Dave's new RSM 250

dburkart

Hi everyone, I have been lurking for the past 10 months and have finally taken the plunge and purchased a RSM 250. I was able to find one that had been purchased and never setup it has the Sicce pumps and I think I have it setup correctly after much looking through threads. I wasn't sure how all the pumps, skimmer and filter media were installed as they were all in a box.

Have ordered a new JBJ controller and heater, refractometer from BRS. Will pick up salt and sand tomorrow and start the cycle. I look forward to putting everything together. I am hoping for a nice reef tank, I have seen so many spectacular ones here.

I am sure I will have lots of questions, thank god for RS and the RSM Forum.

Dave

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
wel21_e0.gif

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Thanks for starting a tank thread, look forward to watching your new beautiful RSM 250 progress !

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to the RS and the RSM Club. Have lots of fun setting it up and ask any questions.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Um nobody else wanting pics?

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Love pics ! ^ most that start a "tank thread" (Dave's new RSM 250) in the RSM Club, add lots of them :dance: so I just figured they would follow soon :)

dburkart

Just added 60 lbs. live sand and salt and now I am waiting for it all to clear a bit. Will add rock later this week. Will add some pics tomorrow.

Dave

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Congrats on your purchase, you're going to love it. Just remember to take it slow :).

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You're next purchase might want to be a refractometer and ditch that hydrometer hanging on the tank. Those swing arm measurements aren't very accurate, imo. ANd if you're not super diligent about cleaning it, the swing arm starts to stick. Looking forward to watching the progression.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Good call on the refractometer, you can pick up one for about $50.00 online. They are well worth the investment.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great start ! Your water will clear over the next couple days & rinsing the fine filter at the sink a few times a day will really help :)

dburkart

Thanks for the hydrometer suggestion, I have a refractometer and new heater on order from BRS as well as stone from Marcos' Rock. Hope to do the rockscaping this weekend. Will post pics as it progresses.

I am cleaning the fine filter and have both filters and skimmer running, skimmer is getting some nice skim. Added the Red Sea cycle starting liquid.
PH 8.4 Ammonia .25

tnwillia

Are you using the Red Sea test kits? They have a bad habit of never going below .25. You can find an API Master Reef or Saltwater kit at PetSmart it's not high cost and can give you a second opinion on your tests. Have fun!

dburkart

The salinity is 1.025, Ph is 8.6 a wee bit high, ammonia is going up. I installed a True Temp titanium heater and set it at 80.0 but the tank temp is running 84.4. I hope I don't need a chiller already as the house temp 63 degrees. The Marco Rock should be arriving today, so I can start the rockscape. It should be a fun winter stocking the tank.