deep sea divers RSM 250 thread

Hey everyone, after much deliberation I have just ordered my RSM 250 "black". Just got to wait for the weekend for it to get delivered. unfortunatly due to funds i have to wait a further week to buy live rock etc. had the option of picking up the water and sand with tank but im assuming its better to get it all in one hit the following week?

any set up tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Lots of photos to follow

John

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
When starting up and cycling ... here one of the best tips you can get
1218.gif
Go Slow... :)

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...glenns-if-interested-thread-6.html#post913627

Just a quick one guys. I'm lOoking to get around 30kg of live rock does this sound about right also am I correct in thinking don't use the carbon provided and run chamber empty? I'm a bit confused on that part. Can I get away with just a six inch gap between tank and back wall [install of ato and chiller at later date . Thanks guys

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Most run about 1 to 1 & 1/2 pounds of LR per gallon - in my RSM 250 I went with one pound per gallon, so this sound right to me :dance:

30 kilograms = 66.1386787 pounds

You do (imo) want to run carbon, I ran the stock carbon while cycling & then I switched to a carbon & gfo mix (ChemiPure Elite) they are several brands - but I would suggest running carbon.

All set up. The instructions were not the best to be honest but we finally got there. Cabinet solid however couple of locking nuts didnt fully lock and the back their is a 1 ml gap on top lip but its solid enougjjCouple small scratches there and crack on hood "small" but red sea will sort it :) just getting the live rock now... 30kg and just a fine sand bed. How do I wash the sand in the best way?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I just dumped mine in a 5 gallon bucket, added rodi water swirled it around a bit & poured it off... twice

Congrats on getting the tank up ! If you over tightened the locking nuts a bit could have stripped / cracked , I did this once, Red Sea sent me two more for free & I replaced them a week later

Well guys, "astbury reef" is up and running, been one about 1 hour all pumps working, levels are optimal (no idea about how the skimmer works etc... seems very fiddly doesnt seem to be doing anything at all) also i notice you need to be quite tall to reach the flaps etc, thought 5,11 would be enough to be honest... obv not.

How do you attach pics from iphone?

2e49cbaf.jpg

4e5680c6.jpg

f16a42d4.jpg

sorry for the poor quality of pics guys, but it was taken on my iphone just after i had set up my tank. Its been currently running for about 2 hours.

Thanks glen for the helpful links :)

anyone know why i have 2 airhoses in my skimmer, one coming from the bottom pump to the top.. i know about this one and understand it, but i have a second one going from the little chamber where the adjusting screw is going to no where.. hmmm

just put a bit of all in one in. going to leave the tank to run its course for a couple of weeks then see what happens

any reccomendations on aquascaping? i know my rock is a little to close to side on left hand side :-(

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome great start !

Very nice rock, looks real porous !
anyone know why i have 2 airhoses in my skimmer, one coming from the bottom pump to the top.. i know about this one and understand it, but i have a second one going from the little chamber where the adjusting screw is going to no where.. hmmm

There a little hole out the back it goes in... this is a built in silencer :dance:

Thanks mate, the rock does look nice.. just unsure weather or not i should try to re-aquascape or leave it as is. 30kg is currently in their but i think another 5-6kg for the top would make it look a little more substantial as currently it doesnt look alot in there. any suggestions. Just had a look at the skimmer the silencer make sense. The manual doesnt tally up with the actual tank as certain things had slightly changed, but over all its set correctly.

loving the new tank, even when the whole of downstairs is switched off for bed time it practically illuminates most of garden and bottom floor lol

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
just unsure weather or not i should try to re-aquascape or leave it as is

Most of us changed it up a few times while cycling, adding a bit more for height could be good, has some corals like to be closer to the light - caves & passageways are look good !

Done some aquascaping today, pics up this evening, found a nice piece of coal included in my live rock.. all good. will upload pics in a bit :)

here is my new aqua scape guys

4328edb7.jpg

also this coral was pure blue when i put it in yesterday (was found on a piece of live rock) today it has all these brown lumps on it... any ideas guys?

a6ca0d48.jpg