crespeto's inherited 100gal adventure

crespeto

Hee hee, I had a really fun night last night over at my new friend Eric's. He has an 800gal tank in his living room that he has plumbed to another probably 300gal frag tank in the garage, and then up to a 200 gal sump, it is insane. My wife, god love her, is a closet reef geek, so she was walking around looking at stuff like a kid in a candy store. We went to look at and pick up a red/orange bubble tip nem, and left with A red/orange bubbletip, a frag of yellow zoas, darkgreen middle neon green tentacle zoas (can't remember the name), pink center green tentacle zoas, more orange monti, and a green hairy mushroom. :) And a list of things that 'we will have to start saving up for this' or 'my birthday is coming up' stuff. :)

Got home and spent hour or so shifting around some rock to try and set up over on the right side (where the clowns hang out most of the time). And moving and epoxying down the new frags and some of the ones that the wife didn't really like and wanted to move to less up front locations :) I got the camera out and was going to start snapping and turns out I had lost track of time, cause the lights went out. I didn't want to try and figure out which outlets are which light plugs. Some most of the zoas were still mostly closed up and angry from messing with them. So I'll take some pics today.

I'm also very very excited about a hitch hiker that my son found just before going to sleep when I was getting started re organizing things. Figure I would feed the tank and get everyone full and happy before messing with things. And in the middle pile of rock, back in the pile, was a smallish porcelain crab filters all poking out catching food. I ran to grab the camera but he hid out before I could get a pic. So I'll be hunting for pic of him till I get it now, was one of the things I had on my to buy list for a while, so really excited about that.

crespeto

Yeah, I know, I was really bummed when the lights kicked out, and stuff was still kind of closed up anyways. Today I get out of work at 2 to go home and watch the kids so I'm all kinds of excited to get home, by then my lights are turning on so I should be able to check things all out and get some fun pics to post. Till then just hope everyone can take my word for it :)

crespeto

So just cause I want to keep my street cred, here are the pics :)

On a not so happy note, pretty sure I have an outbreak of marine ich. Moe, the long nosed butterflyfish has some little white specks on his tail and side fins, but with all the sediment that is up in the tank all the time I just kind of figured it was that. Last couple days the royal gramma has been flashing so after reading more about it seems like it is likely that at least a couple of the fish have it. So I'm hoping to get a much more experience local reef person over to look at it and see what they think, but I'm probably going to be trying to setup my 55 gal tank somewhere and catch all the fish so I can quarantine all of them and leave the tank fallow for from what it sounds like a couple months, ug. Guess that is what I get for playing russian roulette and not getting the quarantine tank set up much sooner and actually using it. Guess we will see I'll keep you all posted.

Attachments

• IMG_9656.JPG
    IMG_9656.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9649.JPG
    IMG_9649.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9652.JPG
    IMG_9652.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9655.JPG
    IMG_9655.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9657.JPG
    IMG_9657.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 59

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I hear ya im thinkin im having n ich outbreak. Keep me informed how u move the corals n keep them safe while u catch the fish to qt.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

crespeto

well my wife thinks that it was on the longnose butterflyfish, Moe, that we put in the tank a few weeks ago. That is the one that she noticed the specks on its tail first. But that fish seems to be fine, swims normal and jumps on the food. Joyce the royal gramma, hasn't been eating all that well last couple days though so I'm thinking I may need to do something to save her. First fish and named after my grandma that started the whole fish thing for me, so really don't want anything to happen to her. If nothing else, I have the 10 and could probably fit a 20gal high next to my display in the corner where it wouldn't be bothered to much. So I may just go buy a little bit bigger tank so I can at least get her out and healed up and healthy. Some of the local guys mentioned they have dealt with it before and they have been able to control the outbreaks by raising the temp up to around 82deg over a few days and then adding stress coat to help increase the mucus coating so fish are more immune to the ich. I don't want to have to stress out the fish more trying to catch them all and then hope that I can fit them all in the 55gal that I have, if I can avoid it. I know that the only way to get rid of the ich completely would be to catch the fish, treat with hyposalinity and leave the DT with out fish for 2 or 3 months. But for now with the time demands I have and other stuff, I'm worried that I'll just stress out the fish more and wind up making matters worse. Anyone else every heard of at least clearing up the outbreak so that everything will be okay for a while by raising the temp and adding stress coat? I'll do what I have to, I just don't want to make things worse. Thanks for any advise.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Chris. Raising the temperature used to help with freshwater ich outbreaks, but no idea about the effect on the SW ich organism, or the effect on the corals and inverts.

Uslanja

Hi Chris! Nice looking additions!! Love your Nem, gorgeous colour!!! Bummer on the ich, hope it all works out well.

crespeto

thanks everyone, I set up a nice spot for the nem and it was looking like it was going to stay in it but later the next day it moved down into the rock complex over there, but when it extends for the day it opens up right in the area that I cleaned out for it, so I guess in the long run it all worked out. The clowns have checked it out but they still seem to want to try and host with the candycane for now. I keep hoping they will drop down and give the nem a try.

Well the royal gramma ate some yesterday, so that is good, keep hoping that she will hang in there. Other then that not a lot to report.

astiesi

Hey Chris, go out of town for a few days and it seems that I missed a bunch, all caught up now. Great looking nem you got there, with your luck the clowns will host the damn thing long before mine every get around to the nem that has been in there for 6 months.

As for the ick, that sucks dude. While QT with copper based treatments and a fallow display seem to be the only complete cure, there are a lot of theories as to fish being "resistive" to ich when healthy and not stressed. Some folks swear by loading up food with garlic and letting the fish fight it off themselves. While this is in no way a cure there seems be many instances of people having moderate luck with this approach.

crespeto

Thanks everyone. Tony, I'm hoping chrissy didn't like the spot it was in so we moved it around last night. Of course I ruined my rock setup, so may be doing another major frag removal and then reorganization so we can get the rocks right. Then just leave it alone. I'll keep you posted and take some pics if things seem okay. For the ich, that is what I'm doing now, I'm still not even sure that I have ich, just think that I do. Really need to get someone over to look at the fish, just kind of guessing from some of the action of one fish and the look of another one. For now I've added stress coat to help boost natural immunity to marine ich, and I'm adding a little extra garlic extract to the food and I'm hoping for the best. There aren't many other fish that I want in the tank, so mostly figure I may just lay off adding stuff for a while. And worry about getting the LED stuff figured out. Then just enjoy the tank for a while, the rest of the money save up and maybe in a couple years I can talk chrissy into letting me upgrade to like a 180 or something. Move the sand and rock and corals over to the 180 and get it running with no fish for a few months and then I can deal with the QT in the 125 then sell of the 125 setup. For now I'm going to hope they are able to fight off the ich, if I start loosing fish then I'll have to go nuclear and catch everyone and put them in the 55 and start QT.