datahoe New Red Sea Max 650

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Went through all of the colors of algae scares myself (still having one!)....We are promised (by beautiful mature tank pictures posted here) that the "new tank syndrome" will end & it's worth the wait. There were times that I couldn't make myself take a picture of my tank because it looked horrible! I think thats a pretty fluorescent green :) ...mine was mostly long thick hair & not that color. Pretty sure that it's all just stages of progress & nothing to fret about.
The pros will come along shortly & advise, that's what I love about hanging out here at RS. :hug1:

datahoe

Another picture of the other algae that is growing on the glass

IMG_0315_zps5a5f3192.jpg

datahoe

Here are a couple more of the entire tank. I actually do love the green color now :) Just hope its nothing that will be a monster later!

IMG_0319_zpsde668a9d.jpg

IMG_0318_zpsb21cb6b5.jpg

IMG_0317_zpsd03952f0.jpg

datahoe

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Yes I love RS! Everyone, even those who are new like me, have been so helpful. I will TRY not to stress so much :chair: and sit back and enjoy the ride!

Nob35

I'm not 100% sure but I think the green is just a type of algae and it will keep growing until it starts to starve when the nitrates and phosphates drop. It is to early to start worrying about things of this sort as each bloom is a step in the right direction. In 6 months if you are still fighting large algae blooms then it will be time to start looking for a reason and try to fix it.

When I first set up my tank I used another tank to seed it and also cured most of the rock in the garage, everything was going great until I went out of town for a week and put a auto feeder on, when I came back it was to a jungle as everything was covered by 2" hair algae, I guess the auto feeder over fed. After about 2 weeks I managed to start winning the tank back and have not had a bloom since then.

datahoe

Thanks Nob....that's what i am hoping. I will just stay patient and continue with the water changes and checking of the parameters.

That must have been frustrating to come back to that! Oh and thanks for the idea on the filter socks. It cleared my water up even more once I started using them. Will order a few more now that I know they work well

I'm not 100% sure but I think the green is just a type of algae and it will keep growing until it starts to starve when the nitrates and phosphates drop. It is to early to start worrying about things of this sort as each bloom is a step in the right direction. In 6 months if you are still fighting large algae blooms then it will be time to start looking for a reason and try to fix it.

When I first set up my tank I used another tank to seed it and also cured most of the rock in the garage, everything was going great until I went out of town for a week and put a auto feeder on, when I came back it was to a jungle as everything was covered by 2" hair algae, I guess the auto feeder over fed. After about 2 weeks I managed to start winning the tank back and have not had a bloom since then.

datahoe

Thanks all for the comments. One thing I failed to post were my water parameters. Here is what I have so far:

Ammonia- .25 (not sure why this is though)
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 40ppm
Calcium- 460
kh- 8.7
phosphate- .04
Mg- 1560
S.G.- 1.025
ph- 8.06

modulok

If those are Pukani from BRS then they could be decaying whatever WAS living on them. I had my BRS rock in a tub for about 6 weeks, I was getting Am and Phos readings.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Nice pics and updates, I'm a couple of weeks behind you as I only fitted mine this weekend and its still filling with water :)

It will be interesting to see how our tanks take different paths over the next few months.

Alan

datahoe

So I am adding two Nextreef MR1 reactors, one for carbon and one for GFO. Any comments or recommendations on how to set these two up? I'm hoping this will help with the algae control was well as clear up the water a little more. While the water is clear I still dont get that crystal clear water. Nitrates are slowly coming down (20ppm) and while conducting my water change this weekend I found several micro bristle starfish in my cheato! shocked me at first until I did some research (thank you for the internet!) and found out what they actually were. I will try and get a few pictures to post....hope my Iphone can capture them. I'm also upping my cleanup crew as i dont believe I have a good amount. Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions so far. While I am getting impatient, i know I will win the race in the long run if i keep my slow pace :biker:happywalk

datahoe

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!

Well its been a while since my last update but wanted to post some of my latest pictures. I had a terrible bout with ich which wiped out my previous occupants. This time I learned and QUARANTINED for 6 weeks prior to moving them to the display tank. So far all of the fish are doing well. My current fish stock is:

Naso Tang
two Ocellaris Clownfish (one black and white and one orange and white)
Foxface
Starry Blenny

Here is another

Here is one of my Rose Bubble Tip Anemone.....its small but doing very well so far

Front picture

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks for the late but great UPDATE....GORGEOUS! Your rock scape makes me want a 650 :D but your WC amount makes me OK with just my 250 ;) oh but having that much room to play with would be dreamy :drool:

datahoe

Yes I'm using the Red Sea Spec T5s. So far I'm pretty happy with the lights....until imget the electrical bill lol.