deep sea divers RSM 250 thread

Hey guys. Just a quick update. Tunze osmolator installed today, and as all my levels were good i have included 2 mythrax crabs, 6 turbo snails, and 6 hermit crabs (2 of which are red leg) ill add 2 shrimp and some blue leg hermits and 2 small collector urchins next week :)

pocketreef

Consider feeding your CUC because you added them too quickly, they have nothing to eat :-( Mitrax needs loads of algae.
Take it easy, we know it is hard. Shrimp need a more stable tank otherwise they molt like crazy and you need to feed them too. Feeding now will delay your cycle completion.

hmm, maybe it was added too soon but ammonia nitrate and nitrite was zero. Ph ok and kh good too. LFS said the tank was cycled and ready to go due to the rock been cured already... maybe i should have waited. Not sure about the needing to supplement food as their has been significant algae bloom and growth in the tank over last few days... so you think the algae wafers are essental? how long you think i should wait before putting in anything eltse pocketreef?

Just purchased my vortech mp10es cant wait for it to arrive - i notice alot of people have it on the left, but some people the right of the tank, what are the pro's and cons for either - looking at the flow im thinking the right maybe..

thanks

John

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats - Love mine ! The right pump is the smaller pump, so I have mine on the right... but coral placement plays a big part, these new pumps can really blow hard

Thanks glen. Can't wait for it to arrive in the post today so I can have a play. Already decided I'll get a second one next month when I can afford another one. Just wish to get the tank as well kitted as possible within my budget as I'm sure this will help create a more stable environment for the corals and fish when i get them.

well guys, ive now gone for a mp40w instead, what a fantastic bit of kit. Ill save up and buy a second one next month... just got to convince the missus its more important than house renovation. Pump installed right hand side about 4 inches from surface in front of rocks (not directly) running reefcrest mode.. sweet :) IM JUST LOVING MARINE AQUARIA

Hey guys quick update.

added another 6 turbo snails to the mix (12 total) my hermit crabs (6) emerald crabs (2)
and also 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 blood shrimp today which seemed perfectly happy and already have their own favourite hide aways

2 piece of coral today too, they look like some sort of mushroom corals

90749ba2.jpg

5f80f7db.jpg

dd8d5b89.jpg

8ea91f5a.jpg

I think everything is going on the right track, also the mp40W is a fantastic bit of kit, very powerful and well engineered

quick update guys, not much apart from my parameters have changed a little

Ph 8.2
Kh 7 (put some buffer into the tank)
Ammonia 0.2 (worrying)
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate <1mg

a light feed on the tank today with a couple of fish flakes to make sure she shrimps dont starve... off go all the pumps then out comes this hairy looking worm from a rock, I couldnt get a photo of it due to glass angle but i hope its not too bad. What do people think to my tank params?

thanks

John

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
with livestock in a new tank... if I see ammonia... I would be doing water changes

a guess without a pic... a common britleworm - good member of the cuc can get back in the rocks & get debris

COM_bristleworm.gif

thanks Glen water change at 10% and ammonia is gone. This sort of worm looks very similar.. Not seen him since

new additions.. some strange orbs or alien egg sacks that have appeared.. any ideas?

9e66a8c0.jpg

e7179b56.jpg

on a fresh note here is one of my new hermits

69eedd16.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Pretty hermit ! Hard to tell about the pic id... I looked at it a long time in the hitch hiker forum I was 1st thinking some type of snail eggs, but could be a harmless sponge filter feeder... had to see the detail

thanks for the advice again glen, your a great serving member of reef sanctuary. Im going to hold off on the photos now until I have alot more updates ready. Im desperate to get some clowns but im going to hold off another couple of weeks in order to let the tank settle down. Just cant help it as every time i go to the lfs i have to pick something up (limited to CUC at the moment)

John

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks you very much ! and cheers mate - slow is really good when starting up ! Love clownfish & I know how hard it is to walk into a lfs & not come out with something :)

hey guys, a quick update - just purchased 2 new corals some zoanthids with another mushroom attached and some candy cane trumpet coral.. pics attached (also 2 maroon clowns) but theyre camera shy.

69475a73.jpg

890b874d.jpg