Crocea dying

sjt6494

I had bought a 4 inch crocea about a month ago I placed it on a rock....it launches itself and ends up on the sand bed...I place it back up but on a different location...it does it again...so I just left it. On the sand..as days went by its mantle wouldn't expose itself like it use to ans today its almost completly non existant...there is still some meat inside..idk what the issue is..is it the light. I did the math and its getting the right amount of light....unless the par is to high for it....or my parameters are off...

GrendelPrime

what are ur parameters? and whats ur calcium lvl at? did u notice any worms or other things crawling on it? and what other coral were near it? how old is the tank and what kind of lighting u rocking?

sjt6494

I did a calcium test it seems to be over 450...my nitrates are 40ppm..I have 150 watt 14k phoenix in a 34 gallon rsm...the rock is bali and marshall. My friend says my calcium test have to be wrong I am nit adding anything to make it high...

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Those nitrates are very high for a clam they need good water quality, I'd suggest so water changes and get the trates down.

If its receeded to far it's could be a lost cause.

GrendelPrime

ca lvl actualy isnt that bad IMO ide be more worried about those nitrates bein that high, have u noticed any critters hangin inside the mantle of the clam? and what other coral do u have near the clam?

Corailline

I am more inclined to think the clam was photo shocked, rather than the nitrates. Clams can be touchy, it just happens.

Corailline

Clams need acclimation to lighting just like when you get a new bulb. Clams going from lower light levels to higher light levels may become photo shocked too quickly to make a recovery. Corcea clams have been the most delicate of all clams for me. That and smaller clams less than 2.5 inches. While a nitrate of 40 ppm is higher, clams do like some nitrates. A happy clam is a clam that stays put. When clams are new I take a hands off approuch except for offering them a rock with a depression in it, otherwise if they go to the sand bed that is where they stay for a week or so.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Clams need acclimation to lighting just like when you get a new bulb. Clams going from lower light levels to higher light levels may become photo shocked too quickly to make a recovery. Corcea clams have been the most delicate of all clams for me. That and smaller clams less than 2.5 inches. While a nitrate of 40 ppm is higher, clams do like some nitrates. A happy clam is a clam that stays put. When clams are new I take a hands off approuch except for offering them a rock with a depression in it, otherwise if they go to the sand bed that is where they stay for a week or so.
It is doubtful the lighting is the issue here considering the water parameters. Though I do agree some acclimation is good, it will not cause a clam to recede and die. It will self acclimate in a few days. sjt6494 has only 150w 14k over this tank. Not a lot of light even over a 30 gal. RSM.
T.Crocea are mainly sand and rubble dwelling clams. That is why it kept moving off the rocks. It prefers a loose substrate to anchor into.

sjt6494, the best way we can help you is if you post a full spread of your water parameters. As mentioned earlier, clams need high quality water in order to thrive. Please post the following test results even if you have already. It will help me to have them all in one post so you can get the help your looking for:
Calcium
alkalinity
magnesium
ph
salinity + salt brand + water change schedule
temperatures (day and night)
nitrates
phosphates

If you are not testing for all of these then you were not ready for a clam. Also how old is this system?
Pictures would help a lot also. I would particularly like to see close ups of the shell foot and mantle.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I agree with frankie seriously doubt it was light shock but didn't want to go there :D