Crazy amount of pods..

So in my tank (JBJ 28) I've noticed when I'd get algae on the sides of the tank, lots and lots of pods would love it and hang out there, but now when I look at the tank, there are pods on all 3 sides of the glass, even where there's no algae growing. Do the pods population grow and eventually eat themselves out of existence, or is this healthy to have this many living in my tank all at once? I don't have a fuge, but I let some macro grow within the DT. Only my Clown picks and grazes on them every once in a while, so there's no natural predator.

Blue Space

I don't know about eating themselves out of existance. There's always a bit of algae (even microscopic) forming somewhere and my pod's population has never seemed to diminish. Now, if you stick a hungry mandarin fish in there you might see a drop in population in the DT but as long as you have a refugium it's nothing to worry about. :D

That's what I hear. I feel like there has been an explosion of them, and even though I dont have any pod eaters, I should be cultivating or supplying them food to keep them around. I've never had tank where there's been so many, there on all sides of the glass. I must be doing something right, or just really lucky ;) Probably the later

Blue Space

definitely a good sign Joe! My onyx perc likes to pick them off the glass, and I believe I've seen my bangaii cardinal picking them off the rocks though i can't be certain that's what he's doing. Maybe you should get a mandarin? :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Their population will rise and fall in direct proportion to amount of food available. They will seem to explode but they won't "Over Run" the tank or anything. I think they are somewhat "Seasonal" in our tanks in regards to population explosions. The reason I say this is that when I had 3 tanks set up in two totally different places (2 at home and 1 here at work) I would notice a population explosion on all 3 tanks within a few days of each other. I don't know if it was a LUNAR thing or a true seasonal thing but all three tanks would have similar explosions in close timing with the others.

DesertOrchid

+1 To BigAl's comments. I've noticed an 'explosion' of pods especially in the springtime.... right along with an increase in the algae growth. More food more pods. Yeah!

54seaweed

If they are totally out of control you may consider getting a wrasse , it will help keep the pods in your tank from over populating the tank , they multiply like rabbits

sikpupy

Pods are wierd. They wax and wane with time and I never have them in my DT, that I ever see, but I have them all over the other small tanks I have in the house. {scratches his head}

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
I wouldn't recommend getting a fish to control a one-time "out break". However if you have seasonal massive population increases, then maybe. Or a small pod eater year round... And like Al has said, they tend to increase and then decrease as food supply drops...

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

I'm definitely not worried about their large population, I just was curious if they ate themselves out of existence. I'm thinking of getting a wrasse to help with my flatworm issue, so I'm sure he'll nibble on the pods here and there. I just want to keep them around...Why, I don't know, I just hear they are good :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Why:

A) They eat things other organisms don't
B) They are a good on-going food source for many marine animals
C) They are wicked cool to watch
D) They taste like CHICKEN :)