CRISIS's Red Sea Max 130

crisis

Hi everyone,

After doing a lot of reading and planning, I've finally gotten the time and stability (no more summer vacation's haha), to start my first reef aquarium. I've been keeping planted aquariums and breeding crystal red shrimp for a while, and will also be starting a new planted tank pretty soon. I might post some updates on that in this thread as well.

I was lucky and got a great deal on a red sea max 130 on craigslist a few months back, and just started setting it up a few weeks ago.
My current set up is mostly stock. I've replaced the stock skimmer with a Tunze 9002 skimmer and Stevie T's skimmer cup. I really regret not getting the media rack :eek:( . I've got a Koralia nano pump in there that came when I bought the setup. I'll be replacing the bulbs in the next few days. I took out all of the media, and will stick in some chemi-pure elite in when my cycle is over. There is about 45 lbs of live rock in there, and 30 lbs of sand seeded with 5lbs of live sand.

I've aquascaped a few times, and I'm still not totally happy with what I have, but I might just leave it for now. I've learned a ton on this forum, thanks for all the info. Hopefully this works out haha.

Here is a picture of my RSM

tank2.jpg

Some planted tank stuff

001.jpg

CL1.jpg

DSC03262.jpg

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Welcome crisis :D

You're off to a great start! Well done... I like the pictures, and you are breeding crystal red shrimp, amazing...

I look forward to seeing your tank progress..

crisis

cycling issues

So I'm a bit confused about my cycle right now. I filled the tank up about a week ago, and added the 5lbs of live sand and 30 lbs dry, and about 10 lbs of cured live rock from the LFS (super purple lol), the rock was taken from the display tanks in the store because they ran out of their normal stock, and I'm assuming its been there for a while. So I'd think there would be very little die off.

I added 35lbs of "cured" live rock I got shipped about three days ago. I got them from a guy on e-bay who says it's been in his tank for a few years, so no curing necessary. The rock came in okay, but a lot of it is bleached.

I started testing when I put the rock in, and so far have tested these numbers consistently (2-3x a day)

ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0 - 5.0

I'd assume I should have had a rise in ammonia since I've had some rock and sand in there for a week. I've also been adding a little bit of fish food in there daily to get those ammonia levels up, and still no rise.

I've got some diatoms growing on my sand, and all my other test results are coming out great.

Is it possible that my tank cycled ridiculously fast, or should I just keep adding more fish food until I see a rise in ammonia?

Dweezil

Hi Crisis ~ Welcome to the club! We seem to be getting bunches of new RMS owners lately. :cool: Will look forward to following your tank. Looks like you're off to a great start.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
crisis -
welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif

I think you may have had the right conditions to start out with no measurable cycle. The fully cured rock and bit of live sand may have ensured that. If you've been adding fish food and not seeing any ammonia you may be all set. Plus, seeing some nitrates means that you do have ammonia & nitrite being consumed & converted. Hard to guarantee, but things seem to be looking great for you.

You could do the dead shrimp thing for a few days to see how it goes. I'm not sure if it's needed or not.

By the way - the rock looks great and I enjoyed the FW pics too!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
crisis -
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

aquascape look nice - you are on your way ! We always enjoy pics, thanks for sharing !

mbdave

Welcome dude! Cured live rock is the way to go I would not expect a cycle if the rock is indeed cured.

GOOD LUCK!!
Dave

crisis

Thanks for the great welcoming everyone. I'm happy to finally get to participate on the board instead of lurk lol.

All my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels have been stable. I compulsively check them 3 times a day or more haha. I figured everything looked great, and I might have jumped the gun a bit, but I added some corals, a couple nassarius snails, and four tiny blue legged hermit crabs. Blech, i read all the bad stuff about them, but I really like watching them walk around. So last night, I checked out the tank and I see this tiny hermit crab attacking one of the snails that is like 4x bigger than the crab. I broke it up, and am kind of regretting putting them in there.

Here are some pics. I don't know exactly what the first one is, any help would be great. I got all the frags from atlanticseafarms.net , I'm local, so I was able to stop by and pick everything up. I got a super great deal, and will be going back in a couple weeks, when I know for sure things are super stable.

somemushroom.jpg

some mixed zoas. Dunno what type these are.

unknownzoa2.jpg

Torch

torch.jpg

Star Polyps

starpolyps.jpg

Whammin Watermelon Zoas

whamminwatermelon.jpg

proenca

Crisis - looking good your tank !

First coral looks some ricordea of some sorts - or rhoactis !

Nice corals ( I do envy you , I still cant put corals in ! )

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Very nice! On the unknown zoas, the names they stick on them to get more $ are not important, and mean nothing scientifically. If you like them that's what's important. They look nice to me!

Sapphire

Very nice pics and great additions. I'm quite jealous of your green toch - I'd love one but I really don't have room!!

Glad you've got it all started and look forward to following along!