would seem it will cost me around £250. So I have been looking at possiblealternatives. The Tunze 9002 is not enough of an improvement so have looked at the MC 500, I ahve read posts by another person who said that it can be used in the RSM. Apparently the two tabs that the current skimmer sits on have to be taken out, presumably they are just siliconed and can be slowly cut out.
BUT has anyone got any experience of using one?

-does it work convincingly better than the RSM one?
-Does it suffer from microbubbles?

Basically if there is going to be a compromise I would rather just use the Euroreef that I know works properly but if it works well I would prefer the MC, I can get one new here in the UK for £180..

agad

Hello jackpe,

I own an RSM 130, and after much debate I purchased the MC500. I have found it to be of high quality and a good performing skimmer which is easy to adjust and tune to my liking - much much better than my stock skimmer! I have not had any problems with microbubbles provided that I leave the supplied blue foam section in the skimmer - mind you I have not taken it out to try since originally fitted so it may no longer be an issue (I can check if you like).
There is however, a couple of issues with the fitment to the RSM [as you mentioned (not sure about the 130D or the 250)]. First of all the cavity in the back has slightly smaller dimensions (forward to aft) for the skimmer to fit, and as a result I've had to remove the two strips of glass that are used as the guides for the original skimmer, and yes they are siliconed on. This was done (very gingerly) with thin gauge stainless wire and also a surgical blade. I also found that I needed to raise the skimmer as it would otherwise sit below the water column. I did this by making a lexan box to fit beneath the skimmer. If you have any further questions then don't hesitate to ask.

As a side note, may I just say that I am extremely impressed with reefmacks dedication and commitment to this and the previous forum. Without you we would not have this wonderful resource! Good onya Reefmack!!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
agad - welcomera to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members, that are very knowledgeable & always willing to help & the RSM owners forum !!!
745.gif

agad

Thanks nanoreefing4fun, I must admit I have been a bit of a lurker for quite some time!!

Also I forgot to mention that since the skimmer needs to be raised, the rear "flap" has to be removed to allow for fitment. This does take away from the clean lines but I am working on a solution for that.:apimp:

agad

it's going to be a while... have to wait for my t5 retrofit kit to arrive (end of the weekish) and then I will have to fabricate the replacement hood. Will do my best though.

Sapphire

I have had a Deltec MC 500 in for a few months now I suppose and I think it's great - it is a big improvement onthe stock skimmer, which I ran for 18 months! I have a heavy bioload too.

Very queit, pulls out loads of stuff and no microbubbles (after the first 24 hours). It's also really easy to adjust.

jackpe

Thanks guys, so it looks like it's worth going for the MC 500 then?

As I said it will be quite a bit cheaper for me here in the Uk to get than the Euroreef and as long as it works significantly better then i'm sold.

Just one thing, just how hard is it to remove the glass slides with water in the tank? I don't have any steel wire so would have to try to use razor blades or pehaps buy some steel scraper specifically for the job... how long did it take you?

agad

Well to be honest the first piece was tough! Took about half an hour to take out... in pieces! The second one was much easier and came out in one piece after refining my technique. I found a plastic wedge to tension the glass and cut away at the silicone with my scalpel a little at a time readjusting the wedge as required. The wire did work but I kept chipping the glass. Another thing you might want to try is the wedge and a sharp filleting knife (wish I thought of that earlier)! I guess the key is not to over tension the glass, and be patient and take your time - it takes longer if you have to fish out all the shards of broken glass! Let us know how you go.

agad

And yes, I would happily recommend the Deltec - keep in mind that the only other skimmer i have owned is the crappy original. But to give you an idea I cleaned the cup a bit less than a day ago and it has collected more skimmate in that time than my read sea skimmer did in over a week.

jackpe

Hello jackpe,
I also found that I needed to raise the skimmer as it would otherwise sit below the water column. I did this by making a lexan box to fit beneath the skimmer. If you have any further questions then don't hesitate to ask.

QUOTE]

Could i ask what height was the lexan box you needed to fit?, presumably it is hollow so water can pass through under the skimmer? I'm not sure I'll have the facility to make said box so am looking at what else i can use as spacers...

Sapphire

you can jst use a piece of pvc pipe to sit it on. The hieght's 80ml off the bottom (I think - so don't quote me on that!)

getting the glass shims out is the hardest part and takes the longest. can pm you the instructins I recieved - I have posted them somewhere to, so if you can't find them let me know (they were written by another NZ reefer)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
agad - welcome and thanks for the kind words! The real thanks for the success here at Reef Sanctuary, and in the previous RSM Club location, belong to all those that participate! Good to see you stop lurking! :)

agad

I just took a measurement of the ''spacer'' after a bit of a skimmer overhaul - 77mm or for our old fashioned American counterparts 3.03" :eek:lsmile:. This then has the body of the skimmer flush with the back rim of the max, and the water level in the skimmer is near/on the max line. Also I do not have a hollow through the lexan - my reasoning at the time was that I wanted all the water to channel through the skimmer. Not sure if this has merit, perhaps the more advanced aquarists can give us some feedback.
Sapphire made a good point about using pvc piping, just cut to the right height, much quicker and easier! The reason I built mine out of lexan was so that I could put media (seachem matrix) directly in front of the inlet of the skimmer thereby forcing the water to flow through the media. Once again not sure if this is the best way to go about it - others please comment.

agad

You are very welcome Reefmack, you do have a point but I think (and I am sure many others will agree) that you where instrumental in the RSM forum/s. I always see you give people positive comments, just look at the number of posts! Not just posting for the sake of it but providing constructive info to junior members. I am very impressed!!
As far as the lurking goes, yeah you are right probably should have contributed earlier, but this has been the first instance that I thought I could actually help.

agad

Sorry mate I made a mistake the actual measurement was 155mm or 6.1" high. Not sure what I was doing before!!