datahoe New Red Sea Max 650

datahoe

Hello All,

I'm new to this so please be easy with me. So I received my 650 a couple weeks ago and was finally able to get it put together. I want to first give a big thanks to Scott from Red Sea and Fish Tanks Direct for helping get my tank. Scott has been the best and I wouldn't be here writing if it wasn't for him. Now a little on my equipment (just the basics right now):

650 in white
Apex Controller w/ 2 EB8s(over kill maybe)
Netgear WNCE2001 gaming adapter to run Apex wirelessly
Milwaukee MA887 refractometer
110 lbs Red Sea Coral Pro Salt (Thanks to Scott from Red Sea!)
100lbs Marco Rocks Key Largo
25lbs live rock from LFS to seed marco rocks
120 lbs CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand
Spectrapure RO/DI filter
Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit (Again Thanks to Scott)
Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test Kit(Yes Scott!)
Red Sea Algae Control Pro Kit (Yep...Scott again)
Ecotech MP40

Everything else is stock right now on the 650. So before the tank arrived I had to reinforce the floor joists so the floor would sustain the amount of weight of this BEAST of an aquarium. I sistered the floor joist and then for added security put two building columns up to distribute the weigh of the aquarium to the floor(I also used two 27 inch 4x6 to span two joists). I will post a pic when I can.

My tank has been running at 81 degrees during the day and the house has been set at 70 so I am SURE I will need a chiller. Looking to for something QUIET and cost effective (if there is a such thing in this hobby). Not sure how to post pics just yet. but will figure it out soon. This community has helped me a lot so far and I hope to continue to learn from each and every one of you.

Will post more information soon. Any recommendations on a chiller? Has anyone else had problems maintaining the 8 inches in the sump according to the red sea instructions? the ATO is working as i can see the drip.

Jbj 1/3 hp on ours. Runs great with the apex. I have it set with the apex to kick on at 79.1 and kick off at 78.9. Comes on a couple times an our for a few minutes with the house at 65-70 degrees. Our tank pretty much stays level where I have it marked. Not sure if its at 8 or not but it stays pretty level. Nothing will stay right for the first few months because you keep making changes that affect the water level.

Matt

datahoe

Thanks Matt! I had the 1/4 in my basket about to purchase. Was trying to figure if I should go with the 1/3 or 1/4. Glad to hear it runs great with the Apex. I guess as long as the water is level I should be good. Its not over the 8 inches but under, which I assume is good in case for some reason (knock on wood) pumps stop and water needed to flow into sump

Steve

Jbj 1/3 hp on ours. Runs great with the apex. I have it set with the apex to kick on at 79.1 and kick off at 78.9. Comes on a couple times an our for a few minutes with the house at 65-70 degrees. Our tank pretty much stays level where I have it marked. Not sure if its at 8 or not but it stays pretty level. Nothing will stay right for the first few months because you keep making changes that affect the water level.

Matt

I'd go with the 1/3 for sure. It's not much more. You should always buy a little bigger than what is recommended.

Better off a little low than way high on water level fr sure.

Choff

I have a jbj 1/3 and highly recommend it. I like the dimensions better too for our cabinet. :) you will need a pump for that chiller on the 650. I'd looking in the 800-1200gph range. You can run any future reactors from it as well.

Gratz on the tank and like all the steps you have taken. You have done your research. Oh... 2 eb8s is not overkill. You'll use all those slots.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Congrats on the new beautiful RSM 650 !

Nob35

Welcome and congrats on the tank. They are great wether you keep them stock or change them up some. I have the JBJ 1/3 also and it works great and is not to loud and it is true that you will need another pump for it. I use a 1200gph pump to run my UV sterilizer and chiller. I also have the apex and 2-EB8's and I agree it is not overkill as I'm still using 5 outlets from the 650 and the 16 from the apex, but my tank has many extras added that require power.

We have a mag 18 pump that supplies the chiller and a biopellet reactor. I've set it up so that the flow can be adjusted individually. I may add a carbon and gfo reactor at some point that will be supplied by the same pump.

Matt

datahoe

Thanks Choff. Can I ask which pump you currently use? Ive been trying to research the reactor and figure in if that is something I will need in the future. But I'm glad the money is well spent so far on the Apex. So far i really like the connectivity and ability to monitor via Iphone and Ipad. I still have time before I start adding fish. according to my Reef Mature Pro Kit I should be starting to add cleanup crew next week. I'm already seeing a mass of pods in the sump and DT!

I have a jbj 1/3 and highly recommend it. I like the dimensions better too for our cabinet. :) you will need a pump for that chiller on the 650. I'd looking in the 800-1200gph range. You can run any future reactors from it as well.

Gratz on the tank and like all the steps you have taken. You have done your research. Oh... 2 eb8s is not overkill. You'll use all those slots.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

datahoe

Thaks Nano! I hate to sound too brand new but how do I start a tank thread? I thought by starting this thread it was my tank thread? I'm in the process of resizing some photos so I can upload here on Reef Sanctuary and link through photobucket

datahoe

Nob35 Ive been following your threads and like the mods you have done so far. While I like the idea of the LEDs Im just so nervous about cutting or drilling into my new 650! With experience I'm sure my confidence level will rise :)

Welcome and congrats on the tank. They are great wether you keep them stock or change them up some. I have the JBJ 1/3 also and it works great and is not to loud and it is true that you will need another pump for it. I use a 1200gph pump to run my UV sterilizer and chiller. I also have the apex and 2-EB8's and I agree it is not overkill as I'm still using 5 outlets from the 650 and the 16 from the apex, but my tank has many extras added that require power.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I thought by starting this thread it was my tank thread?

You did - Cheers mate - this is it... I welcome all new members to RS with the same cut & paste - I look forward to seeing the pics & following along

on a sidebar - uploading your pics to photobucket, will automatically resize them - very easy & then you can just paste in the img link from photobucket here & they will appear :)

Checkout post # 7 here

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html

datahoe

Thanks Matt...I forgot...I have a Mag 18 to pump my new water that is mixed from my RO/DI filter from my basement to the aquarium for water change days. The pump seems a little loud but for just pumping the water up once a week I dont mind. I wish I had the option of plumbing the water from the basement to the tank. Would be so much easier. Oh well maybe a future upgrade, At least I'm not doing the old "bucket brigade" up the stairs :)

Ive seen several posts referencing a biopellet reactor but I have yet to find information on them. What are the benefits? Is that something I need to concern myself with a young reef aquarium that is just starting to grow?

We have a mag 18 pump that supplies the chiller and a biopellet reactor. I've set it up so that the flow can be adjusted individually. I may add a carbon and gfo reactor at some point that will be supplied by the same pump.

Matt

Nob35

Thanks the leds are not to bad. If done slowly you could do it and still use it for the T5's if something goes wrong or do not like them. As for the reactors I use a spectrapure GFO and Carbon reactor, it is a simple setup and only cost about $100 for reactor and pump. They basically replace the media tray. The GFO takes phosphates out of water and carbon takes nitrates.

Ive seen several posts referencing a biopellet reactor but I have yet to find information on them. What are the benefits? Is that something I need to concern myself with a young reef aquarium that is just starting to grow?

I wanted the biopellet reactor because I don't like the mess of a regular refugium. If you are going to use one I would do it now because it can take several months before it really starts working. The pellets have to build up the bacteria. All we have in the refugium is extra rock, the reactor, and the pump.

The jury is still out on the pellets. Our levels are good. We have a small amount of nitrates but everything else is 0. I really don't like the Red Sea test kit for nitrates. It's too hard to read. We end up guessing. Our nitrates are about 5-7. I added more pellets last week because of our increased load. Not that I'm concerned with our nitrate levels but we were only running about 1/3 of what is recommended for our tank. We are up to 2/3 now. You have to start slow on the pellets. Our lfs only uses biopellet reactors. Swears by them. However he said that you need to run alkalinity in the low range. About 8. Ours ranges from 7-8 and everything looks great. One of the lfs employees says he runs his in the 6s for alkalinity and his sps corals look great.

Matt

datahoe

Sorry for the late update but between work, and school, and now the aquarium havent had a chance to post pictures but here is my first attempt at using photobucket to track my progress so far. This picture is of the arrival day

IMG_0240_zps9d120fbd.jpg

datahoe

Photobucket is so easy.....thanks for sharing how to use! Ok this was assembly day getting things in order

IMG_0247_zpsf8383c2e.jpg

and another

IMG_0246_zpsae3560cd.jpg

And another :)

IMG_0245_zpsb8670368.jpg

If anyone doesnt think this was a PITA my hat is off to them! This was an Ikea build on steroids!!! :) But I had fun struggling with it. Self inflicted pain of course :)